ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 General - Can I work additionaly?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mhraja
Pakistan

Tier 2 General - Can I work additionaly?

Post by mhraja » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi

I am on Tier 2 General - Soponsorship Visa. I am working for the employee who sponsored me.

Does my visa give me permission to do extra work, like working on weekends or doing my own business under different company?

Thanks,
Muhammad

AliZ

Post by AliZ » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:00 pm

SUPPLEMENTARY EMPLOYMENT

570. Tier 2 and Tier 5 migrants are allowed to undertake other work which is supplementary to that for which their CoS was assigned. The only exception to this for private servants sponsored under Tier 5 (International Agreement) who are not allowed to take supplementary employment.
571. This supplementary employment does not have to meet the resident labour market test requirements and the employer does not have to be a licensed sponsor. Supplementary employment must:
a) be in the same profession and at the same professional level as the work for which the CoS was assigned; or
b) be a job which is on the list of shortage occupations published on our website at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... tnov11.pdf (if the occupation concerned is removed from the list of shortage occupations, the migrant must cease that employment); and
c) be no more than 20 hours a week; and
d) be outside of normal working hours for which the CoS was assigned.
572. Migrants do not need to advise us of any supplementary employment they undertake, as long as it meets the above stated criteria.
573. A migrant should advise their new employer that the employment is supplementary employment so that they can make the necessary checks in accordance with the recommendations we make in our guidance for employers on illegal working. That guidance is available on our website at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... galworking

SECONDARY EMPLOYMENT

574. Once a Tier 2 migrant has used their CoS to gain leave to enter, or remain in the UK, and has started work for you, they are allowed to take other employment which does not meet the supplementary employment criteria.
575. Any secondary employment must be with a licensed sponsor and the migrant must be able to meet the criteria relevant to the category in which their secondary employment falls. The secondary employer must have recruited them in accordance with this guidance and any relevant code of practice. The secondary employer must then assign a new CoS to the migrant so that they can submit a fresh application to vary their existing leave. (Please note that a second CoS cannot be assigned until the migrant has used their first one.)

fun_rajesh
Newly Registered

Post by fun_rajesh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:44 pm

Hello,
My code is not on Shortage occupation list, but on Standard occupation list.
They are mentioned in
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

I will be sponsored for code 2132. Can I take supplementary work for a profession 2131 ? Both professions have similarities and differences.

Thanks

Jeeves

Post by Jeeves » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:09 pm

Different SOC code suggests it a different job and therefore not allowed but ultimately it's your decision.

The Immigration Rules state:

Under Part 6A of these Rules, "supplementary employment" means other employment in a job which appears on the Shortage Occupation List in Appendix K, or in the same profession and at the same professional level as that which the migrant is being sponsored to do provided that:

(a) the migrant remains working for the Sponsor in the employment that the Certificate of Sponsorship Checking Service records that the migrant is being sponsored to do,

(b) the other employment does not exceed 20 hours per week and takes place outside of the hours when the migrant is contracted to work for the Sponsor in the employment the migrant is being sponsored to do.

If you think you meet the above - go ahead, but if UKBA disagree then you're going to have a big problem.

fun_rajesh
Newly Registered

Post by fun_rajesh » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:25 pm

Is it okay if I work for a different job code than the sponsored one and request the client/employer to provide the professional fee to a charitable trust, that I specify?

The money does not reach my hands and goes to charity. My objective of doing a different job code is to enhance my career progress and not monetary gain. At the same time, I don't want to risk UKBA rules.

Would that be fine?