ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

non-EU citizen's rights in UK under 2003/109 (if any)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chara
Newly Registered

non-EU citizen's rights in UK under 2003/109 (if any)

Post by chara » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:25 pm

Hi all,

I am a Chilean worker who has been lawfully resident in the UK for 6 years. Like many others, I (wrongly) thought the 2003/109 EC Directive applied to the UK and was ready to apply for long term residency. More importantly, i was hoping LTR would mean that my (Chilean) husband could come and join me here in the UK as I would would, effectively, be an EU citizen. There's a chance I might move to Spain as it seems easier there to sort out long term residency. A few questions before I arrange for my husband to come over :

1. is it worth pursuing long-term residency for myself here in the UK even though the UK opted out of the Directive?
2. Does my 6 year period here in the UK increase my chances in gaining LTR in Spain or will I have to start all over again and reside there for 5 years?

many thanks
:cry:

JAJ
Australia

Re: non-EU citizen's rights in UK under 2003/109 (if any)

Post by JAJ » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:40 am

chara wrote:Hi all,

I am a Chilean worker who has been lawfully resident in the UK for 6 years. Like many others, I (wrongly) thought the 2003/109 EC Directive applied to the UK and was ready to apply for long term residency. More importantly, i was hoping LTR would mean that my (Chilean) husband could come and join me here in the UK as I would would, effectively, be an EU citizen. There's a chance I might move to Spain as it seems easier there to sort out long term residency. A few questions before I arrange for my husband to come over :

1. is it worth pursuing long-term residency for myself here in the UK even though the UK opted out of the Directive?
In what capacity have you been "lawfully resident" for 6 years. Working, studying etc?

Why can you not bring your husband to the UK as a dependent on whatever visa you currently have?
2. Does my 6 year period here in the UK increase my chances in gaining LTR in Spain or will I have to start all over again and reside there for 5 years?
I strongly suspect you would have to start from scratch. You'd also have to meet Spain's requirements for a visa/permit.

The only advantage in Spain is that citizens of some Latin American countries may be able to take advantage of a reduced residence period for Spanish citizenship.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:44 am

Spain also has special provisions for direct decendants of Spanish citizens living in Latin America. Might be worth a try if you have Spanish ancestry.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

chara
Newly Registered

thanks

Post by chara » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:23 pm

Thanks for all the information. I have a work permit here but it's dependent on my employer of course. When you say my husband could move here 'as a dependent', does this mean that he would not have to come over on his own work permit?

I never knew about the Spanish ancestry option; I'll look into that, thanks.

Cheeky to ask, but does it make a difference if we have children here?

thanks again.

JAJ
Australia

Re: thanks

Post by JAJ » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:57 am

chara wrote:Thanks for all the information. I have a work permit here but it's dependent on my employer of course. When you say my husband could move here 'as a dependent', does this mean that he would not have to come over on his own work permit?
As far as I am aware, he could come as a dependent on your work permit. Others will know more about this.
Cheeky to ask, but does it make a difference if we have children here?
Sorry, no. A child born in the United Kingdom (since 1983) only gets British citizenship if at least one parent is a British citizen or permanent resident. Or child lives in the UK until age 10.

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Post by flyboy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:14 am

If you've been here for the last 6 years on a work permit, can't you apply for Indefnite leave to remain(permanent residency) under UK law? Then your husband could apply for a spouse visa to join you as the spouse of a person present and settled in the UK.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: thanks

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:09 am

JAJ wrote:A child born in the United Kingdom (since 1983) only gets British citizenship if at least one parent is a British citizen or permanent resident. Or child lives in the UK until age 10.
Maybe to just add a little bit:

A child born in the United Kingdom (since 1983) only gets British citizenship if at least one parent is a British citizen or permanent resident (or becomes a British citizen or permanent resident after the child's birth). Or child lives in the UK until age 10.