ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation through marriage vs self naturalisation?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

insomniac

Naturalisation through marriage vs self naturalisation?

Post by insomniac » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:30 pm

Hello,

I read somewhere that naturalisation is the highest form of citizenship (i.e. higher than ancestry in terms of passing the citizenship on). Does this apply to both naturalisation through marriage and when one qualifies on one's own?

I am eligible to apply for citizenship through marriage and will be eligible to apply for citizenship on my own in six months. Is there any advantage in waiting?

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:34 pm

Naturalisation = citizenship! If you have children, they will have the same status as you if born in the UK.

Either option is the same, with the same certificate of naturalisation issued. Both options will make you British other than by descent.

The only difference is the residential qualify period and absences :

3 years as spouse of BC - max 270 days in qualifying period
5 years - max 450 days absence in qualifying period
max 90 days absence for both 3 and 5 years in the last 12 months before application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:08 pm

if you qualify through marriage route now, then, it's advantageous (from a cost perspective) to apply now instead of waiting for 6 month and apply though your own. UKBA normally increases application fees in April, so it's likely the application will cost you more in 6 months.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:20 pm

A lot of people can't wait & apply as soon as they are eligible. However, it's a personal choice.

LondonApplicant
France

Post by LondonApplicant » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:58 am

CR001 wrote:[...]

The only difference is the residential qualify period and absences :

3 years as spouse of BC - max 270 days in qualifying period
5 years - max 450 days absence in qualifying period
max 90 days absence for both 3 and 5 years in the last 12 months before application.
Actually, if the spouse of a British citizen happens to be an EEA citizen, then he/she must wait 5, not 3 years, to apply.