ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long in advance can you submit a visa renewal/extension?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

anjelala
Newly Registered

How long in advance can you submit a visa renewal/extension?

Post by anjelala » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:21 pm

I assume that you can't submit a renewal/extension a certain time before your current leave to remain ends, but I can't find it on the Border Agency's website.

Any ideas?

I've got 12 months left, but I want to apply for a mortgage and think that lenders will be unwilling to lend to someone with so short time left on their visa. Hence, why I want to renew my visa now.

Thanks!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:26 pm

You can submit a new application at any time. You certainly do not have to wait for the current leave to come to an end.

anjelala
Newly Registered

Post by anjelala » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:32 pm

They're not going to be suspicious about why I want an extension so far in advance?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:35 pm

Well, suspicion is generally directed at the perpetrator of some wrongdoing, so the concept would not be applicable to this situation. You can apply as much and as often as you wish. The only problem will be that you won't get your unexpired leave added to your new leave, so if ILR after five years of residence is your objective, you may have to make yet more applications to reach that goal.

alanwong

Re: How long in advance can you submit a visa renewal/extens

Post by alanwong » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:00 am

anjelala wrote:I assume that you can't submit a renewal/extension a certain time before your current leave to remain ends, but I can't find it on the Border Agency's website.

Any ideas?

I've got 12 months left, but I want to apply for a mortgage and think that lenders will be unwilling to lend to someone with so short time left on their visa. Hence, why I want to renew my visa now.

Thanks!
I have the impression that one can not apply three months before the expiry date if you want to extend.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:55 am

The only restrictions with regard to three months are:

You must apply within three months from the date your Certificate of Sponsorship was assigned. You must also apply no more than three months before the start date on your Certificate of Sponsorship.

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:12 pm

If your current stay expires in 12 months they will generally reject any application made more than 6 weeks (technically it's a month but they generally accept apps 6 weeks in advance of expiry).

If you apply now you face probable rejection. Likewise if you wait until your leave expires you will be an overstayer and could be refused on that.

phoenix3123

with in 3 months

Post by phoenix3123 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:51 pm

I applied 2 months before my leave expires. applied on 28th Nov 2012 (PEO) , my visa is due to expire on the 28th January 2013.

once the COS is issued you can apply any time within the 3 months from the issue date of COS

I got the extension for 3 years

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:45 am

If you apply too early for an extension you could be refused, furthermore if you're not refused you could end up with less than 5 years total (2 years plus 3 years issued 6 months before the end of the first 2 years equals 4.5 years, hence no ILR qualification at the end.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:49 am

The Station Agent wrote:If you apply too early for an extension you could be refused
Why do you insist on making this statement? People apply all early all the time for various reasons and there are no restrictions on this. The main reason people do this is to have sufficient leave to gain access to financial products (mortgages, etc.)

anjelala
Newly Registered

Post by anjelala » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:36 pm

[quote="Lucapooka"] The main reason people do this is to have sufficient leave to gain access to financial products (mortgages, etc.)[/quote]

Yes! That is exactly why I want it. To get a mortgage.

I only have 11 months left on Tier 2, with 12 months to go to get ILR. Hence why I have to go for a renewal.
If i can't apply for my visa early then I am stuck waiting to get a mortgage until my visa has almost expired.

Is it unreasonable to be annoyed that I am an honest, tax paying resident, who wants to buy a house and I can't because of these stupid immigration rules... !!!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:47 pm

You can!