ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation - Change in Surname (maiden to marriage)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

harika_85
Newly Registered

Naturalisation - Change in Surname (maiden to marriage)

Post by harika_85 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:19 pm

Dear,

I am here in UK since May 2007, and I got my ILR in Jan 2012 as a Tier 1 dependent. We're applying for naturalisation this year (my husband, myself and my daughter - born in India).

If I want to get my surname changed from maiden name to my husband's surname now, do I need to do that in the Naturalisation application or while/after applying for passport?

I have my bank account, passport, employment i.e. everything in my maiden surname.

Please advise.

Thanks
Harika

asim72
BANNED

Post by asim72 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Naturalisation is a different story and whatever name you chose/change for yourselves is a different story.

You can either change your name now, and then apply for naturalisation in your new name, and you can naturalise in your current name and later on change your name. Its your decision, not UKBA's.

harika_85
Newly Registered

Post by harika_85 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:14 pm

Instead of complicating things at the time of Naturalisation, I planned to do this:

Proceed with maiden name for Naturalisation, and later at the time passport application, I intend to apply for a deedpoll (which I reckon is a simple online process & wouldn't cost more than 10£ ). I would thus produce my marriage certificate and deedpoll certificate to have my husband's surname on my passport.

Please correct me if the procedure has any issues.