ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

starting as a contractor in amsterdam

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Noemi
Newly Registered

starting as a contractor in amsterdam

Post by Noemi » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:22 pm

Hi,

My husband has just gotten a job as a contractor in amtserdam, to start next month March.
I am an EU citizen, he is married to me and has a multiple shengen visa on his passport (Nigerian passport). We are still living in the uk, but are planning to move to amsterdam once he starts the job.
We would like to know what we need to do to get a work permit for him and also if he can work while he is applying for the work permit?
We have called the embassy here in the Uk and in amterdam, but keep getting conflicting information.

Saying i need to get the EU residency permit sticker on my passport , by registering in the City hall and then he can register to get the same sticker, then he can work. The other says he needs the work permit first before getting the resident sticker. We are confused.

Please can anyone give us some helpful information?

Thank you

Noemi

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:37 am

What did the embassy say?

And what did they say when you called the Netherlands?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:19 am

You say you are an EU Citizen, but do not say which country. I am going to assume that you are not Dutch.

Since the new EU regulations came in on 30.04.06 the countries of the EU can no longer insist upon citizens of other EU countries, wishing to exercise Treaty Rights, getting a Residence Permit. If such as application is made then that is fine, but it is no longer compulsory.

Your husband needs to apply for a Dutch-issued EEA Family Permit. Given that he is currently legally resident in the UK that application can be made here in the UK, rather than him needing to go back to Nigeria to make the application.

As an EU Citizen ... which country by the way .... you have EU Treaty Rights. As your family member your husband has the same Treaty Rights ... but needs to EEA Family Permit in his passport in order to prove it. Armed with that permit he has the same ability to exercise those Treaty Rights, including the right to live and work.

When you get to the Netherlands, in what way do you intend to exercise your Treaty Rights? Study? Work? Or how?

The EEA Family Permit will be of 6 months duration. Once the two of you have moved to the Netherlands, and it is clear you are both exercising Treaty Rights there, and obviously before the expiry of the 6-month Permit, your husband needs to apply for a 5-year Residence Card. At the same time, if you want, you can apply for your own Residence Permit, but as stated above, it is not compulsory for you to do so.
John