ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife has new passport - ILR sticker?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

simmo

Wife has new passport - ILR sticker?

Post by simmo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:24 pm

Know this is probably a basic question but these things tend to make me nervous so thought I would ask anyway.

My wife is a Canadian citizen with Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK (ILR). She has just renewed her Canadian passport and received her new document yesterday from the Canadian High Commission in London. They also cancelled and returned her old passport with her Indefinite Leave to Remain sticker in it.

Am I correct in saying that she is able to travel back into the UK by presenting both passports (new one to travel on and old to show proof of her resident status)? She doesn't need to take any further action? Is this the sort of thing that will cause IOs to raise an eyebrow or is it perfectly normal?

Thanks a lot in advance!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:39 pm

She can travel with both passports as ILR does not expire when a passport does or she can apply (and pay a fee) to transfer her ILR to her new passport, link below :

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... -passport/
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

simmo

Post by simmo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks for the quick and most informative reply! :)

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:38 pm

but ffor the sake of stapling the two passports together at the back - or putting them together in a book / wallet... is it WORTH paying the money to transfer them if you dont need to...

- just carry both with you :)