ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Refund from UKBA

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tier-1

Refund from UKBA

Post by tier-1 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:42 am

Hello Friends, Just to let everybody know and possibly benefit, I am putting down my experience below.

In April this year, the UKBA had rejected my application for tier-1 extension on the grounds that I did not meed the maintaianance funds criterion for 5 days during the 90 day period. I had sent additional bank statements later (after submitting my main application) for this but the UKBA did not take those additional stmts. into consideration. I remember whenever used to ask the customer service about the additional stmts. I had sent, they would say that a caseworker may or may not consider any document sent after the main application. They were clearly being dishonest.

After they turned down my first application, I was left with only a weeks time to apply again. I applied again and got the extension. However I decided that I am not going to sit back and accept the atrocity of UKBA and will seek refund of the application fee of first application.

So I started the formal complaint procedure. In response to the complaint, UKBA said that there is nothing wrong in the way my first application was dealt with. I knew this is what they would come back with, that too after 20 working days.

Next I escalated this to the ombudsman. The ombudsman sent it back to UKBA for reconsideration and this time they had no-option but to agree to my position and they refunded my application fee.

Now that they had admitted their mistakes and maladministration, last week I asked them to refund other incidental costs as well like the charges for flight cancellation ticket and the costs involved in hiring consultant for my second application. And yesterday I received a letter from them seeking the bills, based on which they will undertake the refund.

So friends the bottom line is that you think they are wrong, clamp down UKBA with the help of ombudsman.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:22 pm

Persistence pays ... but not many carry the trait! Good to hear.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

ScopeD
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by ScopeD » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:44 pm

I agree with sushdmehta and to you Tier 1 may I say Congratulations. They do get away with a whole multitude of sins so they need to be told off. Mine was a different case altogether.

Back in 2009 when i made my initial application, i submitted all evidence as requested and claimed 30 points for salary (just over 29k) on the basis of payslips from my employment as a WP holder plus the bank statements to corroborate the earnings as per their requirements. Surprise surprise the HO turned around and said they had only corroborated 26k which gave me 25 points on earnings, and that meant i had a shortfall as i had not reached the required 75. Caseworker never provided a calculation of how she had reached the 26k and I even tried all combinations of checks to see if she had ommitted some of the payslips, but her figure never made any mathematical sense. And I didn't have the right to appeal.

it was then that I sought the services of a solicitor, who sent them a Pre-Action Protocol letter in which he argued that I had earned the amount that I had claimed as supported by all payslips. The solicitor also argued that the caseworker, by not providing a calculation of how she had reached her figure, was in breach of the law as the law required her to explain clearly why she had arrived at that figure. This was a no brainer. They apologised for what they called an "administrative error" but I had a better name for it - an idiotic error. My only regret is that I never tried to recover the expenses I incurred as a result of this idiocy error and to this day, i am still angry with myself for not pursuing this matter. Anyway, extension early next year, I just hope I will not be given problems as I will have the points required.

tier-1

Post by tier-1 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:31 am

Send a letter to them, reminding them of thier own admission of administrative error.

You can always claim a refund, untill three years later. You can always come to know of your rights later. Send them a letter and see how it turns out. You will get it very easily mate. It will be a cake walk. All you need is patience for a month. Thier SLA is 20 working days. Thats it. If they still do not refund, SIMPLY esclate this to parliamentary ombudsman and sit back and enjoy.

ScopeD
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by ScopeD » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:12 pm

tier-1 wrote:Send a letter to them, reminding them of thier own admission of administrative error.

You can always claim a refund, untill three years later. You can always come to know of your rights later. Send them a letter and see how it turns out. You will get it very easily mate. It will be a cake walk. All you need is patience for a month. Thier SLA is 20 working days. Thats it. If they still do not refund, SIMPLY esclate this to parliamentary ombudsman and sit back and enjoy.
Phew! You have saved my life mate. To think that I nearly let them get away with that... I shall demand for compensation. Luckily I still have the receipts from the solicitor.

