ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR and British passport

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sam_84

ILR and British passport

Post by Sam_84 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:48 am

Hi

I am originally from India and have been living in the UK for last 6 years - 1 year as a student and 5 years as working.
I am now applying for an ‘Indefinite leave to remain’ in January. I understand that we can apply for British passport soon after 1 year of ILR application?

My queries basically are –

- What if I take the ILR and move back to India for a year or so? Can I still come back and take the passport by living in the UK for another one year or will I have to again go through the cycle of 5 years to get the passport?
- Does the ILR expire if I live two year abroad? What options do I have then to return to the UK?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:02 pm

The requirements for BC Naturalisation (which you have to do before you can apply for a passport) is :

5 years residence or 3 years residence if married to a BC.

Absences allowed

5 years - max 450 days
3 years - max 270 days

Both have a requirement of not more than 90 days absence in the last 12 months before applying for naturalisation.

Yes - ILR expires after living abroad for 2.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.