ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Few basic OCI questions

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

decentguy_uk

Few basic OCI questions

Post by decentguy_uk » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:46 pm

All

I have 3 simple OCI related questions

Background:
Myself - British Citizen with possession of surrender certificate of Indian Passport
My wife British Citizen with possession of surrender certificate of Indian Passport-
Daughter - UK born British Citizen

Questions
1. Can I apply for OCI in person (at Indian embassy London) by printing form A and B with all required docs? Or does Form A has to be done online?
2. I read some comparision somewhere and it suggests that my daughter cannot get OCI as she has to apply whilst we (parents) were Indian citizens with valid Indian Passport
3. If application can be made in person at embassy, how long before I can collect OCI card. i.e. what sort of time it takes from start to finish

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Re: Few basic OCI questions

Post by Mauser1905 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:29 pm

decentguy_uk wrote: 1. Can I apply for OCI in person (at Indian embassy London) by printing form A and B with all required docs? Or does Form A has to be done online?
2. I read some comparision somewhere and it suggests that my daughter cannot get OCI as she has to apply whilst we (parents) were Indian citizens with valid Indian Passport
3. If application can be made in person at embassy, how long before I can collect OCI card. i.e. what sort of time it takes from start to finish
1.Yes you can apply in person. If you go through threads you will find useful and helpful information.
2. You interpreted opposite. UK born child can not apply for OCI unless either of the parents are British citizen. Meaning if you both had Indian passports and you child is born British then child is not eligible for OCI unless either of the parents obtain British citizenship.
3. The timeline thread is what you asking for!

Most importantly you will need a joint affidavit for your child if child never had Indian passport.
Go through the threads for affidavit.

regards.

vij_sp_1980

Post by vij_sp_1980 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:46 am

Just wondering why does they need joint affidavit for their child to prove child never had Indian passport?

Wondering Is it really necessary?

When i applied PIO for my kid last year in birmingham by post they called after couple of days and just enquired whether my kid possessed any indian passport anytime..

i said no and rest of process was all fine.

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Post by Mauser1905 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:17 pm

vij_sp_1980 wrote:Just wondering why does they need joint affidavit for their child to prove child never had Indian passport?

Wondering Is it really necessary?
By common sense and going through dates, No in my case. but law is A*&. However govt has every right to ascertain the legal process to prevent frauds, in my view.

Consulate requires notarised joint affidavit in such cases and that is clearly stated on their website. There is nothing to prove, only to declare and affirm that applicant did not possess Indian nationality/passport.

I believe its the same if one had UK residency and went for Indian passport renewal, that person will have to produce certificate from home office for non-acquisition of British citizenship.