ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Going on holiday while EEA2 application is processing

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

imlou
Newly Registered

Going on holiday while EEA2 application is processing

Post by imlou » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:47 am

Hey guys,

I'm planning on going to my girlfriend's parent's place in Germany for Christmas next week and wanted to know what to expect at the border on the way back.

I'm from New Zealand and I applied for an EEA2 Family permit in July (based on my relationship with my German gf), and am waiting for it to process. I'll be travelling with my girlfriend on the way back, but from my experience of going on holiday this past weekend I may find some difficulties.

I've lived and worked in the UK for the past 2 years (working holiday visa), and I went to Austria for the weekend and on the way back got a bit of a telling off and he said he could send me back to Austria! My certificate of application is quite old now as it was issued in october. The border agency was closed when I arrived so he couldn't call them up and check my status...

I called up the border agency and they couldn't help me at all - weren't willing to send a letter with an update that I could show to people on the border, and didn't really know what I could do.

Does anyone know what to expect on my way back from Germany? Are they going to send me back? Are they going to be kind and let me back in? It's only for a week, so following their advice and getting applying for a "EEA family permit at a British diplomatic post before returning to this country" is impractical.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:56 am

It's a bit more complex as you are not married and don't have automatic residence rights.

A two months old CoA is not old. It is valid for six months. It is not your fault it takes ages for the HO to handle European applications.

You would probably going to be told off again but I don't think they will deny entry although there is always the risk of it happening.

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:23 am

imlou,

As a NZ citizen, aren't you considered a non-visa national? Is the problem that your WHV has expired?
EEA2 Application sent: 09/10/2012
Received by UKBA: 10/10/2012
COA received: 19/10/2012 (dated 17/10/2012)
Passports requested: 14/11/12, 28/11/12 & 12/12/12 (email) and 11/12/12 (mail)
Passports received: 17/12/2012
RC received: 14/02/2013

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:40 am

Hey Imlou, can you post how you requested your passport back and the timeline in this forum please? http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 5dc025049d

imlou
Newly Registered

Post by imlou » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:51 pm

flipper77 wrote:imlou,

As a NZ citizen, aren't you considered a non-visa national? Is the problem that your WHV has expired?
Nope... need a visa to get in! We can get in for holiday alright, but anything else and we're the same as anyone else that's non-eu

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: Going on holiday while EEA2 application is processing

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:41 am

imlou wrote:I've lived and worked in the UK for the past 2 years (working holiday visa), and I went to Austria for the weekend and on the way back got a bit of a telling off and he said he could send me back to Austria! My certificate of application is quite old now as it was issued in october. The border agency was closed when I arrived so he couldn't call them up and check my status...
Who is "he" who said he could send you back to Austria? Odd!

And the border agency was closed???? Not a chance!

imlou
Newly Registered

Re: Going on holiday while EEA2 application is processing

Post by imlou » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:24 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
imlou wrote:I've lived and worked in the UK for the past 2 years (working holiday visa), and I went to Austria for the weekend and on the way back got a bit of a telling off and he said he could send me back to Austria! My certificate of application is quite old now as it was issued in october. The border agency was closed when I arrived so he couldn't call them up and check my status...
Who is "he" who said he could send you back to Austria? Odd!

And the border agency was closed???? Not a chance!
He - I mean the guy at the border control. I don't know exactly who he was calling - I assume it was the border agency home office (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/).

Anyway, he didn't seem to have access to any info about my residence card application - said I should get a letter with an update of my application, but whenever I've called the home office they keep saying they can't do that unless I've gone past the 6 month period...!