ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Got ILR and what benefits entitled for ?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Babajee85
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Got ILR and what benefits entitled for ?

Post by Babajee85 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Hi folks,

My daughter(under 18 ) and myself have got ILR recently.My Wife is still Tier 1(General) Dependent.

so please can you advise which benefits i can claim as having ILR?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:18 pm

You are entitled to whatever benefits you qualify for. This link will explain :

https://www.gov.uk/browse/benefits
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

z18runway

Post by z18runway » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:41 pm

CR001 wrote:You are entitled to whatever benefits you qualify for. This link will explain :

https://www.gov.uk/browse/benefits
but doesn't this affect his dependent ILR ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:47 pm

Sorry forgot about that point. You can claim child bebefit in your name if the child is still in full time education, tax credits if claimed jointly with you s the main applicant, but for example, housing benefit might be different.
What benefits were you thinking you could possibly claim?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Babajee85
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Babajee85 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:24 am

CR001 wrote:Sorry forgot about that point. You can claim child bebefit in your name if the child is still in full time education, tax credits if claimed jointly with you s the main applicant, but for example, housing benefit might be different.
What benefits were you thinking you could possibly claim?
Actually i hv no idea what i m entitled for. Just for your info
I am doing full time job and my pay is 35k. My daughter is 2 years old. So not in full time education.my wife is housewife. So if you please could advise me as per my circumstances if i m entitled for any benefits ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:26 am

Because you are on a high salary, you will only be able to claim child benefits.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Babajee85
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Babajee85 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:18 pm

CR001 wrote:Because you are on a high salary, you will only be able to claim child benefits.
What other benefits I can claim then ? any idea

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:24 pm

I don't think you will qualify for any other benefits because of your high salary. The maximum threshold for benefits such as tax credits or income support etc is around £26k but this does not include child benefits which is what you can claim. Did you look at the link I provided on benefits?? In the link is a benefits calculator, which will tell you what you can claim.

I don't think you will get help with housing benefit or local housing allowance because of your high salary.

For example, I am a single parent with a child in school and i earn about what you do and I cannot claim anything except than child benefits, even as a single mum and I am not a British Citizen.

Do the benefit calculator and see what the results are.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Babajee85
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Babajee85 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:59 pm

CR001 wrote:I don't think you will qualify for any other benefits because of your high salary. The maximum threshold for benefits such as tax credits or income support etc is around £26k but this does not include child benefits which is what you can claim. Did you look at the link I provided on benefits?? In the link is a benefits calculator, which will tell you what you can claim.

I don't think you will get help with housing benefit or local housing allowance because of your high salary.

For example, I am a single parent with a child in school and i earn about what you do and I cannot claim anything except than child benefits, even as a single mum and I am not a British Citizen.

Thanks for your swift reply.Yes i tried that calculator.But I am confused by the terms means like you have to pay full 100 cent tax.

How this Child benefits work.Will i get some voucher ?

what to do with My salary Tax ?

Will it have any affect on my BC in future ?

Please advise ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:13 pm

Child benefit will have no effect on your future BC application. But please remember that YOU must apply because you have ILR and it must be paid to you. Your wife must not apply because she is not entitled to benefits.

Child benefit is paid directly into your bank account and you can choose to have it paid weekly or monthly. Have a look at the HMRC link, which is where you have to apply for child benefit :

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/index.htm

Child benefit does not affect your tax, I have not had a problem. It is really easy to apply, so don't worry.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:23 am

it may be worth applying for tax credits too even if on 35k. it again like CB wont be considered public funds, even if your only given a tenner a week, its better than nothing...

it is based on your earnings from the previous tax year. (so earnings for 2011 - 2012 is used for payments 2012-2013 etc.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:42 pm

CR001 wrote:I don't think you will qualify for any other benefits because of your high salary. The maximum threshold for benefits such as tax credits or income support etc is around £26k but this does not include child benefits which is what you can claim. Did you look at the link I provided on benefits?? In the link is a benefits calculator, which will tell you what you can claim.

For example, I am a single parent with a child in school and i earn about what you do and I cannot claim anything except than child benefits, even as a single mum and I am a British Citizen.

You won't get child tax credits on a salary of £35K. The OP should use the link to do the benefits calculator and he will see. He will be ok to claim child benefits though.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:18 pm

it takes ten minutes to complete a tax credits form, he has nothing to loose, so might be worth it... 35k salary, but does he have expenses for that (mobile etc) which he pays for for his job... EVERYBODIES circumstances are different. just because one person cannot claim, doesnt mean somebody who seems to be simular cannot claim.

for example: JOINT INCOME. one person on 26k, but was the OH in reciept of income too?

