ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Certificate of no Impediment

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lizzy90
Newly Registered

Certificate of no Impediment

Post by lizzy90 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:53 am

I am looking at applying for fiance visa so I can get married in the UK - as a New Zealander getting married to someone from the UK do I need to apply for a certificate of no impediment or is the letter stating that I'm free to marry enough??

Also if we get married in New Zealand would my Fiance have to do the same?

If we got married (in NZ) and applied for a spouse visa for the UK straight after would that have a negative impact on our application having applied so soon after the marriage ceremony??

Any heads up on this would be great. It's so confusing sometimes!!

JAJ
Australia

Re: Certificate of no Impediment

Post by JAJ » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:16 am

lizzy90 wrote:I am looking at applying for fiance visa so I can get married in the UK - as a New Zealander getting married to someone from the UK do I need to apply for a certificate of no impediment or is the letter stating that I'm free to marry enough??

Also if we get married in New Zealand would my Fiance have to do the same?

If we got married (in NZ) and applied for a spouse visa for the UK straight after would that have a negative impact on our application having applied so soon after the marriage ceremony??

Any heads up on this would be great. It's so confusing sometimes!!
Where do you want to live after marriage: UK, New Zealand or somewhere else?

lizzy90
Newly Registered

Post by lizzy90 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:35 am

we will be living in the UK afterwards.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:24 am

I am looking at applying for fiance visa so I can get married in the UK - as a New Zealander getting married to someone from the UK do I need to apply for a certificate of no impediment or is the letter stating that I'm free to marry enough??
The answer is no, there is no need to provide a "Certificate of no Impediment", either when applying for the fiancé visa, or when giving the Notice of Intention to Marry at the Register Office in the UK.

However if you have been married before it is certainly a case of providing evidence that the former marriage has ended, by providing either the relevant Court Order dissolving the marriage (the equivalent of a Decree Absolute issued in the UK), or alternatively the death certificate of the former spouse. In either case the document must be the original, and not a photocopy.
Absolutely not! No problem in making the application for the spouse visa shortly after the marriage has happened. My own wife's spouse visa was issued only a couple of weeks after the marriage happened.
John

lizzy90
Newly Registered

Post by lizzy90 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:42 pm

Thanks very much John for taking the time to reply.