ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UNMARRIED PARTNERS???

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

blessedlady

UNMARRIED PARTNERS???

Post by blessedlady » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:19 pm

I would like to know if someone established an affair/relationship, can he apply for a unmarried partner. The guy is married. He is presently in a long term relationship but unable to marry.

He came to this country (transit visa only) but decided to stay. Met a girl (he offered a marriage -convenience only, he's willing to pay. the girl didn't agree. Continue their relationship. Since the girl is a Citizen, has a goog job. He supported the man. Financially, almost evertything. Can the guy apply for entry cleance visa (Unmarried Partner) because the annulment will take long to file in his country.

Even he file a divorce in UK, it is not valid in his country of residence.
As the application for entry clearance visa will normally be made in the country of residence, ECO will be placed to determine whether a particular marriage is valid under local law. So there is no point of getting a divorce in the UK, go back, apply for entry clearance visa. Surely the visa will be refused.

Thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: UNMARRIED PARTNERS???

Post by Wanderer » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:23 pm

blessedlady wrote:I would like to know if someone established an affair/relationship, can he apply for a unmarried partner. The guy is married. He is presently in a long term relationship but unable to marry.

He came to this country (transit visa only) but decided to stay. Met a girl (he offered a marriage -convenience only, he's willing to pay. the girl didn't agree. Continue their relationship. Since the girl is a Citizen, has a goog job. He supported the man. Financially, almost evertything. Can the guy apply for entry cleance visa (Unmarried Partner) because the annulment will take long to file in his country.

As the application for entry clearance visa will normally be made in the country of residence, ECO will be placed to determine whether a particular marriage is valid under local law. So there is no point of getting a divorce in the UK, go back, apply for entry clearance visa. Surely the visa will be refused.

Thanks
So he's an illegal? If so he'll have to leave to apply for UPV from his his own country.

blessedlady

Re: UNMARRIED PARTNERS???

Post by blessedlady » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:57 pm

Wanderer wrote:
blessedlady wrote:I would like to know if someone established an affair/relationship, can he apply for a unmarried partner. The guy is married. He is presently in a long term relationship but unable to marry.

Thanks
So he's an illegal? If so he'll have to leave to apply for UPV from his his own country.

So, UPV is possible. Thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:59 pm

How long have he and his partner lived together?
John

blessedlady

Post by blessedlady » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:23 pm

John wrote:How long have he and his partner lived together?
They lived together since year 2000. I believe the guy was force to this relationship because he is so desperate. It was difficult for a man to find a job compare if you are a woman. He has to support his family abroad. Well anyway, I think he has fallen for this woman.
Is it possible to apply for Unmarried Partner Visa??

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:45 pm

blessedlady wrote:
They lived together since year 2000. I believe the guy was force to this relationship because he is so desperate. It was difficult for a man to find a job compare if you are a woman. He has to support his family abroad. Well anyway, I think he has fallen for this woman.
Sorry but I'm having difficulty understanding this...

The guy is in UK, illegal but married to a British Citizen?

He has a girlfriend in another country who he wants to bring here on UPV?

His wife supports him but he supports his gf abroad?

Has he lived with his girlfriend at all? If not he can't get UPV. He can't get UPV in any case since as I see it he has no status in UK.

Unless I've misundersttod the situation?

blessedlady

Post by blessedlady » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:31 pm

Wanderer wrote:
blessedlady wrote:

Has he lived with his girlfriend at all? If not he can't get UPV. He can't get UPV in any case since as I see it he has no status in UK.

Unless I've misundersttod the situation?
The guy is illegal, and married , came in the UK as a transit Visa.
Has a girlfriend (nat. citizen))and started living together since year 2000.
Divorce is possible in the UK but not valid in the country of origin (of the man) And even if the divorce is granted, the ECO will take the validity of marriage under local law.
Can he apply for a visa (Unmarried Partner)?? instead

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:03 pm

blessedlady wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
blessedlady wrote:

Unless I've misundersttod the situation?[/quote

The guy is illegal, and married , came in the UK as a transit Visa.
Has a girlfriend (nat. citizen))and started living together since year 2000.
Divorce is possible in the UK but not valid in the country of origin (of the man) And even if the divorce is granted, the ECO will take the validity of marriage under local law.
Can he apply for a visa (Unmarried Partner)?? instead
I think I'm getting it now - he is married in his home country then? Which is? (might be relevant)

I have previously been advised that time spent as an illegal counts towards UPV, which pissed me off no end since we've bent over backwards to get our UPV with all-legal stay.

However I suspect he can't apply till he regularises his immigration status, ie goes back home and applies from there which opens up a whole new can of worms.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:13 pm

I can't see how he'd be able to prove they have been living together if he hasn't even been working?
believe the guy was force to this relationship because he is so desperate. It was difficult for a man to find a job compare if you are a woman. He has to support his family abroad.
Since the girl is a Citizen, has a goog job. He supported the man. Financially, almost evertything.
(actually the second quote came first...)

Does he have a job now, or bank statements, joint statements of any form- basically what has he been doing since he came so that they have enough documentation for a UPV? Where's his proof that he has been here all the time, and not somewhere else?

Also- isn't it likely that the ECO might well think it's a form of convinience as he has been there for so long but hasn't tried to get a divorce and sort out his status (i.e. could have done it 3, 4, etc years ago and become legally resident in the UK by now)? Heck, even spouses can't always get a visa (search board)!