ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Giving birth in UK - Medical or Visit Visa ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Zainu
Newly Registered

Giving birth in UK - Medical or Visit Visa ?

Post by Zainu » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi,

My wife and I are planing to deliver our child in UK.

We would like to know which visa type would be a better option to apply for.

Anyone have any idea how medical visas are granted ? Is it only for those cases where adequate treatment is not available in their home country ? or can we apply for it for pregnancy ?

Do the visa officers discriminate according to the type of treatment ? Or as long as i can prove no recorse to public funds, and that all treatments will be paid for myself, and that we'll return back after the treatment - we should be ok ?

Thank You,

Zainul

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:23 pm

I am curious as to why you want to travel to the UK for child birth only??

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... g/medical/

Ted

Re: Giving birth in UK - Medical or Visit Visa ?

Post by Ted » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:29 am

Zainu wrote:Hi,

My wife and I are planing to deliver our child in UK.

We would like to know which visa type would be a better option to apply for.

Anyone have any idea how medical visas are granted ? Is it only for those cases where adequate treatment is not available in their home country ? or can we apply for it for pregnancy ?

Do the visa officers discriminate according to the type of treatment ? Or as long as i can prove no recorse to public funds, and that all treatments will be paid for myself, and that we'll return back after the treatment - we should be ok ?

Thank You,

Zainul

Firstly the most obvious question is why come to the UK to have your child?
Do you think this will give your child british citizenship?

I am a british citizen and at present I am in Vietnam for the birth of my daughter, born at an adequate general international hospital, this was not expensive.

What is your country of residence?

I can think of many cheaper options open to you other than going through a rigorous UK visa system.

Zainu
Newly Registered

Post by Zainu » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:06 am

Ted wrote:
Firstly the most obvious question is why come to the UK to have your child?
Do you think this will give your child british citizenship?

...I can think of many cheaper options open to you other than going through a rigorous UK visa system.
Thanks for your reply and concern.

To answer your 1st question - "Yes" my child will be entitled to British Citizenship as I'm a citizen by decent.

We'd like to give our child the chance to enjoy the privilege and benefits of UK citizenship. Hence, although aware of the costs of going private, we are considering it an investment in our child's future.

Hope that doesn't sound too selfish :)

Zainu
Newly Registered

Post by Zainu » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:12 am

CR001 wrote:I am curious as to why you want to travel to the UK for child birth only??

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... g/medical/
Thank you for reply.

Like I mentioned to Ted, my child is only entitled to UK citizenship if he/she is born in UK as i am by decent.

Regarding the link, although it outlines the basic do's and dont's, we were hoping to find someone with "hands-on" experience here.

The basic question we are asking is - would the visa officer consider private maternity care grounds for a Medical Visa ?

Ted

Post by Ted » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:31 am

Zainu wrote:

We'd like to give our child the chance to enjoy the privilege and benefits of UK citizenship. we are considering it an investment in our child's future.

Hope that doesn't sound too selfish :)

The Uk benefit system is contribution based, so you assume you can have a UK birth so when your child grows up they can travel to the UK and enjoy free benefits?

Zainu
Newly Registered

Post by Zainu » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:30 am

Ted wrote:
The Uk benefit system is contribution based, so you assume you can have a UK birth so when your child grows up they can travel to the UK and enjoy free benefits?
Dear Ted, I understand your concern, but we are not after any "free" benefits. UK Citizenship has much more to offer than just claiming benefits.

We just want to keep our child's options open and make future immigration processes (if any) less complicated, as we know the rules aren't getting any easier.

Our child is entitled to have British Citizenship by virtue of being born in the UK. We are simply trying to figure out the most legitimate and sincere way of doing it.

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:17 pm

If you are a BC, would you not be able to address the situation by bringing your spouse to Uk on an (Spouse?) visa, and have baby in UK. Would you not have parental entitlement as a BC to have your child born in UK (on NHS or private is immaterial)?

I don't know, just looking at alternate possibilities.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

Zainu
Newly Registered

Post by Zainu » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:53 pm

wpilr_nov12 wrote:If you are a BC, would you not be able to address the situation by bringing your spouse to Uk on an (Spouse?) visa, and have baby in UK. Would you not have parental entitlement as a BC to have your child born in UK (on NHS or private is immaterial)?

