ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU inter-marriage question

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kindrik
Newly Registered

EU inter-marriage question

Post by kindrik » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:41 pm

Not sure how this works, so I have come here to ask.

Im an american citizen. How difficult is it for me to become an EU citizen? And if I do become one, can I marry a british citizen?

For example, lets say I become a french citizen. Could I then marry someone from the UK?

(without all the UK's crap on immigration)

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:48 pm

The UK does not restrict its citizens from marrying French citizens. That would appear to be the extent of your enquiry which has no immigration aspects. Is there some broader issue or objective that you need help with?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:56 pm

The UK doesn't prevent its citizens marrying a person of any nationality. What claim to French nationality do you have?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:33 pm

US citizen. This lengthy thread will fill in the missing info:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... c&start=20

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:03 pm

I think the point you missed from the previous discussion was that it was more likely to be your wife-to-be who would move to the EU country and exercise her treaty rights so that you could join her under a family permit.

But hey - if you have a claim to citizenship of any one of the EU countries ... you can go ahead and claim that, and then use your right of free movement to come to the UK.

You'll need to check the rules of each country separately.

M.

kindrik
Newly Registered

Post by kindrik » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:51 pm

Yes MP, thats the idea. But she wont move, due to her daughter. So i was thinking of options. For example, if i became a citizen of another EU country, then could i move to the UK, kind of like you are saying with her.

I was thinking it might be easier to become a citizen of another EU country than england.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:41 pm

You appear to be clutching at straws either that or you are a time waster. Each EU country has its own set of nationality laws i would imagine that generally speaking whilst some may have more favourable laws than others there won't be any where you can suddenly acquire their nationality (assuming you don't have a prior claim due to ancestry) without living and working there for a number of years.