ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 years long residence applications

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

English Language

Post by Damanisshallo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:30 pm

stoorrey wrote:Is English Test A1 level which is a requirement for FLR m is good for ILR? I mean if you have A1 Level certificate of Trinity do you need to pass another test to apply for ILR as dependant of settled person, 10 years long.
English Requirements wrote:1.3 An applicant can meet the requirement in one of the following ways
• by passing an acceptable test at a minimum level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) with an approved provider, or
Statutory Warning:Members are advised to make thorough inquiries before acting upon any description displayed on my behalf.
Skydrives, Templates

stoorrey

Re: English Language

Post by stoorrey » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:46 pm

Damanisshallo wrote:
stoorrey wrote:Is English Test A1 level which is a requirement for FLR m is good for ILR? I mean if you have A1 Level certificate of Trinity do you need to pass another test to apply for ILR as dependant of settled person, 10 years long.
English Requirements wrote:1.3 An applicant can meet the requirement in one of the following ways
• by passing an acceptable test at a minimum level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) with an approved provider, or

Thanks Damanisshallo.....
Actually it’s for my wife, she has A1 Level certificate from Trinity College....she is my dependant I will apply for her FLRm as soon as I get my ILR on 10 year basis. But as I read in this forum she will be eligible for ILR as soon as she gets her FLR because she is my PBS dependant for the last 4 years.
So my question is that once she get her FLRm using this A1 level certificate, can she use the same certificate for her ILR application or she needs some other test to pass and get another certificate.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Arulsan

Post by Arulsan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:53 pm

Arulsan wrote:Hi all,
I applied for my SET (O) on 27/12/12 and got the acknowledgement letter on 05/01/13 dated 31/12/12. I have a query in my wife’s FLR (M) that;
I have two children who were born in the UK and the first one has a dependent visa on my wife. My wife never been a dependent on me, instead I have been dependent on her (student dependent then PSW dependent). Due to this reason I am coming under new rule 9th July 2012, and have to show income to sponsor my wife. I am not going to apply for my children as they both were born here, but the confusion is still do I need to show the income threshold of £24800? Or is that just £18600 to my wife? Do I need to fill the section 4 on FLR(M) ?
Please help me to clear my confusion.
Damanisshallo wrote: Only 18600. Your children do not fall under immigration control.

Focus on the word in bold. You need to fill section 4 but only include your children if they are included otherwise just answer NO. To 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and proceed to section 5.

Quote:
In this section include any children under the age of 18 who are living with you in the UK and who are applying as your dependants.
Thank you Damanisshallo,
I think I do not need to fill the section 4 at all as the title say “Dependent Children Who Are Applying with You”. As this section is about dependent children who are applying, I can omit this section.
Also I cannot say no to question 4.1 (4.2, 4.3 are ok to say no) as we have two children and the first one already have a dependent visa and the second one is registered with birth registrar office. Also my wife's payslips has maternity payment details, so the home office know we already have two children, and may refuse the application for false information. Please advise me if I am thinking in wrong way.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:47 pm

stoorrey wrote:
Damanisshallo wrote:

Actually it’s for my wife, she has A1 Level certificate from Trinity College....she is my dependant I will apply for her FLRm as soon as I get my ILR on 10 year basis. But as I read in this forum she will be eligible for ILR as soon as she gets her FLR because she is my PBS dependant for the last 4 years.
So my question is that once she get her FLRm using this A1 level certificate, can she use the same certificate for her ILR application or she needs some other test to pass and get another certificate.
Life in the UK test will serve as her English qualification when she is filling her SET(M) form as the section 5.2 of SET(M) form indicates. Strangely LITUK test does not count for this purpose when filling FLR(M) form. But it is all you need for ILR applications using SET(M) as your dependant.

Here is the UKBA note about it on SET(M) form section 5.2;

"Note 1: Relevant qualifications are either:
• A pass in the test known as the “Life in the UK” test (aimed at those with English language ability at or above ESOL
Entry 3 Level – see Note 22a-j of the guidance notes which accompany this application form); or
• A relevant ESOL with citizenship qualification issued by an approved awarding body, undertaken at an accredited
college, and demonstrating that you have progressed at least one level, as described in Note 22l-m of the guidance
notes which accompany this application form.
If submitting a relevant ESOL qualification, you must also include a letter from your college containing the information specified
in Note 22m of the guidance notes which accompany this application form."

