ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Experiences on Requesting Passports back from UKBA (EEA2)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lee333

Post by lee333 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:58 pm

flipper77 wrote:Hi lee333,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner - but looks like you don't need the info anyway! You must be thrilled to know your passports are on the way!

Had you included a Special Delivery envelope? I'll be interested to hear if they use it to return your passport. (When I sent my application, I included a return Special Delivery envelope for return of documents/passports and also an envelope with a first class stamp for them to send my COA - which they didn't use.).

Hope you have a great time away!

Hi Flipper,

No dramas at all, and yes absolutely thrilled!!

Yes, I included a small Special Delivery envelope for passport returns and a large one for the return of everything else. UKBA mentioned to the lawyers that they would be using the included Special Delivery envelope... I assume they mentioned this because it was self addressed and the lawyers had requested that the passports were send to them.

I will report back as to whether they a) use the Special Delivery envelope and/or b) whether they use the correct one!!

lee333

Post by lee333 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:40 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:Lee333 That's UNREAL! Do you know what the solicitors said/if I can get a copy of that letter? Haha. I'm a law student and have wondered if "representing myself" would be sufficient, or if it needs to go on a qualified solicitor's official letterhead.

Sofia, I sent you a PM.

lee333

Post by lee333 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:59 am

The immigration lawyers told me yesterday to expect the passports today. I honestly did not expect them until Monday, as Saturday delivery would have meant the UKBA paying extra.

Well, they did!!

Passports delivered this morning in the correct (A5) Special Delivery envelope with the Saturday Guarantee sticker on it.

Included was a covering letter which states in part:

"Please accept my apologies for the undue delay. Both your passport and your sponsor's passport is being returned to enable you to travel."

heshamg
Newly Registered

Post by heshamg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:43 pm

lee333 wrote:The immigration lawyers told me yesterday to expect the passports today. I honestly did not expect them until Monday, as Saturday delivery would have meant the UKBA paying extra.

Well, they did!!

Passports delivered this morning in the correct (A5) Special Delivery envelope with the Saturday Guarantee sticker on it.

"Please accept my apologies for the undue delay. Both your passport and your sponsor's passport is being returned to enable you to travel."
How much did you have to pay them Lee?

I want my passport asap and I am travelling next Sunday. I sent request on Friday last week!

lee333

Post by lee333 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:47 pm

heshamg wrote:
lee333 wrote:The immigration lawyers told me yesterday to expect the passports today. I honestly did not expect them until Monday, as Saturday delivery would have meant the UKBA paying extra.

Well, they did!!

How much did you have to pay them Lee?

I want my passport asap and I am travelling next Sunday. I sent request on Friday last week!

They charged me £180 inc VAT.

zz00ee
Newly Registered

Post by zz00ee » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:26 am

1. Was your request for an emergency or leisurely travel? If for leisurely travel, did you state so in your request?

I did state the reason and it is for family Christmas Holiday, booked nonrefundable flights etc.

2. Did you a) fill in the document return form, b) just email the liverpool office with your names and reference number, or c) send a letter through the post with the request (possibly containing the official form)?

b): send a email stated reason and case NO.

3. How long did it take for your passports to be returned from the day of your first request?

No news

4. Did you request them back before or after you received your COA?

After received the COA

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:46 am

Hey zz00ee! How long ago did you request your passports/when are you booked to travel? How long did you wait between receiving COA and requesting your passports?

zz00ee
Newly Registered

Post by zz00ee » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:51 am

sofia.d.c wrote:Hey zz00ee! How long ago did you request your passports?
On Nov 15, I send a cover letter with my application and in the writing I did mention I need my passport back. I got the COA on 20th Nov without my passport, so I send email request on 23rd Nov. No news.

5 of us are leaving for a Christmas on early of 19th Dec. If I can't go, no one will. My friend who is visiting me doesn't speak English, my son is only 8 year old, he can't travel without his mum. etc....

