ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Experiences on Requesting Passports back from UKBA (EEA2)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:01 am

Plum70 wrote:Following my passport return request by letter (to Liverpool) on 6 December which has neither been acknowledged nor actioned till now, I will be making another request by email on Monday morning and want to clarify some details:

The request form says to include one's name and reference number in the subject line. What is the reference number? I have a case ID as quoted off my CoA - will this do?

Secondly, I will be requesting the return of all ID and supporting documents (husband's and mine). Has anyone successfully done this recently?

Lastly, I have included an instruction in the form for the UKBA to return my documents using the self addressed and prepaid SD envelope I provided with my application. Has anyone done this and had their wish followed?
Hey Plum70,

I'm sure you've probably seen my rather long posts regarding return of passports - but just in case you hadn't...I send a SD envelope with my application, and in my email requests for return of passports, I made mention of this. When my 3 emails went unanswered, I sent a letter by SD, and included another small SD satchel for them to use to return the passports. The passports arrived a few days after that (and after my MP became involved), and although by Special Delivery, it wasn't in either of my envelopes!!! Also, they had paid extra for Saturday Delivery, and Royal Mail failed to deliver on time, and I received it on the Monday morning!

As for requesting return of all documents, I haven't seen or heard of anyone else doing this. I would have thought in order to do that, they'd need to check/verify all documents - in which case they'd really be able to make a decision on your application.

Good luck!
EEA2 Application sent: 09/10/2012
Received by UKBA: 10/10/2012
COA received: 19/10/2012 (dated 17/10/2012)
Passports requested: 14/11/12, 28/11/12 & 12/12/12 (email) and 11/12/12 (mail)
Passports received: 17/12/2012
RC received: 14/02/2013

cuttingman23
Newly Registered
Brazil

Got lucky?

Post by cuttingman23 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:07 am

Filled in the form and sent it to both RODRequests@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
and LiverpoolEuro.PassportReturns@ukba.gsi.gov.uk on the 2nd Jan and got the passport on the 7th Jan with a letter dated 4th Jan. Am currently in the fourth mouth of waiting for card.
Last edited by cuttingman23 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flipper77

Re: Got lucky?

Post by flipper77 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:28 am

cuttingman23 wrote:Filled in the form and sent it to both RODRequests@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
and LiverpoolEuro.PassportReturns@ukba.gsi.gov.uk on the 2nd Feb and got the passport on the 7th Feb with a letter dated 4th Feb. Am currently in the fourth mouth of waiting for card.
cuttingman23 - do you mean January?

I think it all depends on which processing team happen to be in charge of an application - seems some just get on with it, and send the passport, where as others give the UKBA a bad name! Glad yours came through so quickly for you!

cuttingman23
Newly Registered
Brazil

Re: Got lucky?

Post by cuttingman23 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:54 pm

flipper77 wrote:
cuttingman23 wrote:Filled in the form and sent it to both RODRequests@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
and LiverpoolEuro.PassportReturns@ukba.gsi.gov.uk on the 2nd Feb and got the passport on the 7th Feb with a letter dated 4th Feb. Am currently in the fourth mouth of waiting for card.
cuttingman23 - do you mean January?

I think it all depends on which processing team happen to be in charge of an application - seems some just get on with it, and send the passport, where as others give the UKBA a bad name! Glad yours came through so quickly for you!
lol, yep meant jan.

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:15 pm

Wow, less than a week, I think that's a record! It seems that people are not having as many issues in the new year with passport requests. Maybe the offices were just understaffed because of the holidays, and for the same reason, had more requests for passports than usual?

I just sent off my application on Friday and am already DYING to get my passport back!!

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:45 pm

flipper77 wrote:Hey Plum70,

I'm sure you've probably seen my rather long posts regarding return of passports - but just in case you hadn't...I send a SD envelope with my application, and in my email requests for return of passports, I made mention of this. When my 3 emails went unanswered, I sent a letter by SD, and included another small SD satchel for them to use to return the passports. The passports arrived a few days after that (and after my MP became involved), and although by Special Delivery, it wasn't in either of my envelopes!!! Also, they had paid extra for Saturday Delivery, and Royal Mail failed to deliver on time, and I received it on the Monday morning!

As for requesting return of all documents, I haven't seen or heard of anyone else doing this. I would have thought in order to do that, they'd need to check/verify all documents - in which case they'd really be able to make a decision on your application.

