ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

USA to UK Fiance Visa Checklist

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Opal
Newly Registered

USA to UK Fiance Visa Checklist

Post by Opal » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi,

I'm in the USA and planning to apply for my UK fiancé visa in mid-February, as soon as I return from a trip to the UK (I'm going in early February to gather all my fiancé's documents and to visit for a week). My partner and I have gathered everything we think we need but I'm hoping someone who is in the trenches might take a look and tell me if I'm overlooking anything. His salary is far above the requirement, and there is no issue with overcrowding.

This is what we're submitting:

Applicant's fiance visa form
Applicant's passport
Applicant's birth certificate
Certified copy of sponsor's passport
Certified copy of sponsor's birth certificate

12 months of sponsor's payslips
12 months of sponsor's bank statements
Letter from sponsor's employer
Sponsor's P60
Sponsor's mortgage deed

12 month email archive from sponsor to applicant
12 month email archive from applicant to sponsor
12 months of applicant's phone bills with calls to sponsor highlighted
12 months of sponsor's phone bills with calls to applicant highlighted
12 months of Skype logs
25 photos of applicant and sponsor together in UK and USA
Letters from sponsor's family stating they love applicant
Cards and letters from applicant to sponsor
Cards and letters from sponsor to applicant
Boarding passes from applicant's trips to UK
Customs forms showing gifts mailed from applicant to sponsor
British Airways print out of frequent flyer account showing all trips to UK

Receipt from registrar reserving our wedding date
Receipt for engagement ring
Receipt from wedding gown salon
Receipt from cake maker (deposit)
Receipt from photographer (deposit)
Receipt from venue reserving our date (deposit)
Receipt from hair/makeup stylist (deposit)
Receipt from florist (deposit)
Save the Date card

My understanding is that I must send the application, then use WorldBridge to expedite the application, then get my biometrics done. Is this correct? (I know it isn't required to get the expedited service, but we want it so is this the correct order?)

Neither of us have any history of overstaying or any criminal history. How quickly, with the expedited service, would I get the visa?

One last question: we plan to marry two weeks before my visa expires. We are going to Croydon the day after our wedding (before the honeymoon) to apply for FLM. Will this be a problem, considering it is only two weeks?

Thanks for your help.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:56 pm

I can't help on the earlier questions - but re: going to croydon.

It won't be a problem from the point of view of it being the day after your wedding in terms of visa rules ... but I would suggest that:

1) Planning your wedding to be so close to visa expiry is asking for trouble ... what happens if your venue isn't available etc or there is a problem and you need to rearrange.

2) Planning a same day visit the very day after the wedding is hopeful. Appointments are tricky to get at the best of times.

3) Even if you do have a same day appointment - there are (sort of) regular stories here of computer failure which pushes same-day into standard service with nothing you can do but wait. I think we see one every month or so. Not sure I'd take that risk.

In our case - we didn't book anything about a honeymoon until we got the FLR extension back.

M.

Opal
Newly Registered

Post by Opal » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:06 pm

Thank you for your reply. Our venues are nailed down with deposits so I am confident the wedding date won't get moved.

However, regarding getting an appointment at Croydon, we were planning to make the appoint about 4-6 weeks in advance. We're trying to manage all the details. Is it a problem to make the appointment in advance?

Thanks again.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:32 pm

It's just a question of finding the appointment ...

Just review the 'general immigration' forum for people asking 'how do I book an appointment - there are never any available!'.

M.

KJdancer
Newly Registered

Post by KJdancer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:56 pm

The appointments are VERY hard to get. Even if you are incredibly persistent it can still be without success.

I was one of the lucky ones who got an appointment after refreshing the window - literally probably 300 times - over the course of a few days. I did manage to get one, but it was "take what you can get" not that I got to choose a day/time/location that was convenient for me.

I would recommend having a large window to apply in person, being flexible on location, and not booking any travel until you have all your documents in hand. Unfortunately that may mean you have to apply by post if you cannot get an appointment before your visa expiry. You have to apply before that expires, there is no way around it and if you don't have an appointment, you'll have to apply by post (currently some applications are taking 9-10 months to process).

Also, based on my own experience, if you are changing your name, do this BEFORE your appointment/application, as it's taking 6 months just to get your passport/BRP back from the UKBA with your new name and you cannot travel during this time either.

Unfortunately having to deal with the UKBA takes the romantism out of marriage! We are not planning our honeymoon until later this calendar year to be sure I'll have my passport in hand.

As far as your list above, I think you have too much. Remember you need to send what they require, but not be excessive.

I believe you need the original birth certificate for the sponsor, not a certified copy if you are submitting a certified copy of the passport.

You only need 6 months of statements/payslips if your sponsor has had the same employer during this time.

For the evidence, other people have advised no more than about 12 pages of information.

You only need to show the communication with the registrar office. You do not need to have anything booked. You certainly do not need receipts for the deposits/rings/etc.

You submit the application online. At the end of the process you make your appointment for your biometrics. Once you have completed your biometrics, you pay for the priority service and mail the paper you receive back with all your supporting documents.

Depends on which country you are applying from for processing times. You should be able to check online and see the current processing times.

Good luck! You'll be fine, this is the most stressful thing you'll do to date.