SameerSheikh
United Kingdom

Post by SameerSheikh » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:00 pm

After reading everyone's comments and posts here, i would like to share my experience and would like your opinion on it.
i applied for tier-1 general on 29th of MAY 2011 but got refused on earning points as the caseworker wasnt able to verify things from my chartered accountant.. the application was made in-country with a valid visa till june 2012. so i wasnt given a right to appeal. finally the only option was to file a pre-action protocol letter and then go for judicial review. and after filing the judicial review, the UKBA granted me the tier-1 Biometric resident Permit before i could have moved to court for hearing(s).

for all this preaction protocal and JD i was charged 2220 GBP from one of the known solicitors. Though it was the caseworkers mistake if he/she couldnt verify or couldnt carry out proper actions for my earning assessment. And i suffered from 2220 GBP even though i got the decision in my favor finally.

Can anyone please tell me if i can claim these damages i had to bear because of UKBA's wrong assessment or administrative error in first attempt before Preaction protocol letter and JR filing.????

ScopeD
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by ScopeD » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:47 am

SameerSheikh wrote: Can anyone please tell me if i can claim these damages i had to bear because of UKBA's wrong assessment or administrative error in first attempt before Preaction protocol letter and JR filing.????
I think this is the same situation as mine which tier-1 has kindly explained. If I get to doing it, will find out the details on lodging a claim against ukba and let you know as well. Mine wasn't that much really. Just a couple of hundreds fortunately. I spent 387 pounds only. Shame on ukba. Good luck.

tier-1

Post by tier-1 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:54 am

Just to set the expectation right:

Any expense which was NECESSARY to be incurred and resulted from the lapses of UKBA will be re-imbursed.

So you will have to prove that you had no option but to hire a solicitor. So in case if there was time to file a compliant to the home office, then that option would have to be exhausted first, rather than heading straight to a solicitor.

This is what I have to say from my experience so far.

ScopeD
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by ScopeD » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:55 am

tier-1 wrote:Any expense which was NECESSARY to be incurred and resulted from the lapses of UKBA will be re-imbursed.

So you will have to prove that you had no option but to hire a solicitor. So in case if there was time to file a compliant to the home office, then that option would have to be exhausted first, rather than heading straight to a solicitor.
Thanks for this tier-1. Well in my case I am going to argue that I had no choice but to hire a solicitor because the UKBA had clearly mentioned that I did not have a right of appeal. I will put it to them that there is no way I would have been able to challenge their decision by quoting the relevant sections of the law in the way my solicitor did as I did not possess the necessary legal knowledge, and so it was necessary for me to hire a solicitor. Thanks for your contribution.

tier-1

Post by tier-1 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:42 pm

ScopeD, After reading your case, I can say that you are eligible for refund of your application fee but not for solicitor fee because you did not first raise this to the UKBA, when it happened, through their complaint process and thus did not give the UKBA an opportunity to resolve the issue.

So just to set your expectations right, I believe you are eligible for the application fee and that I am sure of. Nevertheless, do try.

Hope I did not deflate your joys. Is the application fee is a small amount? No. So there is still a good reason to rejoice.

ScopeD
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by ScopeD » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:56 pm

tier-1 wrote:ScopeD, After reading your case, I can say that you are eligible for refund of your application fee but not for solicitor fee because you did not first raise this to the UKBA, when it happened, through their complaint process and thus did not give the UKBA an opportunity to resolve the issue.

So just to set your expectations right, I believe you are eligible for the application fee and that I am sure of. Nevertheless, do try.

Hope I did not deflate your joys. Is the application fee is a small amount? No. So there is still a good reason to rejoice.
I see your point tier-1. I think application fee was greater than what I paid solicitor. I paid 750 for the application. So that is even better. Well, I will give it a go and see what happens. But with the application fee would they refund, given that they eventually changed the original decision on that application to my favour? I guess I will need to dig this up from their website and see if they say something about this. All the same thanks tier-1.

sakhalinka
Newly Registered

Refund from UKBA

Post by sakhalinka » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm

Tier1 , this message is for you please. I have been to PEO today and they took the application from me, gave me a letter saying my application is valid but they need to do some additional checks. and all because i did not provide bank statements (for maintenance funds) for september, oct... When i pay with my debit card their enormous fee of £1300 , does not it naturally mean i have more than £800 on my account? why do they pretend they cant take this into consideration??? they said they would advise me to send bank statement for september and october to support maintenance funds criteria, but they dont guarantee caseworker will consider this... I hope i will not have to send anpther application by post...

sakhalinka
Newly Registered

to Tier1

Post by sakhalinka » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:22 pm

Tier1, did you apply in person through PEO first? did they give you rejection letter right away or did they give a letter saying it is still under consideration? thank you so much in advance

tier-1

Post by tier-1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Hello Sakhalinka,

I have not responded to your query becuase I did not need to come back to this forum. I hope you had good luck with your application and did not have to bear any unnecessary cost. If you had to, you can explain and I may be able to advise you how to seek refund.

Just to let everyone know, today I got another refund cheque of £300. This is on the top of £1300, that I have been refunded allready. This refund of £300 is the premium fee charges that I paid during my first application but the UKBA not delivering a proper service as such.

So friends, All I have to advise is if you think your refund is appropriate, do follow up. But do not get impatient. Thats is the trick of this game. Just follow the process and stick to your point, if you have one. I am awaiting couple more refunds. Will keep you posted.

rbk1597

another fresh case.

Post by rbk1597 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:01 pm

This is a very interesting thread, My friend is struggling with his case and I feel it may need to go throu the process that you outlined here.
The facts of his case are that

- his wife and daughter who had visited him twice before, applied for a workpermit dependant visas (he is on old style workpermit)
- they are not legally married, but lived together from 2006 until 2007 when he came over.
- they do not have any bill (there are no bills in his home country) and they cant find any letters with same address as his wife moved house when he came over.
- they were able to apply for family visit visas for the wife twice before.
- they are customarily married (not legally registered)
- they submitted wife's father's affidavit attesting to the customary marriage
- they have had 2 children, first one in 2007 and the youngest one in 2010, but the first one passed.
- the wife applied for the dependent visas in early-November 2011.
- she tracked the application online, but was not updated (still showing "under processing") until she sent an email to the embassy on 7th December enquiring.
- she was told that it was processed and sent back on the 29th of December.
- she went to collect on the 9th of Dec and was told the application had been return more than a week ago.
- the application was refused. It was considered on two grounds.
- they were not convinced that she was married to my friend as there was not enough proof.
- under unmarried partners, they were not convinced that they had lived together for at least 2 years before the application to be considered under "unmarried patners"
- all this despite having proved this in his wife's previous family visits
- although against my advice, my friend hastly put together an appeal with emails, money transfer receipts and photos and the wife submitted the appeal to the embassy on 14 December 2011.
- after advising him that they needed to send in travel documents for the wife's uk visits and his visits back to his home country, they sent an email to the embassy on the 19/12/11 requesting to send more documents via email.
- this email was not responded to.
- they also sent emails requesting an explanation why the application was not tracked initiall (which still shows as "under processing") and they didnt receive any response.
- they sent further two emails, which were not responded to.
- the wife snet another email on 12/01/12 asking whether the provided email was no longer in use, also requesting an explanation as outlined above, and also asking if the appeal had been upheld.
- no response was received.
- my friend called HMCTS (tribunal service here in UK) on 23/01/2012 with refusal reference to check if appeal was lodged with them, they said it was not.
- they sent emails to the embassy again, they said there is no direct phone call available.
- this time they received an email(on 24/01/12), purpoting to be replying to the email they sent on the 12th of January.
- note that that was more than 5 weeks after the appeal was sent (using FEDEX which they paid for)
- the response indicated that they received the appeal on the "20/012/2012" to quote exactly how they wrote the date.
- I told him that ukba may be playing games with them, since that seemed like a deliberately misleading date.
- the email response they got, mentioned that the embassy placed the appeal in a queue and will be reviewed when its turn arrives. If the review upheld the decision, then thats when they will froward the appeal to the tribunal service.
- on 31/01/12, they received an identical email to the one received on the 24th.
- note this was after six weeks after sending the appeal.
- they responded to the embassy email(on 31/01/12), asking 3 questings:
1. why they did not respond to questings about why the initial application was not tracked properly?
2. which date exactly they intended to indicate as the day they r eceived the appeal?
3. why they never responded to some other emails and why it has taken them this long given that from 19/12/11, appeals are now sent directly to hmcts.

