ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can someone clarify this three month thing for me, please?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

LarissaAnn
Newly Registered

Can someone clarify this three month thing for me, please?

Post by LarissaAnn » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:40 pm

For filing a spouse visa from the USA, on the UK Border Agency website it says:

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. Applications received more than 3 months before your date of travel will be returned without a visa and without a refund of the application fee.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/count ... %20English

So I have to have my travel plans/tickets first before I apply? I can't apply, wait for approval, then come to the UK like four/five months later? What if it takes more than three months to process the visa or it's rejected? Then you're out the price of a visa fee AND plane tickets?

Is there anyone who can clarify this policy for me?
Thank you so much.
Lori

Franko

Post by Franko » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:49 pm

What visa are you applying for?

LarissaAnn
Newly Registered

Post by LarissaAnn » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Spouse visa.

My husband and I just got married, he's back in the UK now. Ideally, we were wanting to file the spouse visa about March before we celebrated our wedding in the States in June. We wanted to file it earlier so it could be all done with and we'd have no stresses on that end on top of the stress of our wedding, then enjoy the summer in the US and come back to the UK at our leisure.

Franko

Post by Franko » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:50 pm

You don't need pre booked tickets for spouse visa, the three months doesn't usually apply because it takes up to three months to process or even longer depending where you apply. Once its granted you must travel to the UK within 3 months. So apply now, put down 1st of April as your travel date, then providing its not approved too far before this date you can stay there until June. Or come to the UK earlier and travel back in June for your celebration. Dont leave it too late to apply otherwise you may not get it in time for June.

LarissaAnn
Newly Registered

Post by LarissaAnn » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:39 am

Thank you Franko, that cleared it all up for me =)