ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 after Indian passport?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DayDream

MN1 after Indian passport?

Post by DayDream » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:07 pm

All

Both myself and my wife have got our ILR's approved this week. We hold Indian passports currently.

We have a 5 month old son born in the UK, who was not included in my or my wifes recent ILR application. We thought we can register him as british once we got our ILRs.

Hence we haven't registered his birth in the indian commission yet and he also doesn't hold an indian passport at the moment.

Now if he gets registered as british and british passport, he needs a visa everytime he travels with us to india. Can we get him an OCI card even if he was not registered with indian high commission? Or can he only apply for PIO???

What are the options for visa less travels for our son to india in future??

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

jaffar
- thin ice -

Post by jaffar » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi Day Dream

The Process for your 5 month old son is as follows

1.Apply for Naturalisation(Registration) Certificate -MN1 Form through NCS.Once he gets Registration certificate,apply for British passport by sending yours or wife's Original passport,son registration certificate and filled application form and 2 photos through check and send postoffice.

Once your son gets british passport,apply for PIO Card by submitting your son british passport by applying in person and make sure you take urs or ur wife indian passport so that they will check and return urs and wife indian passport.

The disadvantage of PIO Card is it is valid for 15years and need to get PIO Card again after 15years or get visit visa for ur son every time he travels to india and once you guys get ur british passport,apply for OCI together.

Hope this helps.Senior please correct if i was wrong.

Regards
Jaffar

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:52 pm

PIO -The other option is to go for 5-year Entry Visa - two days turnaround time and not too costly.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

DayDream

Post by DayDream » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:02 pm

Thanks jaffar & push

Can my son still get registered as indian child born abroad and then later I register him as british so that he could apply for OCI?? Or has he lost his entitlement to get registered as indian since we got our ILR???

I think getting OCI will be beneficial as it has no validity period compared to PIO.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:57 am

DayDream wrote:Thanks jaffar & push

Can my son still get registered as indian child born abroad and then later I register him as british so that he could apply for OCI?? Or has he lost his entitlement to get registered as indian since we got our ILR???

I think getting OCI will be beneficial as it has no validity period compared to PIO.
He would not be eligible for OCI application until one of the parents is eligible for OCI, which you would not be as you still hold the Indian passport. He can apply for OCI when you acquire British citizenship.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

jaffar
- thin ice -

Post by jaffar » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:16 am

Hi DayDream

As Push has mentioned,your son will not be eligible for OCI until you guys are eligible for OCI.

I had the issue with my daughter,she became british and initially we got her 6 month visit visa as Indian High commission London informed us they dont get one year multiple visa and only few months ago we got her PIO.

I think PIO will be the best option for your son once he aquired British passport.

Hope this information helps.

Jaffar

DayDream

Post by DayDream » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi push/jaffar

Thanks again for your valuable inputs.

One last question, is our son eligible for oci(once we get our OCIs) since he never held an indian passport???

Regards

jaffar
- thin ice -

Post by jaffar » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:03 pm

Hi Daydream

He will be eligible for OCI as long as u get british passport and when u apply for OCI

Regards
Jaffar

DayDream

Post by DayDream » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:28 pm

jaffar wrote:Hi Daydream

He will be eligible for OCI as long as u get british passport and when u apply for OCI

Regards
Jaffar

Many thanks mate...

jaffar
- thin ice -

Post by jaffar » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:38 am

You are welcome.

Good luck with your son application.

Jaffar

mr_danny

Post by mr_danny » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:05 pm

jaffar wrote:You are welcome.

Jaffar
Well it's all incorrect.

A child who has had an Indian Passport before is eligible strait for OCI on their own merits.

OCI with parents if the child has never had an Indian Passport

DayDream

Post by DayDream » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:46 pm

mr_danny wrote:
jaffar wrote:You are welcome.

Jaffar
Well it's all incorrect.

A child who has had an Indian Passport before is eligible strait for OCI on their own merits.

OCI with parents if the child has never had an Indian Passport
My son never had indian passport and that means he can only get his OCI only after we get our OCI status.

So what jaffar has suggested seems correct.

jaffar
- thin ice -

Post by jaffar » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:52 am

Hi Mr Danny

Daydream son did not had Indian Passport before.So his son cannot get OCI on his own merit till his parents become eligible to apply for OCI.

Regards
Jaffar

darkhorse10

Post by darkhorse10 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:44 pm

I have almost same question, except that I have registered my baby in Indian embassy and got a Indian Passport for him.

I am clear to a certain point on the process,

- Apply for Naturalization using MN1
- Apply for British Passport

Then?

Is it Surrender Indian passport and apply for PIO?
Apply for PIO and Surrender Indian Passport?
(How quickly do we need to surrender the passport?)

Can I go for 5-year visa instead of PIO, so that I can apply for OCI once me and my wife get British Passports.

What would be the timelines? Would be great if you can give me an idea of the cost too...

vij_sp_1980

Post by vij_sp_1980 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:39 pm

regarding OCI/PIO Please post your queries in this section.