ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Recently got British citizenship, how to bring parents here.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kmvijay
Newly Registered

Recently got British citizenship, how to bring parents here.

Post by kmvijay » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:02 am

I recently got British citizenship, I would like to bring my parents from India to here permanently. Please someone give me the right procedure.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:26 am

You becoming British does not, by itself, assist in the process of getting your parents to the UK.

But tell us more. How old are they? Their financial circumstances? Are they financially self-supporting? Or alternatively reliant on you for financial support? Do you have any siblings still in India?
John

kmvijay
Newly Registered

Post by kmvijay » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:02 pm

John wrote:You becoming British does not, by itself, assist in the process of getting your parents to the UK.

But tell us more. How old are they? Their financial circumstances? Are they financially self-supporting? Or alternatively reliant on you for financial support? Do you have any siblings still in India?
My parents already visited UK for three times with Visitor's visa and they returned back to India. Because visitor visa they can stay only for six months time.

My Father is 77 and my Mum is 68.

I am sending some money every three or four months to them for their living in India and he has some money to take care of himself also. But he don't have any state pension.

I have one elder sister, but they can't come and look after everyday to day life in India.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:10 pm

Hi, have a read of this UKBA document, in particular 2.

I wish you well, but I think you are going to struggle to get the visas you seek.
John

kmvijay
Newly Registered

Post by kmvijay » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:36 pm

John wrote:Hi, have a read of this UKBA document, in particular 2.

I wish you well, but I think you are going to struggle to get the visas you seek.
Ok. I have read that document.
So I have to apply for Dependent Visa in India for my parents with all the details that I can take care of them and no one is there in India to support them. And they may give dependant visa or chances of rejecting the visa also. Is this correct?.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm

kmvijay wrote:
John wrote:Hi, have a read of this UKBA document, in particular 2.

Ok. I have read that document.
So I have to apply for Dependent Visa in India for my parents with all the details that I can take care of them and no one is there in India to support them. And they may give dependant visa or chances of rejecting the visa also. Is this correct?.
Remember if they are rejected and as others have said this is a very difficult visa to get, they might not get another visit visa, the ECO's thinking that they'll just overstay cos of the previous intention to settle.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

xprsg
Newly Registered

Post by xprsg » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:16 pm

So, did you manage to get the VISAs in the end?

needAdvise
Newly Registered

Post by needAdvise » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:22 pm

xprsg wrote:So, did you manage to get the VISAs in the end?
Hi, can u pls. update, did ur parents get the visa? What all documents you attached with ur application?

Darya
Newly Registered

Post by Darya » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:06 pm

Please let us know if you managed to get the visa for your parents. I am in similar situation.

ssharma
Newly Registered

elderly dependant family members

Post by ssharma » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:35 pm

Got the visa rejected on this application for my mom and dad too. My dad is 62 and mom is 58. We showed that every month we are sending 300 pounds to them for their expenses since last 2 years but this doesnt matter as they can completely walk on their own and doesnt need major medical assistance and also doesnt have long term illness or disability. On the other side they also want to see where your parents have spend those 300 pounds on?

Also, applied for visitor visa after this but that was turned down as well.

I will suggest everyone if you are looking for to bring your elderly dependant family member to UK, please make sure your application is genuine and your parents genuinely have long term illness or disability and require a level of long-term personal care. Mostly all kinds of personal care is now available in a country like India so doesnt matter if you are the only son or daughter, you will be able to provide all kinds of care to your parents in India. If you try to fake you application, you may be facing a jail term as UKBA investigates this kinds of application in detail in every country. They have their authorized agents in all countries, who goes to your home and inquire every possible things.

Good luck and be honest
Last edited by ssharma on Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssharma
Newly Registered

Immigration for family members

Post by ssharma » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:45 pm

Oh yes i was also told that try to make your application after the age of your elderly defendant cross 65 mark but also have illness or disability, require a level of long-term personal care. There is little more possibility of getting visas.

Read the below link, rules which came under effect from 9th July'12

http://www.birketts.co.uk/publications/ ... July-2012/

There is a section in the above link which says "The availability of visas for elderly dependant family members will be heavily restricted – in practical terms, very few people will now qualify for such visas"

The term "very few people" means illness or disability, require a level of long-term personal care. In short if your parents are completely on bed rest you are allowed to bring them to UK to take care of them, but make sure you dont have any brothers or sisters back in India or else your Visa will be rejected. Also, all the medical(NHS), accommodation, travel and other expenses will be on you to provide as you will be signing a 5 year bond with UKBA.

If you are planning to bring your in-law parents, i will say, just forget about this as there is no chance at all. Better bring them on Vistor visa.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Re: Immigration for family members

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:49 pm

ssharma wrote: In short if your parents are completely on bed rest you are allowed to bring them to UK to take care of them,
Not automatically! If you can afford to pay for a local nurse or home help (and that costs peanuts in some parts of the world) you will be obliged to do so rather than move them to the UK.

The care you need is not available in the country where you are living, either because it is not available and there is no person in the country where you are living who can reasonably provide it or it is not affordable.

ssharma
Newly Registered

Post by ssharma » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:52 pm

very true Lucapooka...in countries like India all kinds of facility is available and you can definitely appoint a nurse 24/7 to look after them. Very cheap in India and thats what i will do

ssharma
Newly Registered

Immigration for family members

Post by ssharma » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:42 pm

I have come across more than 100 online and personally seen more than 30 cases where elderly family members dependent visa is rejected. I have spoken to more than 4 solicitors in Central london and they all said the same thing. NO, cant get visa.

I honestly urge people, if you are not sure, think 100 times before applying this visa as if you get rejected it will be hard for you to get visit visa to UK too. Everyone thinks its an easy job but its not easy at all. If you are British citizen it doesnt mean that your parents, brothers, sisters and in-laws are also eligible to come and stay in UK until and unless they are completely on bed rest and needs "special" care and attention.

People who have recently came to UK have this hope of bringing their parents in UK once they have got British Citizenship. But plz guys dont keep that hope, seek for alternative ways of keeping your parents in India unless its not emergency situation.

Take care and good luck

sud315

Re: Recently got British citizenship, how to bring parents h

Post by sud315 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:54 pm

Could someone who has tried this visa recently give an update on the topic please?
Is this still as hard as it was? :(

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:05 pm

sud315 wrote:Could someone who has tried this visa recently give an update on the topic please?
Is this still as hard as it was? :(
It is even harder, impossible compared to this thread which is from 2012.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:18 pm

As CR001 has advised, the door has been virtually closed to the ADR settlement route. You may find the information in these links helpful:

https://www.jcwi.org.uk/policy/adult-de ... -relatives

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/out-with-the-old/
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:21 am

More up to date information and cases in this thread.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.