ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

prevent Loosing ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

maria78
Newly Registered

prevent Loosing ILR

Post by maria78 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:11 pm

I have a ILR for the last two years on the basis of work( i dont want to naturalise and want to loose my current nationality). I dont have have my own house(so rent), and but work here, and I am single.
so hard to prove ties to this country.

Will I loose ILR, say If I move to Canada on study visa for three years ?

What can i do to ensure that I dont loose the ILR ?

I am prepare to come stay in UK say every six month for, say for a month. Now what about the Immigrations officers at the airport when they see a student visa on my passport, can they immediately revoke it ??

I hears, if I leave for canada on a work visa they can cancel the ILR visa, is that true ?

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: prevent Loosing ILR

Post by physicskate » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:58 pm

maria78 wrote:I have a ILR for the last two years on the basis of work( i dont want to naturalise and want to loose my current nationality). I dont have have my own house(so rent), and but work here, and I am single.
so hard to prove ties to this country.

Will I loose ILR, say If I move to Canada on study visa for three years ?

What can i do to ensure that I dont loose the ILR ?

I am prepare to come stay in UK say every six month for, say for a month. Now what about the Immigrations officers at the airport when they see a student visa on my passport, can they immediately revoke it ??

I hears, if I leave for canada on a work visa they can cancel the ILR visa, is that true ?
Leaving for that amount of time WILL negate your ILR. If you do not return to live here for two years, it is curtailed. If you are away for three years and not living in the UK for three years, this will almost certainly flag up some concern...

Most countries (including the UK) allow dual citizenship. Not sure where that concern has come from....

malepiscean
United Kingdom

Re: prevent Loosing ILR

Post by malepiscean » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:10 pm

maria78 wrote:i dont want to naturalise and want to loose my current nationality
This question is specific to your current citizensip. What is your current citizenship?
maria78 wrote:Will I loose ILR, say If I move to Canada on study visa for three years ?
Since you say study visa above I'm assuming you are not Canadian citizen either...
A few thoughts (I'm not an expert but these do feel like the right things to do):
1) Since you got your ILR based on work, as you say, is there anyway you could link your employment here in UK with your studies? In other words, would your employer be willing to state that, the degree/diploma that you'd get would help your career progression in your current company? Possibly, even provide you with an unpaid leave of absence (for the duration of you completing your studies), albeit your current job intact - that would be a tie to this country I suppose - such a policy is in place in my company - not sure whether it would apply to a 3 year duration - but I have seen precedents for 1.5-2 years
2) Could you sublet your current accomodation? Receive rent from your tenant, and then pay it to your landlord - therefore a UK tax payer?
3) Are you a registered voter? If not, becoming one and voting when there is an election might make a difference...

Not sure how much of it would help...