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:09 pm

If you look at the earlier postings, you can see that a couple of people contacted their MP's to get it sorted out. If you call/email your MP, he/she might be able to put a word in for you!

zz00ee
Newly Registered

Post by zz00ee » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:23 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:If you look at the earlier postings, you can see that a couple of people contacted their MP's to get it sorted out. If you call/email your MP, he/she might be able to put a word in for you!
Thank you Sofia, I send a message to my local MP this morning, heard nothing back yet.

How is your situation?

Erik84

Post by Erik84 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:09 pm

Well, they did!!
That's fantastic! I requested the passports back on 4/12/12 for a trip for christmas. Might go the lawyer route straight away to avoid stressing over not making it. May I ask which lawyer you used? Also, I'd love to see the fax they sent.

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:24 am

Hey zz00ee! This probably sounds insane but I have yet to send in my application. My boyfriend and I are getting married January 3rd and sending in our eea2 application that afternoon. I am hoping that we'll be able to go away for my reading week the first week of March, otherwise, I won't really be able to travel until June. I'm doing a lot of research preemptively to try and figure out the best way to request passports back. To be honest, at the moment, it doesn't look like ANY way is a good way to request passports back unless you get in touch with your MP or a lawyer, which is a sad, sad thought!

flipper77

Still no news...

Post by flipper77 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:32 pm

Just thought I'd let you know that I still have not received back mine and my partner's passports.

I contacted my MP's office Monday of last week, and they have contacted the UKBA, and have been able to confirm that both of my email requests have been received. I'm waiting to hear back from the MP's office this afternoon, as after they made the initial call, they have to wait to allow the UKBA to get back to them - which they haven't yet done.

I also spoke to an immigration lawyer (the same one that lee333 used) - and they said that they'd be happy to open a file for me, and to contact the UKBA, however there is absolutely no guarantees that they'll be successful in getting the passports back either.

Yesterday I sent a letter by registered post, expressing my concern about not having received the passports, despite two email requests, and I also included a return special delivery envelope (in addition to the one I sent with my application - in the hope that they'll send the passports back in the small one I sent yesterday, and eventually my RC will be sent in the original Special Delivery envelope - rather than it being held in their office for weeks).

Also, I called the UKBA this morning, and was once again told to re-send the email. I pointed out that I'd already sent 2 emails, but they insisted that's all they can tell me. So I asked to speak to a supervisor, who told me the same. I asked for that person's supervisor, who I was allowed to speak to, and was told the same again. That person told me that they have very limited information in the contact centre, and that she couldn't make contact with the casework area.

It's really, really frustrating and I feel I've done all I can (well, except for using the immigration lawyer - but at an expense with no guarantees).
EEA2 Application sent: 09/10/2012
Received by UKBA: 10/10/2012
COA received: 19/10/2012 (dated 17/10/2012)
Passports requested: 14/11/12, 28/11/12 & 12/12/12 (email) and 11/12/12 (mail)
Passports received: 17/12/2012
RC received: 14/02/2013

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:47 pm

I made my request by recorded letter which was received by the UKBA on Monday 10 Dec. I also asked that the SD envelope I provided with my application be used and that my passport should be requested for stamping as I do not want my PR issued on an ISD.

Waiting for an outcome.

zz00ee
Newly Registered

Re: Still no news...

Post by zz00ee » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:29 pm

flipper77 wrote:Just thought I'd let you know that I still have not received back mine and my partner's passports.

I contacted my MP's office Monday of last week, and they have contacted the UKBA, and have been able to confirm that both of my email requests have been received. I'm waiting to hear back from the MP's office this afternoon, as after they made the initial call, they have to wait to allow the UKBA to get back to them - which they haven't yet done.

I also spoke to an immigration lawyer (the same one that lee333 used) - and they said that they'd be happy to open a file for me, and to contact the UKBA, however there is absolutely no guarantees that they'll be successful in getting the passports back either.

