ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New List of Appoved English Language Tests

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Techstar
Newly Registered

New List of Appoved English Language Tests

Post by Techstar » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:22 pm

My wifes settlement visa application to UK was refused on the grounds that she did not meet the English requirement rules. However, I am sure that she did meet the rules at the time - rules which have now been DELETED/UPDATED from the UKBA website. Can you help me find the old rules or know someone who can help? Please read on, very much obliged....

As we all know the UKBA keep updating the English Requirment Levels and Rules which are to be currently found on:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf

According to the above link the rules were last updated on 13th Dec 2012. All previous rules, which were different to this, have been DELETED from the UKBA website.

Does anyone by chance have the document 'List of approved English language tests' OR 'new list of approved English tests' for JULY 2012?

You would have saved this document at that time. I contacted the Home Office who said that once rules are deleted from the website then they are gone and that I would just have to request in appeal that they check old rules. The appeal has been sent in UK for oral hearing and I would like to present a copy of the rules in July 2012 to strengthen my case.

So please remember to PRINT and save website address and rules for all applicants in this situation. Afterwards the rules change and you cannot prove nothing!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your comments and help.

W

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:19 pm

i take it you are talking about FLR(M) for you wife.

In that case, she had to have A1 Spouse Test passed or a relevant degree to prove that. Can you confirm she did so ?

Techstar
Newly Registered

Post by Techstar » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Hi, Yes you are correct. She required to have an A1 Spouse Test passed or relevant degree.

Even now when you click on the link I pasted, you are given a guide as to all the different types of tests you can sit to reach A1 level.

She choose the IETS and passed with:
Listening 4.0;
Reading 3.5;
Writing 3.5;

Overall Band Score 3.5.

At the time this was accepted as A1 Level as advertised by UKBA Website. Today they require 4.0 minimal for each item to consider A1 Level.

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:45 pm

thats strange. They should be considering the application on the basis of old rules as it was submitted then. Is that the reason of the rejection.

I chose to take my wife through A1 Spouse Test which was very basic. The certification just gives the band A1 on it with nothing else on it.

I will try to find the old PDF of english test centres in my backup and will post back with info

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:50 pm

lucky you.

PM me your email address and I will email you the old PDF to see if thats what you are after

but looking at the document, candidates showing IELTS have to have 4.0 in all parts of the test

the document I have is dated 24 Jan 2012

Techstar
Newly Registered

Post by Techstar » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:48 pm

Very Interesting Indeed!

I look forward to receving the document. Thank so much for your help.

Did you get my email address? Thanks.

W

one2ka4

Post by one2ka4 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Hi, Techstar, could you tell us what she got in speaking?? because when I asked the info from them, for settlement they only look at two scores speaking and listening, and it has to be 4 or more. Hope that helps..

Techstar
Newly Registered

Post by Techstar » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:44 am

Dear Sir.

Thank you so much for your email which contained the document I required!

I can now see that as per your advice, the fault appears to be at my end. Yes - the list of English Language Tests dated 24th Jan 12 provided by UKBA does show that IELTS test required scores of 4.0 in each subject (Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking).

On the basis of this I can now plan more strategically for my oral hearing where I shall be prepared for what the UKBA's shall say. I will now focus on ensuring my wife passes IELTS at 4.0, prior to the oral hearing where I shall seek the court and UKBA's good nature and ask them to consider that she certainly meets the required English level now.

I filled the appeal online which cost £140 for the oral hearing. At the end it gave me a printed sheet with a reference number which I am to send with any further proof. Over the next few weeks I shall send in the wifes pass at 4.0 (she is currently in process of sitting IELTS exam in next few days).

Will keep you posted as to the result....

I take the opportunity to say a Big Thank You for your swift and knowledgable assitance.

Best Regards

W

Techstar
Newly Registered

Post by Techstar » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:53 am

" Hi, Techstar, could you tell us what she got in speaking?? because when I asked the info from them, for settlement they only look at two scores speaking and listening, and it has to be 4 or more. Hope that helps.."

Hi, yes sorry I did not write this earlier but she received a 3.5 in speaking.

I beleive you are absolutely correct in what you say because in the refusal letter they have only flagged up speaking at 3.5 as the problem!

" The Decision

You have not demonstrated that you have sufficient knowledge of the English language and life in the United Kingdom. You have submitted an IELTS certificate in your name showing a score of 3.5 for speaking. This is below the minimum score of 4.0 for speaking that is required under UKBA policy and published guidelines for the purposes of a settlement application. Therefore I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of paragraph 281 (i)(b)(ii) of HC395.

I have therfore refused your application because I am not satisfied, on the balance of probabilities that you meet all the requirements of the relevant Paragraph of th Untied Kingdom Immigration Rules.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Right of appeal

blah blah blah "

Thanks

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:39 am

at least you know where you stand. get the IELTS done straight away.

