ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Now married what next

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Beyonce
Newly Registered

Now married what next

Post by Beyonce » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:29 pm

From my previous posting I mentioned that my husband and I have decided not to return home, but rather to pursue the case here.

On what basis do you think the application to the HO should be?

By the way, one CAN get married in the Church of England to boycott the certificate thingy from HO!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:19 pm

By the way, one CAN get married in the Church of England to boycott the certificate thingy from HO!
That is right, at the moment, but do not be surprised in the law changes at some time in the future.
John

Beyonce
Newly Registered

Post by Beyonce » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:20 pm

I would really not be surprised at all John!

In regards to my question, what sort of application do you think we should file for now?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:51 pm

Beyonce wrote: In regards to my question, what sort of application do you think we should file for now?
Have you now got married, or still just planning to get married?

Beyonce
Newly Registered

Post by Beyonce » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:43 am

We are now married - got married at the CoE on the 27th of Jan.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:31 am

On what basis do you think the application to the HO should be?

In regards to my question, what sort of application do you think we should file for now?
If that question is posed to me, an application in the UK? I still do not think that is advisable. At the very least it will lead to a delay of years, and absolutely no guarantee that the result will be successful.

So my opinion remains ... the application for a spouse visa should be made by you in Nigeria. A "no switching" rule was introduced as far back as 01.04.03 .... you are absolutely caught by that .... so do not think you are being singled out here.

If you want a comment about an application in the UK you will need to get it from someone else.

Finally, many congratulations on the marriage!
John

Beyonce
Newly Registered

Post by Beyonce » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:13 pm

Thanks John, we had a feeling that might be the case... :(
I know eventually we would have to go back to Nigeria and apply from there but we would like the HO to commit to it and guarantee that I will come back and be with my family.

Can the HO ever give that commitment?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:00 pm

You will not get that guarantee. Each spouse visa application is judged on its own merits .... and the quality of the supporting evidence. However where there is good supporting evidence, and it is clear that the financial and accommodation tests are clearly passed, there is no reason for the application to be rejected.

You and your husband need to start prepared an "evidence folder". If you have not already done so, go to this webpage and download a form VAF2, and also the INF4 guidance notes.
John

Beyonce
Newly Registered

Post by Beyonce » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:44 pm

Will start preparing the folder. Thanks John for your help :)

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:33 pm

Beyonce wrote:Will start preparing the folder. Thanks John for your help :)
And you should also now apply for a British passport for your UK-born daughter, who most likely became a British citizen when you got married (27th January).

Beyonce
Newly Registered

Post by Beyonce » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:44 pm

JAJ thanks for remembering that other part of my case

We have actually applied and awaiting response - will keep you posted.

However I am slightlyconcerned with your statement: "most likely became a British citizen when you got married". :shock:

Are you implying that she might not have become British Citizen?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:41 pm

Beyonce wrote:JAJ thanks for remembering that other part of my case

We have actually applied and awaiting response - will keep you posted.

However I am slightlyconcerned with your statement: "most likely became a British citizen when you got married". :shock:

Are you implying that she might not have become British Citizen?
If the father is domiciled in the UK, then she has become a British citizen (most British born citizens are UK-domiciled).

If father was not domiciled in the UK then she still probably would have become British, but there might be exceptions. It is a complicated area.

Beyonce
Newly Registered

Post by Beyonce » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:58 pm

I believe my husband should be classified as domiciled as he was born here - sorry you got me slightly worried there

Beyonce
Newly Registered

Post by Beyonce » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:02 am

John,

A bit of change in our situation.

We have been trying for a second baby now for the past 2 yrs and I was diagnosed with PCOS. So therefore we have been consulting a private hospital now for a while.

Anyway to cut the long story short, found out on sunday that I am pregnant :o Now I do need to be monitored very closely due to the PCOS and moreover I think it is only fair for us all to experience this pregnancy together as it was a huge surprise to us and we are so happy with the news.

Any chance of turning the case around based on this?