- they havent received any responce as of now (18:30pm 03/02/12)
- my friend called HMCTS today (03/02/12 4pm) and they said they still havent received anything.
- they (tribunal service) advised them to send in a copy of the appeal directly to them next week
- my friend has been busy gathering remnants of supporting documents and filling the form anew and i couldnt help but sympathise with him. I refered him to this forumn, but seeing that he may not have time, I thought it would be best to post this on his behalf.
- i feel bad i had advised him initially that this was a strainght forward case since his wife visited before, and since requirements for a family visitor spouse are similar for either married or unmarried dependent visas.
- i have now advised him to complain to UKBACustomerComplaints@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk and also after seeing this thread, I am thinking they may deserve a REFUND of their application fees given that their application was not handled well from the start, and also that ukba has not met its service level agreement.
- however, apparently it seems there is no guideline or threshold upon which the embassy/consulate should forward an appeal to tribunal service, meaning they can sit on it indefinately.
- Changes to appeals brought in on the 19th December address that issue, but as this case was decided before, they probably thought it would be quicker to take the option to send it to the embassy concerned, who in most cases review the decisions quickly.
- I appreciate that this is a complicated case guys but whats your take on it.

david1955
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by david1955 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi i hope someone can shed some light on this... i recently applied for my wife depedent visa ,..her visa was refused my the ECO . We appealed the decision back and paid 80 pound to the tribunal. As we believe its a mistake from the ECO. If ECO officer overturns his decision , are we eligible for the 80 pound refund from the UKBA , as it was clearly a mistake from the ECO?

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:59 am

My Hunch is; this thread will turn into Pandora's Box for UKBA.
They think they can keep making mistakes and people will simply payup the price, seems no longer a case.

tier-1

Post by tier-1 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:36 pm

david1955 wrote:Hi i hope someone can shed some light on this... i recently applied for my wife depedent visa ,..her visa was refused my the ECO . We appealed the decision back and paid 80 pound to the tribunal. As we believe its a mistake from the ECO. If ECO officer overturns his decision , are we eligible for the 80 pound refund from the UKBA , as it was clearly a mistake from the ECO?
Hello Mate, as far as I know, the court fee will be refunded. Not sure by whom, either it is the court itself or the UKBA. I remember having read on internet. Just check it out for yourself on net. I am sure you will find answer to your question on Judicial review's official website itself or call-up Citizens Advice Beuro. They will tell you everything.

tier-1

Post by tier-1 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:46 pm

nnj10 wrote:My Hunch is; this thread will turn into Pandora's Box for UKBA.
They think they can keep making mistakes and people will simply payup the price, seems no longer a case.
Yes Friends, Its time we all get onto them. You have lots of ways to claim back your money if the UKBA made a mistake and made you to pay.

There is a process for it, which begins with filing a complain with UKBA. If you are not happy, ask the MP to escalate it to parliamentary ombudsman. Just to let you know more (www.ombudsman.org.uk/).

You case can be great if you had notified UKBA as soon as they gave thier wrong decision. You must have had sent a mail at least between their making a wrong decision and you having to say file a new application. Just pull out that email and make it the basis of claiming all your unwanted expenses.

But as I have said previously - Patience is one key to win the claims. Another is just don't set any expectations with regards to time. Be prepared for six months. You have nothing to loose in trying this. I have already got £1600 until now and am chasing them for more. I make sure that I do not get impatient about it. Otherwise the money I get back loses its worth. Is it?

tier-1

Re: another fresh case.

Post by tier-1 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:07 pm

Hello nnj10, File a complain and tell them that you deserve a refund. If they dont give you refund, ask your MP to refer the case to parliamentary ombudsman.

Also friends, Just spread this to the people you know are applying and have been treated badly by UKBA. You can complain untill three years later. Just start it and fight back a little. Its now your turn to give them a tough time.

ZAS
Newly Registered

Post by ZAS » Tue May 22, 2012 11:32 am

Hi All,

I just want to know if anyone has had an experience with UKBA loosing your passport and all supporting document. What level of compensation do they offer.

I will like to know the opinion of the house on breach of data protection act with regard to UKBA loosing document contating Bank Accounts, NI,DOB,Passports, Dependants, data, Biometric data etc.

Kind Regards

ZAS

Babajee85
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: another fresh case.

Post by Babajee85 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:54 pm

tier-1 wrote:Hello nnj10, File a complain and tell them that you deserve a refund. If they dont give you refund, ask your MP to refer the case to parliamentary ombudsman.