SAMISPOUSAL
India

ENG TEST...VERY IMPORTANT

Post by SAMISPOUSAL » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:45 pm

you are saying that for spousal.
.............they will only look at speaking and listening ...

ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE ABOUT THAT?

are you implying that you dont have to take reading and writing ?
are you implying that R and W are totally ignored ?
do i undersatnd correctly that you HAVE TO TAKE all 4..tests ..compulsory...
and the overall score of A1 band ( at least 4.0 min ) is made up of ALL the module marks ?
so what happens if you are completely hopeless , zero at R and W but achieve 4.0 in S AND 4.0 IN L ....SURELY YOUR OVERALL score in that case would be about 2.0 ? so do you fail ?

PLEASE REPLY
British man sponsoring Indian wife.Application Pune --Mumbai 18 DEC 2013 Requested further info 27 01 2014

Techstar
Newly Registered

Post by Techstar » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:52 am

In my view and an extended explanation for the benefit of future readers;

The current rules around English Tests required for entry clearance visa, provided by the UKBA in the following downloadable pdf file are very clear.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf

These rules say a spouse or partner in any NON MAJOR ENGLISH SPEAKING overseas country (such as Pakistan or India), who wish to enter UK to join their partner, must pass ANY one test in the entire document. Just pick a test and pass the minimum grade shown.

These tests listed may or may not be available in your country and therefore you will be forced to choose a test that is available, such as IELTS (as my spouse did in Pakistan).

In the IELTS system listed on page 15 of the above link, you will see that as of 13th December 12 being the last update by UKBA, the grading system is;

B1
Listening – 4.0
Speaking – 4.0
Reading – 4.0
Writing – 4.0

B2
Listening – 5.5
Speaking – 5.5
Reading – 5.5
Writing – 5.5

C1
Listening – 7.0
Speaking – 7.0
Reading – 7.0
Writing – 7.0

C2
Listening – 8.5
Speaking – 8.5
Reading – 8.5
Writing - 8.5

This means that you must achieve a B1 with 4.0 in each subject to qualify for Visa Approval.

NOW IN REALITY and despite the above written rule, I believe many people are presently experiencing the UKBA only showing a requirement for 4.0 scores in Speaking and Listening. I have also experienced this as my spouse rejection letter only objected to her 3.5 in speaking and did not raise an issue with her other two 3.5 scores (W+R). (She applied in Jun 12)

" The Decision

You have not demonstrated that you have sufficient knowledge of the English language and life in the United Kingdom. You have submitted an IELTS certificate in your name showing a score of 3.5 for speaking. This is below the minimum score of 4.0 for speaking that is required under UKBA policy and published guidelines for the purposes of a settlement application. Therefore I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of paragraph 281 (i)(b)(ii) of HC395.

I have therfore refused your application because I am not satisfied, on the balance of probabilities that you meet all the requirements of the relevant Paragraph of th Untied Kingdom Immigration Rules.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Right of appeal

blah blah blah "

HOWEVER i would strictly advise to achieve 4.0 across all subjects in IELTS to be sure. NO RISK.

ANOTHER VERY IMPORTANT POINT FOR ALL AND SAMISPOUSAL MENTION OF A1 BAND:

In previous UKBA websites they described that your English Test must achieve Level A1 of CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference).

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

They have now in today’s website (16th Jan 12) dropped the use of the aforementioned wording and especially the 'A1' word because it was confusing people as the list of tests provided also had individual banding and grading which used A1, A2, B1 B2 etc.

So Samispousal you mention 'and the overall score of A1 band'. To be clear there is no A1 band in the IELTS test system. The lowest level of band is B1 which meets the acceptance criteria of UKBA. P.S. If you achieve 3.5 or 3.0 (or lower) in IELTS you cannot say this is equivalent to A1 or A2!!

If you want to talk about A1 or A2, pick any other test available in the pdf document where A1 A2 banding system is present. Then you can talk about A1 or A2. If you are talking about A1 band in the context of meeting Level A1 of CEFR then that is fine.

FINALY SOME PEOPLE FIND THAT IELTS CAN BE EQUIVALENT OF B1 FROM A 3.5 SCORE AS PER FOLLOWING LINK;

http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/media/Compare- ... d-CEFR.pdf

The UKBA decide which scores in IELTS are equivalent to which Levels. Today they say that a B1 is equivalent to 4.0 in four subjects. Tomorrow they could decide that a B1 is 5.0. We must go by their guide and not guides of 3rd party as link shown above.

Samispousal, now a simple and direct response to your question; In reality, for IELTS, till today the UKBA appear to only concentrate on Speaking and Listening BUT their written rule say clear you need 4.0 in all subjects. So any time they can hold you to the written rule and if you say 'but others say or experience' then they will not care about it and you will loose your application fee.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck to all you dreamers and hopers out there!