I agree, use the benefits calculator etc. but no harm in trying...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:23 pm

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcreditsbudget/index.htm

The income limit changed with effect from last year April.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:26 pm

Before April 2012, you could usually get some Child Tax Credit, as long as your income was not over the limit of £41,300. From 6 April 2012 this limit is lower for most people.

The income limit for you now depends on your own individual circumstances. But as a very rough guide, you might not get Child Tax Credit from 6 April 2012 if:
• you have one child, and your annual income is more than around £26,000
• you have two children, and your annual income is more than around £32,200

But it's important to know that:
• this is a rough guide
• the income limit for you may be different, as it depends on your own circumstances

You could still qualify if your income is above these amounts. For example, if you pay for registered or approved childcare, have more than one or two children, are disabled, or your child has a disability.
Whilst it seems clear cut... it doesnt mean it is clear cut...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:29 pm

I have tried to claim too and I am British and a single parent and I was told I do not qualify for tax credits on my salary which is similar to the OP. I can only claim Child Benefits.

So I am speaking from experience of my own and some of my friends too.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Khall75

Housing benefit, tax credit etc.

Post by Khall75 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:09 pm

I got my ILR this month I want to apply for housing benifit, child tax credit and child benefit.
If I do this is it going to have any affect on my wife ILR which is going to be done in July this year. Advice plz

Babajee85
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Housing benefit, tax credit etc.

Post by Babajee85 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:31 pm

Khall75 wrote:I got my ILR this month I want to apply for housing benifit, child tax credit and child benefit.
If I do this is it going to have any affect on my wife ILR which is going to be done in July this year. Advice plz
Hi Everyone,

I have been blessed with baby boy on March 2013.I have already got the ILR on December 2012.My wife is on Tier-1 Dependent with three years visa.

Please tell me what form should i use for my newborn baby British passport.

Will he be British citizen by birth.

Please let me know about the steps towards his passport.

Thanks

evershineforu
Newly Registered

Post by evershineforu » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:34 pm

Yes. Child born in UK can apply for British passport as you have ILR.

Babajee85
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Babajee85 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:44 pm

Hi folks,

I am already receiving child benefits for my one child.

Now i have got new born baby as well.He was born in UK on 2nd march 2013.

What documents should i sent to claim for him.

Will it be a new application form with new reference ?

please guide

Thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:47 pm

Babajee85 wrote:Hi folks,

I am already receiving child benefits for my one child.

Now i have got new born baby as well.He was born in UK on 2nd march 2013.

What documents should i sent to claim for him.

Will it be a new application form with new reference ?

please guide

Thanks
See http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/ch2-online-stubb.htm
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

evershineforu
Newly Registered

Post by evershineforu » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:45 pm

You should fill the same application as your first child's, but you provide previous child claim details in the middle of your application and send along with Birth document of your new born.

Please contact child benefits on 01612103086 for more details.

Hope it helps.

elcanja
Newly Registered

Tax Credits/Child Benefit affet FLR(M)?

Post by elcanja » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:44 am

Hi everyone...

Just double checking one thing....

From my understanding, claiming tax credits and child benefit will not have a bad effect when making my partner's FLR(M)/SET(M) application right?
If anything, it will be a good thing as I'll have extra income for the maintenance requirement in the case of FLR(M), as per paragraph 5.2 (a) of Annex F (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary), right?

I have just been granted ILR (LR) a couple weeks ago. I was previously on a student visa so could only work part time, my wife used to work full time but we now have a 10 month old baby, so she's been working only on a part-time basis for 4 months now and before that was on a 8 to 9 months maternity leave obviously.

Thanks a lot!

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Tax Credits/Child Benefit affet FLR(M)?

Post by Amber » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:52 am

elcanja wrote:Hi everyone...

From my understanding, claiming tax credits and child benefit will not have a bad effect when making my partner's FLR(M)/SET(M) application right?
If anything, it will be a good thing as I'll have extra income for the maintenance requirement in the case of FLR(M), as per paragraph 5.2 (a) of Annex F (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary), right?

I have just been granted ILR (LR) a couple weeks ago. I was previously on a student visa so could only work part time, my wife used to work full time but we now have a 10 month old baby, so she's been working only on a part-time basis for 4 months now and before that was on a 8 to 9 months maternity leave obviously.

Thanks a lot!
Now that you are settled you can claim benefits including child benefit and tax credits as you are no longer subject to immigration control.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

elcanja
Newly Registered

Re: Tax Credits/Child Benefit affet FLR(M)?

Post by elcanja » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:14 am

D4109125 wrote:
elcanja wrote:Hi everyone...

Thanks a lot!
Now that you are settled you can claim benefits including child benefit and tax credits as you are no longer subject to immigration control.
Hi D4109125.

Thanks a lot but the question is mainly regarding whether claiming them will have a bad effect on my wife's visa application?

Cheers