Please read section 5 of the SET(M) form for full English Language requirement.

Hyper-PK

[SKYDRIVE PATH]

Post by Hyper-PK » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:54 am

[SKYDRIVE PATH]

http://sdrv.ms/LpFy1N

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

stoorrey

Post by stoorrey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:46 am

Ged wrote:
stoorrey wrote:
Damanisshallo wrote:
Life in the UK test will serve as her English qualification when she is filling her SET(M) form as the section 5.2 of SET(M) form indicates. Strangely LITUK test does not count for this purpose when filling FLR(M) form. But it is all you need for ILR applications using SET(M) as your dependant.

• A pass in the test known as the “Life in the UK” test (aimed at those with English language ability at or above ESOL
Entry 3 Level – see Note 22a-j of the guidance notes which accompany this application form); or
• A relevant ESOL with citizenship qualification issued by an approved awarding body, undertaken at an accredited
college, and demonstrating that you have progressed at least one level, as described in Note 22l-m of the guidance
If submitting a relevant ESOL qualification, you must also include a letter from your college containing the information specified

Thanks Ged
But you know my wife doesn't have a Life In UK Test pass certificate which is a requirement for ILR and not for FLR. She has only A1 Certificate which i know is OK for FLR, but my question is that is this certificate will be OK for her ILR as well or not?

Ged

Post by Ged » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:54 am

stoorrey wrote:
Ged wrote:
stoorrey wrote:
Damanisshallo wrote:

Thanks Ged
But you know my wife doesn't have a Life In UK Test pass certificate which is a requirement for ILR and not for FLR. She has only A1 Certificate which i know is OK for FLR, but my question is that is this certificate will be OK for her ILR as well or not?
Sorry for not being able to clarify it sooner.
You will not use this A1 for ILR. You will only use the LITUK test result for her ILR. Your wife must take the LITUK test. There is no way out of it. For ILR applications a LITUK test result is monditory (unless she already has an ESOL certificate). And she also needed the A1 (or an equivalent) for FLR. So she will end up having them both but will use the A1 for FLR, and LITUK for ILR. That is all. These test are not interchangeable. It is good that she passed the A1. So you need to tell her to be ready for LITUK test, and get yourself ready for paying the fee for it :)

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Post by Damanisshallo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:08 am

stoorrey wrote:but my question is that is this certificate will be OK for her ILR as well or not?
Trinity College wrote:How long is my certificate valid for?
All Trinity certificates are valid for life as evidence of your achievement and performance in the exam.
Where certificates are used for immigration or settlement in the UK we have recommended to the UK Border Agency (UKBA) that, for security reasons, only certificates less than two years old should be accepted.
I hope that answers your query!
Statutory Warning:Members are advised to make thorough inquiries before acting upon any description displayed on my behalf.
Skydrives, Templates

Ged

Post by Ged » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:13 am

Damanisshallo wrote:
stoorrey wrote:but my question is that is this certificate will be OK for her ILR as well or not?
Trinity College wrote:How long is my certificate valid for?
All Trinity certificates are valid for life as evidence of your achievement and performance in the exam.
Where certificates are used for immigration or settlement in the UK we have recommended to the UK Border Agency (UKBA) that, for security reasons, only certificates less than two years old should be accepted.
I hope that answers your query!
Hi Damanisshallo,
Please note that for settlement, A1 test will not be useful, no matter how old the test is. A LITUK test will be required which is enough as evidence of English language skills as well.

SGP2103
Newly Registered

Post by SGP2103 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:22 am

Congrats Khall75! Very happy for you!

I'm glad things are moving again at the HO.

I'm one of the August applicants and can't wait for the first application in August to be completed/approved!

Funny thing is that 2 applications in September have already been approved. Pointless trying to find a logic..let's just put it down to a very keen caseworker!

Good luck everyone! Hopefully more good news from other applicants soon!

BobbyUKENG

Post by BobbyUKENG » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:41 am

SGP2103 wrote:Congrats Khall75! Very happy for you!

I'm glad things are moving again at the HO.

Funny thing is that 2 applications in September have already been approved.
Hi,

Applied In June and still waiting to hear from HO, not sure how HO is working on the applications.
I guess it depends upon the case worker as you said.

Thanks,
Bobby

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Post by Damanisshallo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:55 am

Knowledge of Life wrote:Partners and parents of a child in the UK applying for indefinite leave to remain after completing their five-year period of temporary residence will still need to fulfil the knowledge of life and language in the UK requirement. From October 2013 all applicants applying for indefinite leave to remain will need to pass the Knowledge of Life in the UK test and a B1 English language requirement.
You could be right, as at some places it does mentions either of them should do.
Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK wrote:Different arrangements exist for dependants, who can meet this requirement by either passing the Life in the UK test or by gaining an ESOL with Citizenship certificate from an approved Provider
Skydrives, Templates

Ged

Post by Ged » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:00 pm

Damanisshallo wrote:
Knowledge of Life wrote:Partners and parents of a child in the UK applying for indefinite leave to remain after completing their five-year period of temporary residence will still need to fulfil the knowledge of life and language in the UK requirement. From October 2013 all applicants applying for indefinite leave to remain will need to pass the Knowledge of Life in the UK test and a B1 English language requirement.
You could be right, as at some places it does mentions either of them should do.
Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK wrote:Different arrangements exist for dependants, who can meet this requirement by either passing the Life in the UK test or by gaining an ESOL with Citizenship certificate from an approved Provider
I think ESOL does not exist anymore. If you had it in the past, they still accept it. These days everyone applying for ILR must pass LITUK first. It also counts as evidence of English.

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi Ged and Dam

MY INPUT on ESOL and LIUkT

For FLRm you need English Test, fullstop.

For SET(m) you need LIUkT and English test after Oct 2013

Before Oct 2013. you can escape LIUkT by joining a college approved by UKBA and they will determine your level of English and then you have to go through their course and in the end they will again assess your level of English and you should progress atleast 1 level at the end of the course and they will certify it. I think that will serve the purpose.

I think this is what the quote from one of you guys (in your posts from UKBA -website) says.

I think the course name is English and Citizenship something

xxS

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Post by Damanisshallo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:17 pm

saanju9 wrote:you can escape LIUkT
LITUK is mandatory, one can never escape from it unless otherwise you are exempt. There is no such thing called a course for LITUK at any college.
WHO NEEDS TO TAKE THE TEST wrote:You should take the test if you are applying for naturalisation as a British citizen or indefinite leave to remain (settlement) and your level of English is ESOL Entry 3 or above (or, in Scotland, Intermediate Level 1 or above).
And I think the course you've mentioned only help you to improve your level of English and not the knowledge of life in UK
Skydrives, Templates

stoorrey

Post by stoorrey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Damanisshallo wrote:
LITUK is mandatory, one can never escape from it unless otherwise you are exempt. There is no such thing called a course for LITUK at any college.
Damanisshallo, Ged / Sanju

I think Sanju is right, last Monday my cousin had an appointment in Croydon for ILR and she has this certificate ''Skills for Life'' from Trinity College that she obtained a couple of months ago and her application for ILR was successful. so at the moment you can escape theLITUK when you have the other qualification but after October 13 its mandatory to have LITUK+ B1 level English qualification. In the SETm form also there are 2 option One is LITUK and the other is some other qualification. My original question was that my wife has an A1 certificate from Trinity College which is OK for FLR but i was just checking whether it will be OK for ILR because its also from Trinity College and almost the same level. About the LITUK, i am pretty sure that at the moment you can escape this.
Regards

Ged

Post by Ged » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:53 pm

stoorrey wrote:
Damanisshallo wrote:
Damanisshallo, Ged / Sanju

I think Sanju is right, last Monday my cousin had an appointment in Croydon for ILR and she has this certificate ''Skills for Life'' from Trinity College that she obtained a couple of months ago and her application for ILR was successful. so at the moment you can escape theLITUK when you have the other qualification but after October 13 its mandatory to have LITUK+ B1 level English qualification. In the SETm form also there are 2 option One is LITUK and the other is some other qualification. My original question was that my wife has an A1 certificate from Trinity College which is OK for FLR but i was just checking whether it will be OK for ILR because its also from Trinity College and almost the same level. About the LITUK, i am pretty sure that at the moment you can escape this.
Regards
Section 5 of SET(M) says this:
"To qualify for indefinite leave to remain, applicants aged 18-64 must show that they have a sufficient knowledge of
language and life in the UK. The separate guidance notes provide detailed information about this requirement."

