ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residency Requirement - 5 years - Discretion

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

harika_85
Newly Registered

Residency Requirement - 5 years - Discretion

Post by harika_85 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:07 pm

Dear,

I am in the UK since May 2007 as a Work Permit Dependent, and I got my ILR in Jan 2012 as a Tier 1 dependent (My husband shifted from Work permit to Tier 1).

We're planning to apply for naturalisation this year (my husband, myself and my daughter - born in India).

In the last 5 years however, my absences from UK are 490 to be precise (excluding the travel dates). I had these many absences because of the common reason - baby born in India. And due to some personal reasons, I got struck in India although I was on maternity leave (got it extended) during this period.

I believe discretion can be used in scenarios where the absences are upto 480, although the mandatory figure is 450. I am just wondering if discretion can be applied in my case?

I didn't travel outside UK after I got my ILR. It was just because one absence exceeding a year (Aug 2010 to Oct 2011), my total absences shot up.

During this absence however, I was on maternity leave, I paid my council tax (we rent our house), TV licensing, NI contributions etc.

My question to the forum is, are there any similar scenarios where people were absent in excess of 480 and still got favorable decisions during naturalisation.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Harika

asim72
BANNED

Post by asim72 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:00 pm

Read section 4 of this document, and decide for yourselves where you stand, and whether you want to give it a shot. There won't be any further information available on this matter, I guess.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary