ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in UK test

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

T1_Mainframe

Life in UK test

Post by T1_Mainframe » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi,

I have started thinking about appearing for Life in UK test. Sometime ago, It was in the news that soon this test will be revised.

Can someone please let me know if they have already implemented the new test or old test is in efffect?

Thanks!

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:41 pm

No change as of today. Always check LIUK section on UKBA website for changes first.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

stokbrig

Post by stokbrig » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:14 pm

[quote="wpilr_nov12"]No change as of today. Always check LIUK section on UKBA website for changes first.[/qu

Hi,
Could you please advise on the validity of the test and do I need to resit the test again after the changes?
Thanks in advance

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:32 pm

stokbrig wrote:Could you please advise on the validity of the test and do I need to resit the test again after the changes?
The test result has no expiry date, therefore is valid indefinitely.

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:07 am

It is becoming obvious that you haven't been reading info at UKBA website. You would save yourself a lot of grief if you followed my earlier advice as well.

stokbrig

Post by stokbrig » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:25 am

[quote="wpilr_nov12"]It is becoming obvious that you haven't been reading info at UKBA website. You would save yourself a lot of grief if you followed my earlier advice as well.[/qu

Can I take the test 4 months or more before applying for ILR or there is time limit? thanks

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:29 am

sh1981
Member of Standing

Re: Life in UK test

Post by sh1981 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:43 am

T1_Mainframe wrote:Hi,

I have started thinking about appearing for Life in UK test. Sometime ago, It was in the news that soon this test will be revised.

Can someone please let me know if they have already implemented the new test or old test is in efffect?

Thanks!
i am not certain about this but i remember reading somewhere that even after the new test comes in, you will still have 3 months after that to be able to take old test along with new test. sort of like a shift over period.
---
ILR Submit: 05/12/2012
Spouse Visa Exp: 09/12/2012
Ack Rec'd: 12/12/2012
Bio Rec'd: 10/01/2013
Bio Done: 10/01/2013
ILR Approval letter: 05/03/2013
Bio RP Rec'd: 06/03/2013
Current Stat: Settled
My Blog: uk-spouse-visa.blogspot.com

stokbrig

Post by stokbrig » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:46 am

sh1981 wrote:

Thanks!
i am not certain about this but i remember reading somewhere that even after the new test comes in, you will still have 3 months after that to be able to take old test along with new test. sort of like a shift over period.
Hi there, Do you mean that the test will be vaild for 3 months if the new test comes in, please advise

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:35 am

The current LIUK test is one of the easiest things you can do to prepare for your ILR application. A lot of people have passed this with 2 weeks of preparation. So, instead of worrying about validity (which is indefinite) of the test, or how soon you can take it (whenever you want, whether you need it or not), you should go ahead with what is available now.

What the new test will look like (if that ever happens) is just a guessing game at this time.

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Post by Damanisshallo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:20 pm

I agree with wpilr_Nov12, My personal suggestion would be to get it done ASAP. You can practice here and can find some study material from here
Statutory Warning:Members are advised to make thorough inquiries before acting upon any description displayed on my behalf.
Skydrives, Templates

sh1981
Member of Standing

Post by sh1981 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:34 pm

stokbrig wrote:
sh1981 wrote:

Thanks!
Hi there, Do you mean that the test will be vaild for 3 months if the new test comes in, please advise
Yes, 3 months phase out period.

http://lifeintheuk.net/index.php/news/o ... phased_out
---

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:02 pm

sh1981
sh1981, this link refers to the changes that took place in 2007

sh1981
Member of Standing

Post by sh1981 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:37 pm

CR001 wrote:
sh1981
sh1981, this link refers to the changes that took place in 2007
it doesnt matter its the same now i remember thats what lady from liuk told me on phone because i was concerned on same thing.
---

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:22 pm

stokbrig wrote:
sh1981 wrote:

Thanks!
No. That's incorrect. If you take the test it will be valid indefinitely based on the current official statement: http://lifeintheuktest.ukba.homeoffice. ... er_10.html

If I pass the test, what happens next?
If you pass the test, your test supervisor will give you a pass notification letter. You will be required to sign the pass notification letter before you leave the test centre. This letter contains details of your test date, supervisor, centre location and a unique ID number. This pass notification letter does not have an expiry date and you should therefore look after this carefully.

No information on the format or launch date of the new test has yet been officially published, therefore anything else will be speculation. I agree with the two responses which advice you to prepare for the current test & take it as soon as you can. Just a bit of background, initially the new format of the test was understood to be launched in the Autumn 2012, this date has now long passed (It appears that there are higher priorities than changing this test at the moment). I took the test in September for an ILR application I plan to submit in 2013. Anyone subsequently applying for naturalization would use the same test result as evidence, so unless there is a drastic change, I do not see that you will need to take the test again if a new format is introduced before your ILR application.

sh1981
Member of Standing

Post by sh1981 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:41 pm

cs95tdg wrote:
stokbrig wrote:
sh1981 wrote:

Thanks!
No. That's incorrect. If you take the test it will be valid indefinitely based on the current official statement: http://lifeintheuktest.ukba.homeoffice. ... er_10.html

If I pass the test, what happens next?
If you pass the test, your test supervisor will give you a pass notification letter. You will be required to sign the pass notification letter before you leave the test centre. This letter contains details of your test date, supervisor, centre location and a unique ID number. This pass notification letter does not have an expiry date and you should therefore look after this carefully.

