ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC from ILR - Earning Requirements

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

aneel_07

BC from ILR - Earning Requirements

Post by aneel_07 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi

BC Requirement

Is there any earning threshold requirement to get BC from ILR? Can someone apply on zero income?

Also do we need show any taxes information if one is a self employed or MD of a Ltd company?

Thanks!

BigSam

Re: BC from ILR - Earning Requirements

Post by BigSam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:26 pm

aneel_07 wrote:Hi

BC Requirement

Is there any earning threshold requirement to get BC from ILR? Can someone apply on zero income?

Also do we need show any taxes information if one is a self employed or MD of a Ltd company?

Thanks!
Hello

There is no earning threshold for get citizinship. The requirement is that your tax affairs are in order though. If you are self employed or a director of a limited company, you will need your self assessment

Good luck
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it...

aspirant09

Post by aspirant09 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:03 pm

what if you are a salaried employees and have a HMRC letter saying you have underpaid the tax and the same will be dedcuted from your salary in future year? I guess that should be ok?

thanks
:-)

skymoon

Post by skymoon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:30 pm

You should call HMRC and paid your underpaid tax on phone. HO will check your tax record and if they found you didn't paid tax then it may affect your BC application. Good luck.

aspirant09

Post by aspirant09 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:31 pm

thanks skymoon. are you sure that the two are linked? HMRC letter says they will collect the tax in the next financial year ( monthly). is that not sufficient?

thanks

aspirant09

Post by aspirant09 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:32 pm

also, even if these two are related, and i use NCS would they not tell me then?

skymoon

Post by skymoon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:02 pm

aspirant09 wrote:also, even if these two are related, and i use NCS would they not tell me then?
I received same letter and they said will deduct tax next financial year but i give them call and paid on the phone. It is a good to be on safe side and there should be no balance due for tax. If you want your applicarion approval witout any delay you should pay your tax full. NCS is not allowed to give any advice, it is your responsibility to check if you meet all requirements. Good luck.

jagait

Post by jagait » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:16 pm

The only two benefits of NCS is a four eye check and that you get to keep your passport. a bit steep at 50 quid for that tho.

Scan
Newly Registered

Post by Scan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:46 pm

I am in the same situation, I underpaid my taxes and chose the option to get it deducted through my PAYEE Code in the next 12 months.

I just went on-line to pay the full amount after reading this topic and my tax return says "You have nothing to pay".

Literally says:

Tax year ending 05 Apr 2012.

Tax GBP xxxx
Less other adjustments (GBP xxxx)
Balance GBP 0

If I click on other adjustments, it opens a window that says the balance payment has been included in the tax code for 2014.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:10 pm

For salaried applicant's with only PAYE tax arrangements, there is no need to clear outstanding taxes (if HMRC have confirmed to adjust it in next years code). Well, if one chooses to do so, that's fine, but entirely discretional and not a requirement. Tax overpayment or underpayments are adjusted through PAYE codes.

The key criterion for BC application is to ensure that the tax affairs are in order. This doesn't mean zero tax but an agreed tax arrangement with HMRC - for salaried people, this is done by means of PAYE.

BigSam

Post by BigSam » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:37 am

Just to reiterate what ban.s said, below is an extract from the Guidance Notes:

"8.5.4 When an applicant has tax arrears, and HM Revenue & Customs has made arrangements for these to be cleared, or the applicant is in dispute over the amount of taxes, caseworkers may grant the application without awaiting the full payment of the arrears or the outcome of the dispute provided that dishonest behaviour is not suspected."
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it...