ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I need a Valid passport to apply for BC if current expire

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SHK

Do I need a Valid passport to apply for BC if current expire

Post by SHK » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:10 pm

My current passport expire and my ILR stamp is on it.

Do I need to apply for new passort to send along with mt BC application.

If I use Nationality Checking Service (NCS) service then what will be the condition on validity of passort date.

trs2011
- thin ice -

Post by trs2011 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:31 pm

It doesn't matter even if it has expired , its still important to use . My passport had already expired when i applied , and they processed my application without any issue , what they need to see is your personal information on the passport and any travels you made in the past etc to see if you meet all the requirements .

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:58 am

You don't need a valid passport but will need to provide alternative evidence for your residence (payslips, utility bills etc) since the expiry date as passports are used to prove residence.

cybekpmc
Newly Registered

Post by cybekpmc » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:23 pm

Hi,

I have a similar query. My daughter's passport (5 years old) is also expiring in a week's time. I am are eligible to apply for British citizenship ( already completed 1.5 years on ILR).

Should I renew/reissue my daugther's indian passport before applying for BC in Jan 2013 or can I apply even when the indian passport has expired. Is there any guidance provided by UKBA ?

Thanks
VB

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:21 pm

Similar query. Similar answer.

Tier1_ILR_Applicant

Post by Tier1_ILR_Applicant » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:48 pm

Jambo wrote:You don't need a valid passport but will need to provide alternative evidence for your residence (payslips, utility bills etc) since the expiry date as passports are used to prove residence.
Hi Jambo,

I would have thought not having a valid passport is proof enough that you did not travel and stayed in UK? Or providing alternative evidence for residence like payslips, utility bills etc compulsory? If yes, (as mentioned in your post above) could you kindly point me towards the source of this information? I would really appreciate your comments/help.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:09 pm

Well, who says you didn't have a new passport and used that to travel for several months but now claim you didn't have one and stayed in the UK all that time?

Check the last page of the application form or the guide for evidence required to prove residence.

Tier1_ILR_Applicant

Post by Tier1_ILR_Applicant » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:13 pm

Jambo wrote:Well, who says you didn't have a new passport and used that to travel for several months but now claim you didn't have one and stayed in the UK all that time?

Check the last page of the application form or the guide for evidence required to prove residence.
Well said! Thanks for your help.

Tier1_ILR_Applicant

Post by Tier1_ILR_Applicant » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:09 pm

Jambo - my passport expired this August and I am looking to apply for naturalisation end of this month. I am planning on sending my passport and Utility bills from August to December. Is this sufficient in your view to prove residency requirement?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:52 am

[url=http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/nationality/guide_an.pdf]Guide AN[/url] page 14 wrote:APPLICATIONS MADE ON THE BASIS OF RESIDENCE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM

Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 (or, if the applicant is married to or in civil partnership to a British citizen, 3) years before the date of the application

• Your passports
OR
say why you are unable to provide one on page 13 and supply:
• Letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments indicating the applicant’s presence in the United Kingdom during the relevant period

Tier1_ILR_Applicant

Post by Tier1_ILR_Applicant » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:39 pm

Thanks Jambo - Probably a daft question and I think I know the answer but seeking a second opinion for reassurance. Do you think council tax statement will be sufficient? Do you think they fall under "government department"?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:55 pm

I would think so. You don't have many months to cover anyway.

Tier1_ILR_Applicant

Post by Tier1_ILR_Applicant » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Jambo wrote:I would think so. You don't have many months to cover anyway.