ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Provisional Driving Licence with EEA FP?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

frankie36
Ireland

Provisional Driving Licence with EEA FP?

Post by frankie36 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:23 pm

Dear Gurus,

I was just wondering whether my non-EEA spouse who is on an EEA FP at present would be entitled to apply for a provisional drivers licence? We are trying to come up with a solution to him not having any photo ID while his passport is sent off with his RC application. I have looked up the criteria for applying for a driver's licence and it states that you must be resident in the UK but does not go into specifics beyond that. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Frankie

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:27 pm

Possible although for many purposes (banks for example) only full driving licence (not provisional) is considered acceptable for ID purposes.

smalldog
Ireland

Post by smalldog » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:00 pm

My wife had no problems applying for a provisional licence as soon as she arrived in the UK on an EEA FP. This was back in 2006 but I don't think anything has changed. It's worth taking the test and getting the full licence as soon as possible.

jrge

Re: Provisional Driving Licence with EEA FP?

Post by jrge » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:42 pm

Hi,
frankie36 wrote:Dear Gurus,

I was just wondering whether my non-EEA spouse who is on an EEA FP at present would be entitled to apply for a provisional drivers licence? We are trying to come up with a solution to him not having any photo ID while his passport is sent off with his RC application. I have looked up the criteria for applying for a driver's licence and it states that you must be resident in the UK but does not go into specifics beyond that. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Frankie
Have you considered getting a Certified Copy of the bio page of his passport? One of my friends has done that and made regular/color copies of every document that was sent and, keeps everything in a file. It worked for opening a Bank Account and to register with an employment agency.
Life is short, so let's get moving!
* Passport received: Family Permit approved AUG-22, 2011
* Landed in the UK: DEC-04TH-2011
* Received RC: MAR-21ST-2012
* Back to North-America Jul 2012

el patron
Member of Standing

Post by el patron » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:36 pm

Obtaining a UK Citizencard is another option

frankie36
Ireland

Post by frankie36 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:59 pm

Thanks for all the useful information and suggestions. I tried to apply online for the provisional driver's licence for my husband but one of the stipulations was that he has been resident here for a minimum of 185 days, which he hasn't :( . I will definitely get certified copies of his passport and will look into the UK Citizen card.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:27 pm

@frankie36
Does your non-eea spouse has its national identity card. In this case the situation can be easier as it should be accepted as picture id.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:15 pm

frankie36 wrote:We are trying to come up with a solution to him not having any photo ID while his passport is sent off with his RC application.
In the RC application, you should request the immediate return of the passports and supporting documents. Then he will only be missing the passport for a few weeks.

Gledow
Newly Registered

Post by Gledow » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:35 am

My wife has been here just over a month on a EEA FP and received her provisional driving license this week. She didn't apply online, she used the paper application form that you can get from the post office. Nothing in there, from what I saw, about being resident for 185 days. She did send off her passport with the application though, which your husband doesn't have. It says on the form what forms of ID must be sent in but for non-UK citizens, I'm not sure if anything other than passport is acceptable, but I cant quite remember. You could always pick up a form and check.

frankie36
Ireland

Post by frankie36 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:57 am

Thanks Gledow. Can you tell me how long it took from when your wife sent her driver's licence application to when she received it? We haven't sent our RC application yet so we still have passport but hoping to send it in the next couple of weeks. It would be great if we could get the driver's licence before we do![/quote]

frankie36
Ireland

Post by frankie36 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:02 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
frankie36 wrote:We are trying to come up with a solution to him not having any photo ID while his passport is sent off with his RC application.
In the RC application, you should request the immediate return of the passports and supporting documents. Then he will only be missing the passport for a few weeks.
Thanks Guru. Just wondering what the implications of requesting the passports back? Do we then need to send it in again for the RC to be inserted? Does this slow up the application? We are hoping to travel in August so hoping to have the passport the RC back by then and don't want anything to slow up the process.

Frankie

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:57 pm

frankie36 wrote: Thanks Guru. Just wondering what the implications of requesting the passports back? Do we then need to send it in again for the RC to be inserted? Does this slow up the application? We are hoping to travel in August so hoping to have the passport the RC back by then and don't want anything to slow up the process.

Frankie
See Q4 in EEA FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting - Residence Card.

frankie36
Ireland

Post by frankie36 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Jambo wrote:
frankie36 wrote: Thanks Guru. Just wondering what the implications of requesting the passports back? Do we then need to send it in again for the RC to be inserted? Does this slow up the application? We are hoping to travel in August so hoping to have the passport the RC back by then and don't want anything to slow up the process.

Frankie
See Q4 in EEA FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting - Residence Card.
Thanks Jambo. That is great news for us!

Gledow
Newly Registered

Post by Gledow » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:08 pm

It took around 7-10 days