ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

when can baby be eligible for uk citizenship & benefits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

projectile
Newly Registered

when can baby be eligible for uk citizenship & benefits

Post by projectile » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:51 pm

Hello,
I came to UK in july 2010 on Tier 1 General Migrant, my wife joined me in Nov 2011 as my dependent.
We got an extension in July 2012 to July 2015.
Now we are expecting a baby in April 2013 and we want to have the baby in India.
I will get be eligible for PR in july 2015 and for citizenship in 2016.

1) When will my wife and the baby be able to get PR or Citizenship?
2) From when I can claim any child benefit? (I am the only person working, earning £60K + pa).
3) I have heard that schooling is free for kids but nursery for babies born outside of uk is not. And babies born in UK get 70% of their fees paid by govt. Is it true and am I eligible for it?

regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:53 pm

You cannot claim any benefits until you have successfully applied for ILR. Once you have ILR, the likelihood is that you might only be able to claim child benefit. On a salary of £60k, there is nothing else you will qualify for once you get ILR. Your employer might have a child care voucher scheme, which you would be able to utilise if you qualify.

1. Your baby will be eligible for ILR at the time as you if on a dependent visa with you as main applicant. Not sure about your wife if it is 2 years or 5 years.
2. Benefits can only be claimed when you are free from immigration control - when you have ILR
3. Schooling is free for everyone. Nursery is free for 15 hours per week for people on low income who have ILR or are BC. You would not qualify for this due to your high salary.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

projectile
Newly Registered

Post by projectile » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:33 am

Thanks CR001
I have few more questions:
0) You mentioned I might only be able to claim child benefits: can you pls tell what does it include?
1) Can you please tell how long baby has to be in UK to be before i can apply for his/her ILR. And does it matter anywhere in future if the baby is born in UK or India?
2) Thanks
3) How much do these nurseries cost? Someone said to me it can be £400pm and £750pm in private nurseries? Is it a mandatory thing to get children admitted to a nursery before going to school. (It is not mandatory in india but they are not so expensive their either, £750pm is almost monthly mortagage payment).

regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:42 am

If the baby is born in the UK, once you have got your ILR, you can apply to register baby as british, you won't have to apply ILR for the baby.

If baby is born in India, baby will need Tier 1 dependent visa and can apply for ILR at the same time as you.

Child benefits is a payment which is currently £20-30 per week. So once you have got ILR, you can claim child benefits which will be paid into your bank account either weekly or monthly, depending on what you choose when you fill in the form in the future. Also, by the time you apply for ILR, there might have been changes with regards to child benefits and income thresholds. 2015 is still a long way off and no one can say what changes will happen between now and then.

Because you cannot claim benefits now, it would be best if you look into this again once you have got ILR.

I cannot comment on the cost of nurseries (its is not compulsory for children in the UK). I am sure the costs differ, for example London would be much more expensive than Birmingham, for example. You will need to do this research yourself.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

projectile
Newly Registered

Post by projectile » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks CR001 for your advice and knowledge.

regards

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:34 pm

From when I can claim any child benefit? (I am the only person working, earning £60K + pa).
As you will not be able to get ILR until July 2015 at the earlier, by then the law will have changed, and as you will be a Higher Rate taxpayer, there will be no entitlement to claim Child Benefit.

Alternatively your wife could claim it, but your tax bill would go up, so that every penny of the CB would be reclaimed from you.
John

projectile
Newly Registered

Post by projectile » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:32 pm

hmm. thanks John.

yes this is a bit of planning for the future, i understand that rules may change again by then and i will need to get more up to date information at that time again.

Cheers

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:49 pm

From an immigration viewpoint, it is slightly better for the child to be born in the UK, if you wish to remain in the UK.
BL