ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Self-employed since May'12

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

imads
Newly Registered

Self-employed since May'12

Post by imads » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi,

I am eligible to apply for Naturalization now. I started by reading the AN Guide and Booklet and got a bit stuck filling few sections of the AN form. Please advise how to proceed with the below:

1. For the past 6 years I have been living at the same address. Initially this accommodation was a bachelors pad and they had many students among them who had the council tax exempted on this address since before I arrived. But I took over the residence in Aug 2009 and have been paying the council tax since. My question is whether will there be any implications of not paying the council tax in my first two and half year at this residence?

2. I was employed in a full-time position (permanent) until April'12 and since May'12 I am self-employed (Director of my own Limited Company). I have been taking salary as a director and dividends as well. While the PAYE tax liability is paid up-to-date, the corporation tax is not due until April'13. My questions are:
A. What proof should I give for self assessment (which am not due yet)
B. I did not know that I was liable to pay Class 2 NI, do I have to pay this now before applying for naturalization?
C. Do I have to show my full-time employment documents (P45 and salary slips) for period before April'12? If yes, for what period?
D. In the Tax Office Address or Tax Office Reference field, which reference number do I need to provide? PAYE tax reference number?
E. What option should I select Self-Employed or Director?

Apologies if I sound daft. But I haven't been able to figure out anything from the guide AN or booklet re this. Please help me out.

Thanks a lot
Imad S

BigSam

Re: Self-employed since May'12

Post by BigSam » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:55 am

Hello,

I am not going to answer all your questions, but below is an extract from the Guidance Notes which should help you establish whether this is applicable to you in the first place:

"8.5.1 Caseworkers should request the latest Self-Assessment Statement of Account from applicants who only just satisfy the minimum residence requirements of three or five years and who qualified for entry previously as:
a. A person of independent means (POIM) up until 27 November 2008 when this route was abolished.
b. Sole representatives
c. Before 30 June 2008 through self-employment routes, namely:
i. Highly Skilled Migrant Programme
ii. Investors
iii. Entrepreneurs
iv. Through Graduate or Fresh Talent Schemes.
d. After 30 June 2008 - Tier 1 of the Points Based System from 30 June 2008.
"

Personally, I think you only need to mention on your form that you are not due your first self assessment yet. But if anyone knows any differently, please share with us
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it...

bobobo

Re: Self-employed since May'12

Post by bobobo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:31 am

imads wrote:Hi,

I am eligible to apply for Naturalization now. I started by reading the AN Guide and Booklet and got a bit stuck filling few sections of the AN form. Please advise how to proceed with the below:

1. For the past 6 years I have been living at the same address. Initially this accommodation was a bachelors pad and they had many students among them who had the council tax exempted on this address since before I arrived. But I took over the residence in Aug 2009 and have been paying the council tax since. My question is whether will there be any implications of not paying the council tax in my first two and half year at this residence?
No CT payments matter from when you moved in
2. I was employed in a full-time position (permanent) until April'12 and since May'12 I am self-employed (Director of my own Limited Company). I have been taking salary as a director and dividends as well. While the PAYE tax liability is paid up-to-date, the corporation tax is not due until April'13. My questions are:
A. What proof should I give for self assessment (which am not due yet)
The last Self Assesment statement from HMRC, when you paid tax
B. I did not know that I was liable to pay Class 2 NI, do I have to pay this now before applying for naturalization?
NOpe
C. Do I have to show my full-time employment documents (P45 and salary slips) for period before April'12? If yes, for what period?
Nope
D. In the Tax Office Address or Tax Office Reference field, which reference number do I need to provide? PAYE tax reference number?
Tax Office Reference number so that they can identify the Tax office to confirm your details with
E. What option should I select Self-Employed or Director?
Self Employed

Apologies if I sound daft. But I haven't been able to figure out anything from the guide AN or booklet re this. Please help me out.

was exactly in he same situation, spoke to HMRC and they said HO only confirm the last time you paid tax, next payable date and if you have been evading tax at all.

Thanks a lot
Imad S