I don't know, just looking at alternate possibilities.
I could, but it requires me to have intent to settle down in the UK as well as prove sufficient income, accommodation etc., basically a lot more of a hassle. It would also take 2-3 months compared to a medical/visit visa (15-30 days).

Since we don't wish to remain in the UK, applying for a settlement visa and not using it to "settle", may work against us after the 2 year period.

Zainu
Newly Registered

Post by Zainu » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:36 am

Hi guys, anyone with any insight / experience with Medical Visas ?

We'd like to know if they are granted for simple / common treatments (eg. maternity care), or is there a criteria of seriousness or based on lack of facilities in ones country of residence ?

The Home Office website outlines the basic eligibility requirements, however we are desperately awaiting any advice from this forum before we hand in our application (hello Mods).

Zainul
-------
Running out of Time

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:10 pm

Have you read the guidance on the Ukba website and the relevant paragraphs of the immigration rules?

There is no requirement for the treatment to be complex or unavailable in the country of origin.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... /vat/vat7/

Zainu
Newly Registered

Post by Zainu » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Greenie wrote:Have you read the guidance on the Ukba website and the relevant paragraphs of the immigration rules?

There is no requirement for the treatment to be complex or unavailable in the country of origin.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... /vat/vat7/
Thanks Greenie.

Frankly, i never came across this page until now. It covers most of the points discussed in the link posted earlier by CR001, but some additional information is worrying us.

In light of our situation (ie. maternity care), what do you make of this :
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... /#header14

Especially this line concerns us :
Admission as a visitor under the Immigration Rules to act as a surrogate mother is inappropriate .... since the applicant would not be suffering from any medical condition.
....Any application from a woman to enter the UK to act as a surrogate should normally be refused on the grounds that there is no provision in the Rules.
which brings us back to their definition of "Medical Condition".

Another concern is, as i mentioned earlier, we are going through this entire exercise to give our child a chance of UK Citizenship - can they use this against us, saying ulterior motives ?

I'm sorry if your answers give way to more questions !

Thank you.

Zainul

thebionicredneck2003
Member of Standing

Post by thebionicredneck2003 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi,

Based on the link provided by the very knowledgable Greenie, I don't see why you are bothered with the surrogate stipulation, as your wife would not be a surrogate mother or am I missing something else?

Kind Regards

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:26 pm

Also read the relevant guidance document on this page

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... /visiting/

the reason why they make a point about a surrogate is that the woman in question would presumably not yet be pregnant and also there are ethical issues to do with surrogacy.

I don't think there is an issue with why you want the child to be born here as long as the requirements are met and they are satisfied she is a genuine medical visitor who intends on leaving the UK at the end of the visit.

Zainu
Newly Registered

Post by Zainu » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:09 pm

thebionicredneck2003 wrote:Based on the link provided by the very knowledgable Greenie, I don't see why you are bothered with the surrogate stipulation, as your wife would not be a surrogate mother or am I missing something else?
What threw me off was the - "not be suffering from any medical condition" part.

As a laymen, being a surrogate mother seemed "medically" the same to me as being naturally pregnant.....after the initial stage of conceiving.

I'm probably being over cautious, but i just wanted to cover my bases as i only get one shot at the application due to lack of time.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:39 pm

Yes but they are talking about a woman who is not yet pregnant coming to the UK in order to be a surrogate mother. See the more detailed explanation in my second link above.

Zainu
Newly Registered

Post by Zainu » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:41 pm

"Thank You" - my learned friends !

hs6472
Newly Registered
India

Post by hs6472 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:48 am

SO what type of visa did you go for ?

Cant we simply apply for a visitor visa and once we are there, pay for the NHS child birth services ? IS this possible ? Any reply would be highly appreciated

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:06 am

hs6472 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:48 am
SO what type of visa did you go for ?

Cant we simply apply for a visitor visa and once we are there, pay for the NHS child birth services ? IS this possible ? Any reply would be highly appreciated
This thread is 5 years old and Zainu hasn't visited the forum since Dec 12, 2012 :!:

Please continue in your own thread.
general-uk-immigration-forum/visa-type- ... l#p1562520
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.