ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Scenario: Lost passport abroad

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:50 pm

sheraz7 wrote:So you are already in uk. But how you already know your passport will be lost and why you want to loose your passport.
I too had understood that the OP had lost their passport and were looking for help. It might have been better if they had been clearer in their thread. That said, it is a good question and the OP can ask away.

Keep your passports safe!

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Hubba wrote:
sheraz7 wrote:@Hubba
Everybody has made really interesting contribution over this thread and how can you say that op has a valid concern despite the fact firstly he built the situation that he lost his passport in nigeria and then subsequently he said that he is in uk but just need advise as what need to do if this event happen. Is that a valid concern or does it really deserve to be called as valid.
Well, do you travel to 3rd. world countries with a certain frequency, at least to those with safety problems? I do. And it terrifies me even to think of having my passport stolen on these trips. So that's why I can judge the OP's concern as valid. I too live in the UK, for 4 and a half years now. My whole life is here, but I have folks abroad, living in places in which safety is a major concern (the local population is desensitised already). Me and my wife have already discussed contingency plans if we're mugged abroad whilst carrying our passports. But just to think of going through all this trouble if something happens is that worries me.

What I meant is that, as you have shown again on your comment, you're judging the OP's concern as if he was acting with bad intentions, whilst he's only overthinking a concern that, whilst it may seem very trivial or insignificant to you, is quite significant for him.
I think I've got a bit carried away in my answer. After all, I'm sure everyone's intent here is to help one another.

bluecole2
- thin ice -

Post by bluecole2 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:31 pm

I believe I noted this was a 'scenario' not necessarily mean event has occurred. (MOD EDIT: if you had said, hypothetical scenario, your intentions would have been clearer; and indead if there had been other markers to your intentions, but there were none. The post as written could be misunderstood, in fact on reflection difficult to see how it could be hypothetical as written. Notwithstanding that and making allowances for your undoubted best intentions, subsequent posts have lead to you being put on "thin ice". If you wish to use the forum from now on, please be very clear as to what your questions are and don't get offended with people's responses - liked or otherwise. Many people give up their free time to deal with people's questions, most of which are real and immediate).

Thanks guys for the pleasant and unpleasant responses. Thanks to those that see this as a valid concern, and for the rest of you that don't. What will you do when you find yourself in this sort of situation when you have to return to your family or to work asap? Lives daily routine can change very quickly. Have it at the back of your mind.

Some of you guys definitely misunderstood my me; but rushing into judgement is not what I expect from some experience member of this forum. I suppose this forum is for you guys to make comments, advice when necessary and not to be the judge and perhaps suppose someone seeking advice had done or planning to do something wrong. However I suppose this topic perhaps never been discussed and it brings quite a few experience member to discuss it if I may say so.

What I meant by UK embassy in Nigeria (is their website in Nigeria- http://ukinnigeria.fco.gov.uk/en/)
Directive/2004/38/EC
If you loose your passport abroad, first priority is to get a replacement. Proving who you are, and that you are the right person to give the passport to.
Of course getting a passport is the priority, the world knows that, you wouldn't go to the embassy of residence without one neither would you fly to the UK with a blank passport if not normally visa free countries.

Every question I ask on this forum is not only for my benefit but for others that may find themselves in such situation in the future may easily find similar discussion.
sheraz7
Everybody has made really interesting contribution over this thread and how can you say that op has a valid concern despite the fact firstly he built the situation that he lost his passport in nigeria and then subsequently he said that he is in uk but just need advise as what need to do if this event happen. Is that a valid concern or does it really deserve to be called as valid.
For your info I didn't build any situation that I lost my passport in Nigeria, unfortunately you jumped into conclusion. Perhaps you may choose to learn from your mistake and refrain from accusation.

How many people will want to loose their travel documents abroad? I certainly don't and always do what it takes to ensure that. But how many people had lost or have their travel documents stolen every year? Surely this isn't a few.
Jambo
If it makes you feel better, people under the immigration rules (TLTR/ILR) also need to go through the same process (i.e. apply for entry clearance from the consulate abroad).
There isn't any reason for these sort of aggressive response. If you are not happy to reply politely, please don't.

As for you guys mentioning 'it is for the holder's use only' What does this implies? Is it because Nigeria is mentioned in this discussion? Perhaps if I had mentioned a well recognised developed country there would have been no mention of this ridiculous statement. Behind your mind you guys had already suspected something wrong and judged it. Not everyone from a country known for corruption and all sort of negative stuff are corrupt. This biggest corruption is committed, for example in the one i'm currently residing.

To conclude this matter, in every aspect of life we always think 'what can I do when something goes wrong (when you don't want such event to occur)?' We always have or seek a back-up plan and that is all I was trying to do. And not just for myself but for every other person that don't know and come across this thread

Thanks all for your participation

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:01 am

bluecole2 wrote:
Jambo
If it makes you feel better, people under the immigration rules (TLTR/ILR) also need to go through the same process (i.e. apply for entry clearance from the consulate abroad).
There isn't any reason for these sort of aggressive response. If you are not happy to reply politely, please don't.
Could you please explain what was aggressive in my response?

You asked what are the provisions for ILR holders and I replied that it is similar to what people under the EEA regulations need to go through. The "if it makes you feel better" just means that RC holders are not treated worse than ILR holders (i.e. both are in the same boat).

aledeniz
United Kingdom

Post by aledeniz » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:57 am

Obie wrote:Provision has to be made to deal with these issues, expeditiously, whatever the circumstances.
I agree. Since moving in the UK, I've used 5 identity documents at the ports of entry, and I currently hold only 2 of those: 1 was lost and 2 were destroyed (1 from the issuing authorities at renewal, accordingly to their regulation, they gave me back just the photo). I'm an EU citizen, so it doesn't matter much in my own case, even tough at my NCS appointment they called the BA to confirm that they could go through with my application even if I was missing 3 identity documents used at the ports of entry during my qualifying period, but I could not agree more with you than when you stated the above. The current status of this sort of issue seems far too harsh when non EEA citizens' identity documents are involved.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:36 am

I believe this thread has run its course.

Keep copies of everything, have insurance. Look after your passport.