ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Second extension of Tier 2

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

anjelala
Newly Registered

Second extension of Tier 2

Post by anjelala » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:10 pm

I am on a Tier 2 visa, applied for in January 2009.
I entered the UK in March 2009.

I renewed my Tier 2 (extension) in January 2012 just prior to its expiry. I did this from inside the UK.
This extension is due to expire in February 2014, just prior to my 5 years in the UK.

I assume I will have to apply for a second extension of my Tier 2, for the extra month, however I was informed by a (non Border Agency) legal advisor that I would have to leave the country to apply for my second extension.
I have looked through the Border Agency's website and can't find any reference to this - from the information on the website it looks like any extensions on the same visa are dealt with in the same way (i.e I can do it in country).

(Or any ideas for avoiding having to apply for such a short extension? My intention is to apply for ILR in March 2014).

Thanks in advance!

Basharat81

Post by Basharat81 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:31 pm

You will have Discretionary period of 3 month, no need to apply for extension, should apply for ILR

anjelala
Newly Registered

Post by anjelala » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:35 pm

Thanks. In what guidance / rule is the 3 months stated?

faisa_mahjoor
Newly Registered

Re: Second extension of Tier 2

Post by faisa_mahjoor » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:18 pm

anjelala wrote:I am on a Tier 2 visa, applied for in January 2009.
I entered the UK in March 2009.

I renewed my Tier 2 (extension) in January 2012 just prior to its expiry. I did this from inside the UK.
This extension is due to expire in February 2014, just prior to my 5 years in the UK.

I assume I will have to apply for a second extension of my Tier 2, for the extra month, however I was informed by a (non Border Agency) legal advisor that I would have to leave the country to apply for my second extension.
I have looked through the Border Agency's website and can't find any reference to this - from the information on the website it looks like any extensions on the same visa are dealt with in the same way (i.e I can do it in country).

(Or any ideas for avoiding having to apply for such a short extension? My intention is to apply for ILR in March 2014).

Thanks in advance!
I think you can apply for as many extensions without leaving the country. The new rule (cooling off period)applies to those applying after April 2016.