ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Opening bank account while EEA2 pending

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Erik84

Opening bank account while EEA2 pending

Post by Erik84 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:06 pm

My wife (who is the non-EEA national) tried to open a UK bank account today with Halifax. She was denied as she did not yet have a residence card. The bank representative said that she would need to have a residence card in the passport.

As we have received our passorts back, I assume my wife will get her RC on a separate piece of paper. Im a bit worried that she will have problems opening a bank account even after receiving the RC.

Has anyone experieced the same problem? Is it possible to open a UK bank account while the EEA2 application is pending?

----------------------------------------
EEA2 Application sent: 20/11/2012
Received by UKBA: 21/11/2012
COA received: 27/11/2012 (dated 23/11/2012)
Passports requested: 4/12/12
Passports received: 14/12/12
RC received: TBA

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:48 pm

My non EU Wife has been in the UK since the end of November on a Family Permit, we only sent off for the RC on Thursday (needed our Passports to fly to Belfast for Christmas).

Anyway, she has been registered with our local GP, received NHS Card, sent off for and received NI Number and opened an A/C with Nationwide. All no problem at all, we only used her Passport and a utility Bill with both our names on it.

The utility bill was no problem either, just call them up and ask for your wife's name to be put onto the bill. We had to fax over a signed statement saying that she agreed to be put on the bill, but that was all.

Maybe try Nationwide, or someone else apart from Halifax? The RC wasn't mentioned by Nationwide.

Good luck :D

Edit - My Wife also received her first Statement for her A/C today, Nationwide Post them Monthly, which is quite helpfull and always handy to have.

Erik84

Post by Erik84 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks Salem.

We have bills in both our names - got a council tax bill already when she was here on a tourist visa, so that's indeed not a problem.

We'll try Nationwide then!

Off topic, but I had no idea a passport was necessary to go to Belfast. Thought that would be domestic. I wonder if my wife can travel to/from London - Belfast while EEA2 is pending and her tourist visa has expired.

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:15 pm

Only needed to fly, N.Ireland is a part of the UK, domestic as you say.

My Wife's Passport, indeed both our Passports were required to fly by Aer Lingus. I actually contacted them to confirm photo ID or Passport, and was told Passport, so that was that.

I'm not sure what other Carriers require, photo ID or Passport, Easyjet ect, or by boat?

Schastlivchik
Newly Registered

Post by Schastlivchik » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:42 pm

hi! i opened halifax while waitin for rc. i have just told to the manager that im married to eu. only had full uk driving lc and water bill with me. opened in hammersmith branch.
Happy New Year everyone!

uberto
Newly Registered

Post by uberto » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:33 pm

Same situation, my wife had the AC refused by Lloyds and HSBC. At the end I asked a second count in my name and she's using the second debit card waiting for the RC.
HSBC has a special account (Passport) for tourists and temporary students, but not for EU spouse. :(

Nimitta
Member of Standing

Re: Opening bank account while EEA2 pending

Post by Nimitta » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:54 pm

[quote="Erik84"]Has anyone experieced the same problem? Is it possible to open a UK bank account while the EEA2 application is pending?

Yep, if you have a EU driving licence you can do that. I opened an account at Barclays.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:08 am

Opening a bank account in the UK is difficult in general. It is a common complaint of anyone who has moved to the UK. Building societies used to be more responsive though I am not sure if that is still true.

uberto
Newly Registered

Post by uberto » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:49 am

Nimitta wrote: Yep, if you have a EU driving licence you can do that. I opened an account at Barclays.
Did you tell them all the story about EEA2 pending etc?

First thing they asked my wife was to see the visa on the passport.

Erik84

Post by Erik84 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:00 pm

My non-EEA wife tried Nationwide today and they opened an account for her without any problems. And that was without any UK driving license, just with a passport and a council tax bill.

ravii

Post by ravii » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:18 pm

For those who wants to open a bank account.this is not a mathematical question.simply banks need 1 proof of identity and 1 proof of address.just check the list of documents from the relevant banks website.list A normally tells the list of documents which banks accept as a proof of identity and list B is,for the list of documents which banks accept as a proof of address.Option A
For each customer applying at a branch please provide one of the following items. If you do not have one of these items, please refer to Option B.
Option B
n Unexpired passport.
n Unexpired UK/EEA (or Switzerland) photocard driving
licence (the date of the licence and photograph must be in date).
n EEA or Switzerland national identity card. n Northern Ireland voters card.
n UK ID card for foreign nationals.
For each customer applying by telephone, post or internet and for any customer applying at a branch who cannot provide an item from Option A:
Existing Santander customer – please provide one item from List 1.
New Santander customer – please provide two items: one from List 1 plus a separate item from List 2. Please note items from the same source cannot be used twice.
List 1
n Unexpired passport.
n Unexpired UK/EEA (or Switzerland) photocard driving licence (the date of the licence and photograph must be in date).
n EEA or Switzerland national identity card.
n Northern Ireland voters card.
n Unexpired UK old style driving licence (not provisional).
n Notification of entitlement to state/local authority benefit*. n Notification of entitlement to tax credit*.
n Notification of entitlement to pension from the DWP*.
n Notification of entitlement to student loan/grant*.
n Notification of entitlements to other government/local authority grant*.
n HMRC (Inland Revenue) coding/assessment/statement/tax credit*(not P45/P60s).
List 2
n Unexpired passport.
n Unexpired UK/EEA (or Switzerland) photocard driving licence (the date of the licence and photograph must be in date).
n EEA or Switzerland national identity card.
n Northern Ireland voters card.
n Unexpired UK old style driving licence (not provisional). n Council tax bill/demand letter*.
n Notification of entitlement to state/local authority benefit*. n Notification of entitlement to tax credit*.
n Notification of entitlement to pension from the DWP*.
n Notification of entitlement to educational loan/grant*.
n Notification of entitlement to other government/local authority grant*.
List 2 (continued)
n HMRC (Inland Revenue) coding/assessment/statement/tax credit* (not P45/P60s).
n Bank statement (not internet printed)**.
n Utility bill (not mobile phone, satellite/cable TV or internet
printed bills)**.
n Credit card statement (not internet printed)**.
n UCAS letter (students only)*.
n Local council rent card or tenancy agreement*.
n HMRC (Inland Revenue) correspondence including name, address and permanent NI number*.
n Pension/benefit correspondence from the DWP*.
n Instrument of a court appointment e.g. Probate or Court
registered Power of Attorney.
Best regards

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:51 pm

Erik84 wrote:My non-EEA wife tried Nationwide today and they opened an account for her without any problems. And that was without any UK driving license, just with a passport and a council tax bill.
Nice one Erik :D

As far as Nationwide goes, all they need is one proof of ID, and 1 proof of address.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:57 pm

ravii wrote:For those who wants to open a bank account.this is not a mathematical question...

Unexpired passport.
The problem with the particular bank you've quoted from is that when presenting a non-EU passport, they require sight of a valid visa.

Nimitta
Member of Standing

Post by Nimitta » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:23 pm

uberto wrote:Did you tell them all the story about EEA2 pending etc?

First thing they asked my wife was to see the visa on the passport.
I told them that my passport at the HO right now. Did not tell them about EEA2 and do not think they know what it is.