ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Parents ILR,Baby BC?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vnambiar
Newly Registered

Parents ILR,Baby BC?

Post by vnambiar » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:23 pm

I understand from the below forum that if parents have ILR and if baby is born in the UK,baby automatically gets BC.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 55&#592355

Does that mean that the baby does not need a certificate of registration or naturalisation?

Can anyone tell me where to confirm this information from,UKBA website or any other official website?
Also,what is the route to apply for british passport for the baby if that is the case

many thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:45 pm

Assuming the baby was born in the UK after the parent was granted ILR.

See If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983. "Settled" means holding ILR/PR.

For the passport process, check the link you provided and scroll down to the passport section.

vnambiar
Newly Registered

Post by vnambiar » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:58 pm

Jambo
Many thanks for a prompt reply.
The link that you gave was exactly what I was looking for.
Regards

vnambiar
Newly Registered

Post by vnambiar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:41 pm

Jambo
I am still a bit confused about this.Since the child is born in the UK after me and my wife got ILR,do we need to register the child as a British citizen or can we directly apply for childs British passort using the form from post office by providing our passport and ILR permit as supporting documents?
I dont see any section in the British passport application form to explain this situation

boloney

Post by boloney » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:26 am

vnambiar wrote:Jambo
I am still a bit confused about this.Since the child is born in the UK after me and my wife got ILR,do we need to register the child as a British citizen or can we directly apply for childs British passort using the form from post office by providing our passport and ILR permit as supporting documents?
I dont see any section in the British passport application form to explain this situation
apply for passport.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:09 am

Please read the legislation, and in particular Section 1(1).

Simple really ..... baby born in the UK .... at the time of the birth at least one parent is "settled", and having ILR means the person is indeed "settled". The result is that the baby is British from the moment of birth.
John

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:05 am

I agree that the form or the guide don't really explain circumstances similar to yours. They are more aimed for children to British parents.

As stated already, the child is British from birth.

If you wish, you can add some words in Section 8 in the form - "parents are settled in the UK from dd/mm/yyyy". And put your ILR approval date. You will need to send your passport + BRP with the application to support the claim for British citizenship.

lovnishs

Post by lovnishs » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:28 pm

HI,

I am in same situation applying for my baby's british passport. Both my wife & myself got ILR before her birth. So baby is BC by birth.

Regargding supporting document,

Do we both need to send our passport + ILR ? Or either parent can send his/her passport+ILR ? And do I really need to send passport as for ILR I got BRP. So can't I just send BRP ?

Please confirm

Many thanks

laxani

Post by laxani » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:01 pm

lovnishs wrote:HI,

I am in same situation applying for my baby's british passport. Both my wife & myself got ILR before her birth. So baby is BC by birth.

Regargding supporting document,

Do we both need to send our passport + ILR ? Or either parent can send his/her passport+ILR ? And do I really need to send passport as for ILR I got BRP. So can't I just send BRP ?

Please confirm

Many thanks
I have the same query - do I need to send one or both parents passport + BRP

Can I only send the BRP as this is proof enough that we are settled?

Any reply will be highly appreciated. Thanks