Yesterday I sent a letter by registered post, expressing my concern about not having received the passports, despite two email requests, and I also included a return special delivery envelope (in addition to the one I sent with my application - in the hope that they'll send the passports back in the small one I sent yesterday, and eventually my RC will be sent in the original Special Delivery envelope - rather than it being held in their office for weeks).

Also, I called the UKBA this morning, and was once again told to re-send the email. I pointed out that I'd already sent 2 emails, but they insisted that's all they can tell me. So I asked to speak to a supervisor, who told me the same. I asked for that person's supervisor, who I was allowed to speak to, and was told the same again. That person told me that they have very limited information in the contact centre, and that she couldn't make contact with the casework area.

It's really, really frustrating and I feel I've done all I can (well, except for using the immigration lawyer - but at an expense with no guarantees).

Hi, Flaper

I am very sorry to hear you story. We all feel terrible and anxious.

Followed the advise from here, I send email to my local MP. I got replied within two hour, and they asked some more details, and today I got reply from the caseworker to the MP, telling me he spoke to the UKBA who state that arrangements are being made to return my passport, once it is done, will make a call to him.

At least some positive signs, I do hope I will have my passport back by Saturday.

Don't give up, everyone, keep going!
Last edited by zz00ee on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

acacia
Newly Registered

We are locked out!

Post by acacia » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:00 pm

I have requested my passport over 25 days ago, and the UKBA simply refuses to provide me with any information or help as regards the return of my documentation.

They keep repeating that all I should do is either wait or start the process all over again, which puts me on a very difficult situation since the deadline of 10 working days starts again. Not to mention that if we all apply more than once, we will be overloading the system and causing further delays.

I will contact my MP regarding this issue and the embassy as well, since ultimately this affects my freedom of movement. I have also sent a formal complaint to the UKBA on the following email: UKBACustomerComplaints@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk.

hodd
Newly Registered

Post by hodd » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:08 pm

Hello all

I'm a UK citizen with a non-EU wife. She has the UK Entry Clearance (Family Member of an EEA National) and will now apply for the EEA2 Residence Card.

Amongst the documents we must submit, as indicated in the topic title, is my UK passport. Like a lot of other people, I need my passport for business travel. Is there any way I can request an alternative method, e.g. sending a certified copy of my passport? Many thanks for any input.

imlou
Newly Registered

Post by imlou » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:52 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:Hey zz00ee! This probably sounds insane but I have yet to send in my application. My boyfriend and I are getting married January 3rd and sending in our eea2 application that afternoon. I am hoping that we'll be able to go away for my reading week the first week of March, otherwise, I won't really be able to travel until June. I'm doing a lot of research preemptively to try and figure out the best way to request passports back. To be honest, at the moment, it doesn't look like ANY way is a good way to request passports back unless you get in touch with your MP or a lawyer, which is a sad, sad thought!
Hey Sofia - you just have to call up and ask - It might take a few weeks to get it returned, but not a big hassle or anything

Erik84

Post by Erik84 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:31 pm

Good news, I received the passports back today! I had requested them by email on 4/12/12. Quite a surprise actually - I was expecting it to take much longer, and ruin our Christmas trip to Sweden.

Passports requested: 4/12/12
Passports received: 14/12/12
RC received: TBA

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:03 pm

imlou wrote:
sofia.d.c wrote:Hey zz00ee! This probably sounds insane but I have yet to send in my application. My boyfriend and I are getting married January 3rd and sending in our eea2 application that afternoon. I am hoping that we'll be able to go away for my reading week the first week of March, otherwise, I won't really be able to travel until June. I'm doing a lot of research preemptively to try and figure out the best way to request passports back. To be honest, at the moment, it doesn't look like ANY way is a good way to request passports back unless you get in touch with your MP or a lawyer, which is a sad, sad thought!
Hey Sofia - you just have to call up and ask - It might take a few weeks to get it returned, but not a big hassle or anything
imlou: have a look at my posts - it certainly isn't as easy as calling up to ask anymore - in fact, phoning them is completely pointless in regards to requesting the return of documents, and it can only be done by emailing them.