I do not see how anyone can avoid LITUK test or ESOL when applying for ILR. There is no date restriction for this rule. It is current. I would appreciate if you correct me if I am wrong by directing me to the source of your information.
By the way "skills for life" is the same as ESOL.
Last edited by Ged on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeezee0

Post by zeezee0 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Dear All,

My ILR has been approved today Mashallah! Such great news..my timeline is as follows:

Application Sent:25/05/11
Biometrics approved:10/01/13
Awaiting Documents: Waiting
Wife's Dependent visa approval: Pending

Thank you all for this excellent forum, I will update my wife#s visa staus as she gets it approved IA!

All the best everyone..patience is a virtue!

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:03 pm

Damanisshallo wrote:

And I think the course you've mentioned only help you to improve your level of English and not the knowledge of life in UK

Dude.. I am very sorry for using the word "Escape".. I will learn my usage of words next time I write a post..
I meant to say "exempt"...

LIUkT can be "exempted" for people who has a English level below 3 or something (Again I am sorry for my wordings. please take the essence of the words)...and yes I think its called "skills for Life"(again I am not 100% with the name)..

Sorry folks I can't access UKBA website where I am at the moment but will go back home this evening if you want me to quote from their website

and Saanju9 goes away in a hurry!!!...

Ged

Post by Ged » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:11 pm

zeezee0 wrote:Dear All,

My ILR has been approved today Mashallah! Such great news..my timeline is as follows:

Application Sent:25/05/11
Biometrics approved:10/01/13
Awaiting Documents: Waiting
Wife's Dependent visa approval: Pending

Thank you all for this excellent forum, I will update my wife#s visa staus as she gets it approved IA!

All the best everyone..patience is a virtue!
Well done Zeezee0.
Did you receive your documents back today? What is the ILR stamp date?

zeezee0

Post by zeezee0 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Hello Ged,

My lawyer informed me I received my Biometrics today, I am yet to know when my ILR was stamped.

I will collect the ID tomorrow & update the forum accordingly.

Documents are yet to be received.

I am also awaiting my wifes visa,called the Home Office they said her application is still awaiting a decision.

Thank you All!

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:18 pm

Hello Ged,

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... 420091.pdf

this is the SET (m) guidance. (just accessed).

please read section 22 (b) and then 22(i) carry on till the end for further details.

It states that you have an alternative for LIUkT IF ure level of english is lower than entry level 3.

But this is an expensive / time consuming root and I would recommend only worst case scenarios

hope this helps.

Saanju[/u]

Ged

Post by Ged » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:28 pm

saanju9 wrote:Hello Ged,

please read section 22 (b) and then 22(i) carry on till the end for further details.

hope this helps.

Saanju
Thanks, but it says what I said. SET(M) requires LITUK test or ESOL. There is no other way.

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:35 pm

Ged wrote:
saanju9 wrote:Hello Ged,

hope this helps.

Saanju
Thanks, but it says what I said. SET(M) requires LITUK test or ESOL. There is no other way.

Yeah probably we have been saying the same thing. you have to take LIUK test or a course of ESOL (go to a accredited college .. pay the fee .. finish the course .. get accessed .. submit the certificate)..

its just that sometimes we don't read the whole post and over-confidently presume what the other person says and reply ... happens

either this or that... for sure.. I said I am not 100% with the names in my earlier post

For FLR(m) it is the English Language Test with speaking and listening at Level 1 if you don't have

You have an academic qualification recognised
by NARIC UK as equivalent to the standard of a
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK.
This must have been taught in English.

mer3090
Newly Registered

Post by mer3090 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:22 pm

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could help me with this issue:
Me and my wife have applied for long residency around mid June 2012 and we have been waiting since then. My wife is dependent on me, would this make the processing of the case longer?
Also I was wondering if I can now call up home office and ask them about the status of my application and if I do that do they give me any useful reply in terms of when I should expect to receive my documents?

Thank you guys.