ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does tier 1 leads to British Nationlity

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

safeery2k
Mood:
Pakistan

Does tier 1 leads to British Nationlity

Post by safeery2k » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi,

I'm on Tier 1 General visa and going to apply for settlement/PR/indefinite leave to remain. I've heard that it doesn't lead to a British passport, it's just mean that I can stay here for as long as i can but can't be a national...is it true?

Thanks,

scorpio_besal
Member of Standing
India

Post by scorpio_besal » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:56 pm

Regards,
A Mutant Member

SPECIAL NOTE:- Thanks for creating such a nice forum where all of us can help each other... BIG THANKS TO THE ADMIN,SENIORS for being there to help others.

safeery2k
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by safeery2k » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks for your reply...
I've one more question...I came here on 18th March 2009 and then got extension in Feb 2012 meaning its expiring on 28th Feb 2014 now. as per the requirements I need to complete 5 years before I can apply for nationality, this means that I need to apply for PR first and then one 5 years are completed, I can apply for nationality....is it true?

Thanks,
Safeer

scorpio_besal
Member of Standing
India

Post by scorpio_besal » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:07 am

After completing 5 full years in the UK on a Tier 2 General Visa you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) so long as you have not spent any more than 90 days outside the country in any one year.

Please note however that if you are planning to leave the UK (after securing settlement) for an extended period (2+ years) you will lose your entitlement to the status and you will need to qualify all over again.

Eligibility for British Citizenship

In order to qualify for British Citizenship you must have met the following requirements:

You must have been living in the UK for at least 6 years on a qualifying status, AND
During the 6 years you must not have been left the UK for more than 450 days, AND
During the 12 months prior to the application you must have held ILR Status, AND
You must not have been in breach of immigration rules during the 6 years
If you meet the above criteria you may be able to apply for UK Naturalisation
Regards,
A Mutant Member

SPECIAL NOTE:- Thanks for creating such a nice forum where all of us can help each other... BIG THANKS TO THE ADMIN,SENIORS for being there to help others.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:01 am

scorpio_besal wrote:Eligibility for British Citizenship

In order to qualify for British Citizenship you must have met the following requirements:

You must have been living in the UK for at least 6 years on a qualifying status, AND
During the 6 years you must not have been left the UK for more than 450 days, AND
During the 12 months prior to the application you must have held ILR Status, AND
You must not have been in breach of immigration rules during the 6 years
If you meet the above criteria you may be able to apply for UK Naturalisation
These requirements are not correct. The qualifying residential period (if not married to a BC) is 5 years not 6.

However, in order to apply for British citizenship, (unless married to a BC) there is a requirement to hold ILR for 1 year so effectively you can only apply after about 6 years of residence. However, only the last 5 years before the application count (i.e. to meet the requirements for the absences).

scorpio_besal
Member of Standing
India

Post by scorpio_besal » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:15 am

What i meant was, 5 years of residence + 1 year of ILR (residence) = 6 years of stay in order to apply for British citizenship.

And only the first 5 years are counted from the 6 years of stay to calculate the absence.
Regards,
A Mutant Member