ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR eligible if I got spouse visa August '11?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gnpg

ILR eligible if I got spouse visa August '11?

Post by gnpg » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:33 pm

Hello

I've been reading through the first few pages of this forum and a lot of it has to do with families & dependents with shorter residence time.

I've been living in the UK since '07 on student visa, then PSW, married since june '11 & had residence permit as spouse since august '11.

I thought I had to fulfill 5 years on spouse visa before I was eligible for ILR but on the Border Agency website it says anything issued before July '12 goes by the "old rules".

Does that mean I can apply for the ILR now that I'm coming up to my 2nd year on the spouse visa?

Might be a simple question but the website is SO long-winded! I was also going to look sending off everything by June (visa expires on 26 August '13), but then I wouldn't have 24 months' worth of paperwork, do I have to wait till July?

Thank you in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:40 pm

You can apply for ILR up to 28 days before you current visa expires, which is anytime from 30th July - June is far too early and yes, you will have to wait till you get to this 28 day before expiry window.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gnpg

but I can go for ILR?

Post by gnpg » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:43 pm

CR001 wrote:You can apply for ILR up to 28 days before you current visa expires, which is anytime from 30th July - June is far too early and yes, you will have to wait till you get to this 28 day before expiry window.
Thank you for such a swift reply!

So I am eligible for the ILR rather than extending my spouse visa for another 3 years?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:45 pm

Yes, because you applied before July 2012 and therefore you fall under the old rules, which is 2 years residence and as long as you meet all the other standard requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.