ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

applying for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shobapaireddy

applying for naturalisation

Post by shobapaireddy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:17 pm

Hi

I got my ILR last year in Mar/Apr and will complete a year soon. Can i know when i can apply for my naturalisation and british pp?

Also my husband is on an independent visa (Tier 1). Hes been living in the country for the past 9 years. After i get my british pp what are his options of applying for his naturalisation or dependency through my citizenship.

Thank you

S

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi,
You can apply for naturalisation exactly 12 months after you have received ILR and provided you meet all the requirements. You can applyl for a British Passport only once you have been approved for citizenship and attended the citizenship ceremony to take the oath/pledge and receive your certificate.

Your husband will be better off applying for ILR when he qualifies as he has been resident for 9 years already, either under 10 years long residence or after 5 years residence on Tier 1 etc and cheaper than switching to FLR(M) spouse visa. Once he has ILR approved, he can then apply immediately for naturalisation based on marriage to a BC spouse and will not have to hold ILR for 12 months, provided your naturalisation application is approved.

Hope this helps.

Char
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shobapaireddy

Post by shobapaireddy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Thank you Char.