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Congrats, Erik!! Which email address did you send your request to? And did you ask for your passports simply, or did you fill in the form? Thanks!

Erik84

Post by Erik84 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:47 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:Congrats, Erik!! Which email address did you send your request to? And did you ask for your passports simply, or did you fill in the form? Thanks!
Thanks!
I used LiverpoolEuro.PassportReturns@UKBA.gsi.gov.uk , and I used the form. I had actually asked for them back already in the original EEA2 application, but I think it was the email that did the trick.

hellrose

Post by hellrose » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:42 pm

Still haven't received my passports since emailing on November 21st. I emailed them again on December 3rd and emailed again today.
I spoke to a solicitor who told me he is having to use the same email venue and didn't want to charge me for such a service (very nice of him).
Tomorrow I will send a letter via snail mail with an enclosed paid envelope. I'll report back if that helps.

This is getting quite ridiculous I have to say.

flipper77

Passports RECEIVED!

Post by flipper77 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:39 am

After anxiously waiting over a month, I finally received our passports back this morning!

For anyone who missed it so far, this is how I did it:

14/11/2012: Emailed RODR form to RODRequests@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
14/11/2012: Realised the email should have gone to LiverpoolEuro.PassportReturns@UKBA.gsi.gov.uk, so forwarded to that address
28/11/2012: Phoned UKBA (0151 672 5626 - actual number behind 0845 010 5200), and was told to send the request via email again
28/11/2012: Sent second email to LiverpoolEuro.PassportReturns@UKBA.gsi.gov.uk
03/12/2012: After reading various posts on this forum, I decided to contact my local MP's office, to seek their assistance. They made contact with the UKBA on that day, and were told that both email requests were logged in the system and would be followed up (The MP's office then have to wait for the UKBA to come back to them)
10/12/2012: Contacted an immigration lawyer to see if they could assist. They said they would be able to, however there were no guarantees that they would be successful (didn't pursue this route)
11/12/2012: Sent a letter (Special Delivery) to the UKBA, detailing my email requests, and asking for return of the passports to allow us to travel for Christmas. I included a return Special Delivery satchel
11/12/2012: Sent a complaint to UKBACustomerComplaints@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk, explaining the contact attempted so far (yet to receive a response)
12/12/2012: Phoned UKBA again, was told once again to send another email request. I spoke to 3 different people (person who answered the phone, their supervisor, then the supervisor's supervisor) - all gave the same response - "send another email". There seems to be no route to escalate the request within the UKBA, despite them missing their 10 day "deadline" twice. Sent my third request to LiverpoolEuro.PassportReturns@UKBA.gsi.gov.uk
12/12/2012: Spoke to the MP's office again, and they were yet to hear anything from the UKBA. They then escalated their request (they seem to have their own 'relationship manager' within the UKBA) - and advised me that they would provide a response by the end of the next day.
14/12/2012: MP's office phoned to say that the UKBA had dispatched the passports the previous evening (Special Delivery Next Day) and would be with me that day - waited in, however they didn't show up (assume they were sent too late to make it "next day")
17/12/2012: Passports arrived! (Special Delivery, Saturday Guarantee - not in the satchel I provided (however Royal Mail failed to get them here on Saturday))

From reading all of the other posts in regards to requesting passports back, it definitely appears to depend on which Caseworking team your case has been allocated to, and that some Caseworking teams work slower than others.

I'd recommend to anyone who will need their passports back during the process to request them sooner rather than later.

I wish anyone luck who needs their passport back, and recommend you contact your local MP as soon as the initial 10 day period has passed.

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:30 pm

Congrats to Flipper for finally getting the passports in! Sorry it was such a pain. Thanks for sharing your experience, though!