ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Application - Changing jobs

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

saffaineire
Newly Registered

Citizenship Application - Changing jobs

Post by saffaineire » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi I hope someone here might be able to help as I can't seem to find information anywhere. I submitted my naturalisation application at the beginning of Nov 2012 within 3 weeks I got a request back for some missing info which I sent back straight away.

I am now looking to change job as an opportunity has opened up which is a lower salary but an excellent career opportunity. Does anyone know if it is advisable to change jobs during the application process or could this affect my application negatively?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:50 pm

It's completely irrelevant.

saffaineire
Newly Registered

Post by saffaineire » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:01 pm

Would I need to notify them of the change or what would the procedure be? The fact that my salary would be lower, would this also not affect the application?

After 5 years of waiting I just want to be cautious!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:08 pm

Naturalization is not a mean-tested application. You don't have to working so changing something that is not relevant to the application does not have to be communicated.

saffaineire
Newly Registered

Post by saffaineire » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:09 pm

Thanks so much for the advice you don't know how much you have made my day / year :D

saffaineire
Newly Registered

Post by saffaineire » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:13 pm

apologies - double post :oops:

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:48 pm

I think saying it is completly irrelevant is a very big strech :-s

If I look at that application form here they request:

•A letter from your current employer showing the commencement date, if you are in employment.
• A copy of your current P21 or P60 or tax statement from the Revenue Commissioners if you are in employment.

Given that when you apply you also commit to informing them of any change in your situation ... it most likely includes change in employement since they asked for that in the first place.

On top of that, during the application process they might ring your employer to make sure you didn't provide false documentation and make sure you are actually working there (I am sure they would do that in at least some cases as they did if for a friend of mine). I don't think it would give you good points with them if they get told by the employer that you are actually not working there.

So in summary ... no problem with changing job, but I would definitly inform them of the change and provide them with a new employement letter and contact details of the employer!
Last edited by jeupsy on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

saffaineire
Newly Registered

Post by saffaineire » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi jeupsy

What you have highlighted is exactly why I was worried that changing employer would affect my application. I can wait and hold on for another opportunity if necessary but my current workplace has become almost unbearable :(

Is there any indication if current applications are being processed within 6 months or are they still a bit longer than that?

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:02 pm

If you are very lucky it might be 6 months ... but you should definilty not count on it for sure (expect to have it within a year if there is no exception or additional processing in your case).

However I don't think you should worry about changing job. Just make sure that as soon as you are in your new job you send them a registered letter to inform them with a copy of your new employement letter; and you will be fine (you can also send them an email at the same time if you want them to be aware of it quickly - the address is citizenshipinfo@justice.ie and usually they reply the same day).

saffaineire
Newly Registered

Post by saffaineire » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:08 pm

Perfect guys thanks for all your help.

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:22 pm

Lucapooka wrote:Naturalization is not a mean-tested application. You don't have to working so changing something that is not relevant to the application does not have to be communicated.
I disagree with you Lucapooka. Naturalisation use to be a 100% mean-tested application. So many people were refused in the past solely based on the fact that they are unemployed.

It is not 100% mean-tested as it is use to be, but could be use against you in your application. All in the ministers discretion.

Eg. Someone that has been claiming job seekers allowance for 4 years now and had never work in Ireland b4 could be refused.
I oppose stereotype, prejudice, xenophobe, judgmental, Ignorance, and beloved.

NewIrish

Post by NewIrish » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:09 pm

IntegratedMigrant wrote:
Lucapooka wrote:Naturalization is not a mean-tested application. You don't have to working so changing something that is not relevant to the application does not have to be communicated.
I disagree with you Lucapooka. Naturalisation use to be a 100% mean-tested application. So many people were refused in the past solely based on the fact that they are unemployed.

It is not 100% mean-tested as it is use to be, but could be use against you in your application. All in the ministers discretion.

Eg. Someone that has been claiming job seekers allowance for 4 years now and had never work in Ireland b4 could be refused.

This is not the case anymore .....

They are not refusing unemployed applications. Some people think that the unemployed application will be processed and approved faster as they think most of the working applications would leave the country once they get the passport and stop paying the taxes

saffaineire
Newly Registered

Post by saffaineire » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:12 pm

Ok I emailed the Citizenship division for clarification and this is the response:

"When you do change employers, please submit the details of the new one in
addition to any payslips when received. These can be added to your file in
support of your application.

The reduction in salary will not affect the application."

So happy to hear this!!! :D