ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Allowances in Pay slip

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

imranhameed2000

Allowances in Pay slip

Post by imranhameed2000 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:18 am

My pay slip shows 2 figures.

Total Gross Pay: xxxx (this includes the allowances that are included under Travel and subsistence scheme but also then taken away in salary adjustment coloumn so i dont really get them but they are declared in my pay slips). this also forms remuneration package of my salary.

Gross for Tax: xxxx this figure is even lower than what i really earn. Basicaly this is a sort of tax avoidance scheme.

I initially applied the Tier 1 General by claiming points for Total Gross Pay that includes the allowances but are taken away on the other side. i am a bit nervous now as my extension is coming. Can i still do the same. Or if my extension is not approved because of this allowances confusion can i later challenge home office by saying that i was initially granted visa on the same criteria.

Please if any one can throw some light on this issue.

imranhameed2000

Post by imranhameed2000 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:07 pm

anyone help please!!!!!

imranhameed2000

Post by imranhameed2000 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:35 pm

pls cam smone help

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Re: Allowances in Pay slip

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:34 pm

imranhameed2000 wrote: Total Gross Pay: xxxx (this includes the allowances that are included under Travel and subsistence scheme but also then taken away in salary adjustment coloumn so i dont really get them but they are declared in my pay slips). this also forms remuneration package of my salary.
What do you mean when you say the allowance is added & then taken away (& that you don't really get them)? Are the allowances you mention stated in your employment contract & therefore part of your pay package? More clarity is required to comment any further & understand what your main concern here is.

imranhameed2000

Post by imranhameed2000 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:14 am

Thanks for the response.

The Allowances are declared in the Pay Slip and is a part of my remuneration package but this is optional scheme you can opt out from it whenever u want. i have signed a paper with my company long time a go saying i will be a part of this scheme. i do not get these allowances they are taken away under salary adjustment on the other hand but do form the part of my package.

However i did get my initial tier-1 general on this basis where the allowances were actually considered valid by home office. but now i have met few accountants who are saying that these allowances are bit dodgy as you dont get them.so they might not get considered.

Will the home office consider the same criteria as my initial application or they can turn down the allowances this time. and if so can i challenge them on the basis of my initial application was approved and the allowances were considered.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:50 am

The reason why your employer is doing, what they are doing (by adding allowances to your gross pay and then deducting them) is still unclear. But there is something definitely not quite right. This is different to instances that I know of where an employees "Gross pay" is less than their "Gross pay for Tax" due to them contributing to a pension (as the amount going into the pension is not taxed)

Based on the T1G guidance, the UKBA will consider allowances as part of your previous earnings, so long as they are not reimbursement payments for your expenses. See http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... /earnings/

Your concern appears to be independent to this, and more to do with your employers rather strange method of paying their employees.

When the UKBA consider your next T1G extension application, they will assess it based on the evidence you provide this time. I.e. not your previous application. So whether or not they accept your gross pay (which appears to include allowance amounts that you are not actually paid) will depend on how closely they analyse the payslip evidence this time (which they may not have done the first time around). It's a difficult one to comment on. Personally, I would stick with the "Gross for Tax" as that is what you are actually paid. But that is my opinion & others may have a different point of view.

Incidently, do you qualify for your extension with the required points if you use the "Gross for Tax" amounts rather than "Total Gross Pay"?

imranhameed2000

Post by imranhameed2000 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:38 am

thank you for your reply.

I do not make it to the figure required for extension when Gross for Tax is considered.

This Gross for Tax that is declared is even less than what i get paid actually. here is an example.

Total Hours 60
Hourly Rate 9
Amount 540
Travel & subsistence 200

Total Gross Pay 740
Gross for Tax 450

Above is the rough format of my Pay Slip.

I hope this clears it a bit.

Please comment......

Which Salary figure will be considered by home office. In initial application they considered Total Gross Pay figure.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:33 pm

Don't get me wrong, I understood what you said in your second post. What I don't understand is why your employer is doing what they are doing (by adding allowances that you not actually get to your payslip) - Note that I don't know the background behind this and I don't need to, its more something you would need to understand than anyone else.

Coming back to your question "Which Salary figure will be considered by home office. In initial application they considered Total Gross Pay figure" my answer remains the same as before. Unfortunately I cannot add anything more to this. You will either need to find an alternative means to claim the points required or claim the points based on your "Total Gross pay" and see what happens.
When the UKBA consider your next T1G extension application, they will assess it based on the evidence you provide this time. I.e. not your previous application. So whether or not they accept your gross pay (which appears to include allowance amounts that you are not actually paid) will depend on how closely they analyse the payslip evidence this time (which they may not have done the first time around). It's a difficult one to comment on. Personally, I would stick with the "Gross for Tax" as that is what you are actually paid. But that is my opinion & others may have a different point of view.