No information on the format or launch date of the new test has yet been officially published, therefore anything else will be speculation. I agree with the two responses which advice you to prepare for the current test & take it as soon as you can. Just a bit of background, initially the new format of the test was understood to be launched in the Autumn 2012, this date has now long passed (It appears that there are higher priorities than changing this test at the moment). I took the test in September for an ILR application I plan to submit in 2013. Anyone subsequently applying for naturalization would use the same test result as evidence, so unless there is a drastic change, I do not see that you will need to take the test again if a new format is introduced before your ILR application.
no he was asking about old test and its validity when new test comes. he can give old test ev en if new test is there, during 3 months changeover period. the validity of the test if i remember correctly is indefinite as you very rightly said.
---

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Wow! A lot of confusion here

Once you pass the test, you don't have to do it again ever, it does not expire. Once you pass you pass! Any new version of the test have no effect whatsoever on you.
Only people allowed to sit in the old test after new test is out, are the people who have already booked the test before the new test was out. And if they fail the test then they will have to take the new test.
All other people, people who haven't booked the test before the new test was out, will have to sit in the new version

Hope it clears everything.
Goodluck.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:52 pm

[iD] wrote:Only people allowed to sit in the old test after new test is out, are the people who have already booked the test before the new test was out.
This part is not precisely accurate, based on the stance taken by the Home Office when the test changed in 2007. They had a 4 month period (grace) where both old and new tests were available to be taken by applicants.

I agree however that once the test is taken, the test result is valid indefinitely as it has no expiry date.

sh1981
Member of Standing

Post by sh1981 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:53 pm

[iD] wrote:Wow! A lot of confusion here

Once you pass the test, you don't have to do it again ever, it does not expire. Once you pass you pass! Any new version of the test have no effect whatsoever on you.
Only people allowed to sit in the old test after new test is out, are the people who have already booked the test before the new test was out. And if they fail the test then they will have to take the new test.
All other people, people who haven't booked the test before the new test was out, will have to sit in the new version

I dont agree with that. I was told one can appear for old test (register for it) during 3 months roll-out period after new test appears.

Read this: http://lifeintheuk.net/index.php/news/w ... ship_test/

I was told on the phone same thing about 3 pmonths roll out period.

This means you can book for old test upto 3 months even after new test is rolled out.

Anyway my advice ot anyone taking it is not to take it lightly and think you can ace it after studying for 2 weeks cause honestly its pretty hard. The actual questions were easy, but it took me like 4 months to get every question right in the sample test books as i was aiming for 100%.
---

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:06 pm

sh1981 wrote:
[iD] wrote:Wow! A lot of confusion here

I dont agree with that. I was told one can appear for old test (register for it) during 3 months roll-out period after new test appears.

Read this: http://lifeintheuk.net/index.php/news/w ... ship_test/

I was told on the phone same thing about 3 pmonths roll out period.

This means you can book for old test upto 3 months even after new test is rolled out.

Anyway my advice ot anyone taking it is not to take it lightly and think you can ace it after studying for 2 weeks cause honestly its pretty hard. The actual questions were easy, but it took me like 4 months to get every question right in the sample test books as i was aiming for 100%.

This could be in addition to what I was saying. Because I can remember that people who had already booked the test were definitely allowed to take old version. Then again, you can't book the test more than a few week in advance anyway.
Goodluck.

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:15 pm

www_dot_lifeintheuk_dot_net is not the authority on LIUK matters. Home Office is.

stokbrig

Post by stokbrig » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:28 am

Damanisshallo wrote:I agree with wpilr_Nov12, My personal suggestion would be to get it done ASAP. You can practice here and can find some study material from here
MANY THANKS

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:48 am

I passed the Old Test last month.Only studied for 2 weeks, No problems. All the information I got was from the UKBA-Life In the UK Test web site. You can clear all your doubts by reading carefully waht is on this web site. The exam supervisor told me that they have not received, any information regarding the New Test.Sooner you sit for the test is better than worrying about what will happen in the future???

sh1981
Member of Standing

Post by sh1981 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:57 am

Kevin24 wrote:I passed the Old Test last month.Only studied for 2 weeks, No problems. All the information I got was from the UKBA-Life In the UK Test web site. You can clear all your doubts by reading carefully waht is on this web site. The exam supervisor told me that they have not received, any information regarding the New Test.Sooner you sit for the test is better than worrying about what will happen in the future???
And be on time, I lost my first test fee just cause I was 5 mins late. Mainly because I spent half an hour trying to find the damn test centre.
---

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:26 pm

That's true. You have to be on time. Supervisors are very strict on this issue.Before I booked for the Test, went looking for the nearest Test Centre. Which was excellent.