Good luck!
Hi Flipper,

I did include a request (in capital letters!) that all docs be returned with the SD envelope provided with my application. In the form I listed very credible reasons why I (we) need and want all docs returned w/out withdrawing the application. If I am successful then others can be assured that it is possible.

I do not really mind if my application is left unresolved so long as they retain copies of all they need to make a decision and either request the return of my passport for stamping or issue confirmation of my PR status on a free standing ISD - I am beyond caring at this very moment!

I'll post updates as they come. Toes and eyelashes crossed. :wink:

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:20 am

Hey Plum -

I did the same thing, but only for my passports, not all docs! The HO just received my joint EEA1&EEA2 application yesterday, and we encloses two envelopes, one asking them to send the COA and passports back together, and the other for the RC's and remaining documents. I requested that our passports be returned with our COA in bold and underline on our cover page and table of contents. Then I put post-its on each of our passports and the envelope I wanted them to use to send it back with. I am operating under the assumption that they still will not do it without an email request after I get the COA, but I thought it was worth a try. Updates to come!

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:51 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:Hey Plum -I did the same thing, but only for my passports, not all docs!
Makes sense if that's all you require.

Yes, t look forward to how the UKBA deals with my request as my reasons are concrete and it has been a fair bit of time since applying (3 months).

Should find out soon enough.

fatefull

Post by fatefull » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:25 pm

E-mailed a request form and an actual e-mail to both e-mail addresses on 19th December. Nothing came. E-mailed again on 11 January.
Nothing...

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:06 pm

Received passports and most of my supporting documents today. From sending the request form it all took 5 days.

The UKBA used my SD envelope and also has requested that I do not return my passport until a case worker requests it.

I'll chase up the rest of my docs by telephone next week.

Good result!

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:12 pm

Great news, Plum70! I'm surprised they might ask for your passports back considering you've already gotten your COA, though.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:44 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:Great news, Plum70! I'm surprised they might ask for your passports back considering you've already gotten your COA, though.
Thanks Sofia!

I also have my doubts that they will, and expect to receive my PRC on a free standing ISD.

I am just pleased that in the interim we have most of the docs needed to get on with some of our plans.

renu

Post by renu » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:55 pm

I requested my husband's eea3 card on the 14 Jan and I received today by 2nd class.took a week. Still awaiting for my pr :(

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:47 pm

That's great, Renu!

I sent off my application a couple of weeks ago, it was accepted on January 11th. I still haven't gotten my COA, and I don't need my passports quite yet, but I'm DYING to book flights to Turin for March 2nd for a snowboarding reading week. Do you guys think it's trickier/takes longer to request your passports back without a COA?

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:56 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:Do you guys think it's trickier/takes longer to request your passports back without a COA?
I imagine that you will receive your CoA in the next few days/weeks.

When you request your passport back for your trip, leave enough time (at least 20 working days) and also specify how soon you need it returned. I'd suggest 1 week from requesting to put a bit of "pressure".

Despite March being quite close and how enticing your trip sounds, I wouldn't gamble by making any travel bookings until your CoA and passport are in your clutches.

Hope it works out and you have a sublime time.

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:40 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:That's great, Renu!

I sent off my application a couple of weeks ago, it was accepted on January 11th. I still haven't gotten my COA, and I don't need my passports quite yet, but I'm DYING to book flights to Turin for March 2nd for a snowboarding reading week. Do you guys think it's trickier/takes longer to request your passports back without a COA?
Hey sofia.d.c!

You must be a married woman by now? Congratulations - hope all went well! I can't imagine it makes too much difference whether you've got your COA or not - the form even allows for a Royal Mail Reference to be used. From what I've read on here (from months ago, when COAs were taking many months), the UKBA use the Special Delivery number as a reference.

After my horrendous experience, I'd recommend requesting your passports immediately. Hopefully you'll be luckier than some of us, receive within a few days - then you can book your holiday! (It might even prompt them to get the COA to you as well...)

rachellynn1972
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by rachellynn1972 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:24 pm

I will like to ask a question as i do not understand, please if you request your passport back without cancilling you application before a decision is made,
are you still cover under eu law?
and will the HO cancel your application because you request passport back?
if a decision is made without your passport, will HO still issue the visa?

please i need an answer to this if we have not made a mistake, we request my hobby passport back, but when talking to our solicitor, he said it will affect the application. is that right?
beloved is the belief that there are inherent differences in people's traits and capacities that are entirely due to their race, however defined, and that, as a consequence, justify the different treatment of those people, both socially and legally.

