ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of British citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Proof of British citizenship

Post by Marco 72 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:29 pm

A couple of friends of mine had a son in 2009. When the son was born, both parents, who are EU citizens, had been living in the UK for well over 5 years, hence they were both permanent residents in the UK.

My understanding is that this makes the son a British citizen. Is this correct? If so, is there any evidence of citizenship that can be applied for, apart from a British passport?

Thanks.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 pm

Confirmation of British nationality status using form NS which actually costs more than a passport but I guess they want to avoid the passport as their nationality doesn't allow dual citizenship?

And by the way just living in the UK for 5 years in not enough. They would have needed to exercise treaty rights (working or studying for example). And if from anA8 country, having a WRS if employed.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:34 am

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the parents have both been working in the UK for several years, so they were both exercising treaty rights for over 5 years before the baby's birth. They can actually apply for naturalisation themselves, but my understanding is that they are not interested. Thanks again.