Also friends, Just spread this to the people you know are applying and have been treated badly by UKBA. You can complain untill three years later. Just start it and fight back a little. Its now your turn to give them a tough time.
Hi Dear ,

I read through your posts on this forum about the refund from UKBA.I am very pissed as well from UKBA.The case is.I booked PEO (Croydon) on 13th Dec 2012.It was on on 9:15.I submitted all the docs and all went smooth.Case worker called me after couple of hours and told me that she is waioting for bio metric to recive and your all docs are fine.By the 3 pm she told me our system is down and we will let you know by tomorrow via phone.So next day she called me on the phone and told about the ILR approval.

Basically it should be the same day serivce and thats what i paid for.She then tole me the docs will be sent by 2nd class.I told her i need docs urgently but she insisted we always send via 2nd class.

Now my wife visa will get expire on 24th and i am still waiting for docs from last three days.

Can i get some refund from UKBA based on my siutatuioon ?

what if i did not get my docs (approval letter and BRP) by 24 Dec 2012.

I need approval letter to send with my wife PBS dependant visa application.

PLease advise.

Thanks

tier-1

Post by tier-1 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:06 am

Hey Babajee85,

Yes I believe your case definitely deserves a refund. Initiate the official complaint process of UKBA as that is the first step. Mention the inconvenience caused to you due to the delay. Mention that your purpose of premium processing has been defeated and you want the fee back. They will most likely come back after one/two months denying the refund and saying that they use second class mail for all official communication.

Then take the matter to ombudsman (PHSO). Tell them that the UKBA cant charge such a heavy amount of £300 and keep a poor system and that you deserve the premium fee back. Tell them that you are not responsible for time consumed in postal delivery and that you had chosen premium service to get away from these kind of hassles and risks. It is the responsibility of UKBA to have the docs sent out by first class if their system had failed. They should have sent the docs through first class or made arrangement for collection by the person himself, as ethical responsibility, let alone official responsibility. Firstly they do not have a robust system and secondly they want to adhere to second class mail even for such case as yours. They cant have both the benefits for themselves.

Also remember that it will take patience on your side to get your money back. That's the trick of the game.

Babajee85
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Babajee85 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:54 am

tier-1 wrote:Hey Babajee85,

Yes I believe your case definitely deserves a refund. Initiate the official complaint process of UKBA as that is the first step. Mention the inconvenience caused to you due to the delay. Mention that your purpose of premium processing has been defeated and you want the fee back. They will most likely come back after one/two months denying the refund and saying that they use second class mail for all official communication.

Then take the matter to ombudsman (PHSO). Tell them that the UKBA cant charge such a heavy amount of £300 and keep a poor system and that you deserve the premium fee back. Tell them that you are not responsible for time consumed in postal delivery and that you had chosen premium service to get away from these kind of hassles and risks. It is the responsibility of UKBA to have the docs sent out by first class if their system had failed. They should have sent the docs through first class or made arrangement for collection by the person himself, as ethical responsibility, let alone official responsibility. Firstly they do not have a robust system and secondly they want to adhere to second class mail even for such case as yours. They cant have both the benefits for themselves.

Also remember that it will take patience on your side to get your money back. That's the trick of the game.

Thanks Tier-1 for such detailed answer.

Actully i got my docs via post but still waiting for the BRP Card.Actully My spouse visa was due to expire on 24 Dec 2012.So i have not received yet.But i posted the PBS Dependent application on Friday 21st-12-2012.I just put in the covering letter that i can post the copy of BRP because i have not recieved yet.But MY point is If i paied for premiuim then why i was not informed on that day.Bascially they called me next day of my appointment and told application is approved.and gave me option to either collect or they will post it.But i told them i can not take another day off to come and pick up the docs again.so they posted me and i got my passport and ILR approval letter on 18th Dec 2012.and then posted on 20th my application for spouse.But if they say Premium on the same day service.then it should be the same day.

what you say,,stil you think i can argue with them on this point.Please can you also send me the covering letter or emails you sent them so i can use them as template.You can omit our personal info.

Thanks

bishop123
Newly Registered

Address to send claim to?

Post by bishop123 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:06 am

Hi Guys,

I have been advised by one of the UKBA staff to claim the cost of my unused flight tickets back due to temporary misplacement of my docs. She asked me to check the procedure on their website. Could anyone tell me where to send my claim to please?

Many thanks