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:39 pm

rachellynn1972 wrote:I will like to ask a question as i do not understand, please if you request your passport back without cancilling you application before a decision is made,

please i need an answer to this if we have not made a mistake, we request my hobby passport back, but when talking to our solicitor, he said it will affect the application. is that right?
Please have a look at the EEA FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting thread http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=114867

rachellynn1972
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by rachellynn1972 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:45 pm

flipper77 wrote:
rachellynn1972 wrote:I will like to ask a question as i do not understand, please if you request your passport back without cancilling you application before a decision is made,

Please have a look at the EEA FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting thread http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=114867
i have read, that was cool, i dont know why the solicitor try to scare uu.
beloved is the belief that there are inherent differences in people's traits and capacities that are entirely due to their race, however defined, and that, as a consequence, justify the different treatment of those people, both socially and legally.

rachellynn1972
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by rachellynn1972 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:03 pm

one more question please, after requesting your passport back, atr thr HO still oblidge by law to consiider your case within 6months?

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Hey Flipper!

Yes, I am a married woman now, thanks for remembering!! My partner is convinced we should wait for the COA though I am of your train of thought and just want the passports back right here right now! I think as a compromise, we will wait for one more week to see if the COA arrives, and if it does not, then I will submit a request quoting the special delivery number, of which I was not aware that I could do.

The only thing that I'm kind of kicking myself about right now, is that I put requests and post-its EVERYWHERE on my application asking if they could send back the passports with the COA. I'm wondering now if the result is that the COA is taking much longer to process? Although on the EEA2 guidelines thread it seems that COA's are taking much more time to process than they did back in October, when they magically only took days to process and receive in the mail. Anyhow, chances are I would be happiest if I just quit being such a control freak and rolled with the punches, though that does seem easier said than done!! Especially when I keep seeing my desired flights increase in price... a couple of weeks ago they were £60 less for each of us. My partner's argument is that it would cost us a lot more to bite the tickets entirely and not be able to execute the travel plans we've already paid for, so that is entirely rational. I'm just impatient.

And Rachellynn, YES, they still must process your application within 6 months, whether or not you request your passports back. To do otherwise would be to infringe on you exercising your treaty rights and would be against EC law.

rachellynn1972
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by rachellynn1972 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:18 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:Hey Flipper!

Yes, I am a married woman now, thanks for remembering!! My partner is convinced we should wait for the COA though I am of your train of thought and just want the passports back right here right now! I think as a compromise, we will wait for one more week to see if the COA arrives, and if it does not, then I will submit a request quoting the special delivery number, of which I was not aware that I could do.

The only thing that I'm kind of kicking myself about right now, is that I put requests and post-its EVERYWHERE on my application asking if they could send back the passports with the COA. I'm wondering now if the result is that the COA is taking much longer to process? Although on the EEA2 guidelines thread it seems that COA's are taking much more time to process than they did back in October, when they magically only took days to process and receive in the mail. Anyhow, chances are I would be happiest if I just quit being such a control freak and rolled with the punches, though that does seem easier said than done!! Especially when I keep seeing my desired flights increase in price... a couple of weeks ago they were £60 less for each of us. My partner's argument is that it would cost us a lot more to bite the tickets entirely and not be able to execute the travel plans we've already paid for, so that is entirely rational. I'm just impatient.

And Rachellynn, YES, they still must process your application within 6 months, whether or not you request your passports back. To do otherwise would be to infringe on you exercising your treaty rights and would be against EC law.
thanks, but it is very bad for HO to beleive that after appeal won, you need to wait another six months.

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:32 pm

Okay I did it, I just requested our passports back! Hopefully they arrive soon!!

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:57 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:Okay I did it, I just requested our passports back! Hopefully they arrive soon!!
What about waiting a week as a compromise? Just kidding - I'm the same, impatient and like to be in control. I'm crossing my fingers for you - I hope they act on your request immediately (and throw in a COA as a bonus!!!).

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:01 pm

@Flipper - haha yeah... that whole waiting one more week didn't work out. I blame you for encouraging me!!