ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Which form to use for Naturalization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

afzalfinance

Which form to use for Naturalization

Post by afzalfinance » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:56 am

Hi
I have a friend who got his Indifinite in August 2010. He was applying for Naturalization and after filing the form AN he was not sure if that is the correct form for him and aksed me if I can get some one advise ont his forum.

He came to this country in 2000 and applied for Assylum.Got refused but stayed here. He applied again latter in 2008 and got his indifinite under exceptional cirmustances.
Now he is not sure if form AN is the appropriate one for him to apply for naturalization because someone told him that this form is for those who apply on the basis of their own residence in UK but the form aske for proof of legal residence proof for last 5 years.

Please help
God help those who help themselves

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:18 am

AN is the correct form for him to use, but he needs to check carefully to ensure that applying would not be a total waste of money.

When in 2008 did he get his ILR? He might need to wait and apply after the 5th anniversary of him getting his ILR.
John

pr81968196
Newly Registered

Post by pr81968196 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:34 pm

Hi,
UKBA has come out with new version of FORM AN now. I accidentally found it today.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... orm_an.pdf
They have changed questions in Good Character requirement section. Rest all the wordings look same and month/year on the first page is Dec 2012.

Please can anyone check and confirm if I am correct.

Regs
PR

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:01 am

Well yes, obviously use the latest version of the form.
John

afzalfinance

Post by afzalfinance » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:07 am

John wrote:AN is the correct form for him to use, but he needs to check carefully to ensure that applying would not be a total waste of money.

When in 2008 did he get his ILR? He might need to wait and apply after the 5th anniversary of him getting his ILR.
Thanks John
Well, he got his ILR in August 2010 . Does this mean he can qualify for naturalization in August 2015?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:22 am

Well he certainly will be time-qualified then.

But might he be time-qualified sooner? It is actually quite complicated and unless you are able to post his full UK immigration history, it is unlikely that it will be possible to come to a firm conclusion.

But for starters, you tell us "He came to this country in 2000 and applied for Assylum.". But when did he apply for asylum? As soon as he arrived in the UK, at the Port of Entry?

Or did he arrive in the proverbial back of a lorry, and then claimed asylum later? If so, how much later?
John

afzalfinance

Post by afzalfinance » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:10 pm

John wrote:Well he certainly will be time-qualified then.

But might he be time-qualified sooner? It is actually quite complicated and unless you are able to post his full UK immigration history, it is unlikely that it will be possible to come to a firm conclusion.

But for starters, you tell us "He came to this country in 2000 and applied for Assylum.". But when did he apply for asylum? As soon as he arrived in the UK, at the Port of Entry?

Or did he arrive in the proverbial back of a lorry, and then claimed asylum later? If so, how much later?
Thanks John
This was a misunderstanding that he got reefused for his Asylum.Actualy he was not refused.
My friend came to Ireland and came this country in Ferry but having no UK Visa, so he might be of the same category as is in the back of Lorry.

After applying for Asylum in May 2001 my friend got a letter for interview
which was to be taken in June 2001. The letter was refrenced as S1238987 dated 4 May 2001.

When he got his ILR on 10 Aug 2010 , It refered to the same refernce as above S1238987 dated 4 May 2001.

Please guide aftre having these information.
Thanks and Regards,

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:30 am

OK, he entered the UK in 2000 but did not apply for asylum until May 2001.

My understanding is that he did not become "legal" in the UK until he got his ILR, and therefore he should wait until he has had his ILR for 5 years before applying for Naturalisation.
John

afzalfinance

Post by afzalfinance » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:08 pm

John wrote:OK, he entered the UK in 2000 but did not apply for asylum until May 2001.

My understanding is that he did not become "legal" in the UK until he got his ILR, and therefore he should wait until he has had his ILR for 5 years before applying for Naturalisation.
Thanks John,

Well, when he entered he was not having any visa for this country so no proof when he came.So in this case does it make difference that he applied late for Asylum?

Kind Regards

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Have a look at this UKBA staff guidance document, and 8.7 in particular.

You will see three categories detailed there. Which one do you think he is in? Based upon what you have posted, I think 3.

When he applied for asylum, what did he tell them, as regards when and how he entered the UK?
John

afzalfinance

Post by afzalfinance » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:03 pm

John wrote:Have a look at this UKBA staff guidance document, and 8.7 in particular.

You will see three categories detailed there. Which one do you think he is in? Based upon what you have posted, I think 3.

When he applied for asylum, what did he tell them, as regards when and how he entered the UK?
Thanks John, Much appreciated your very logical approach and for you time.
Regards