ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First time adult Passport app. for Naturalised citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Khurram

First time adult Passport app. for Naturalised citizen

Post by Khurram » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:09 pm

Hi, my wife has recently applied for her naturalisation and doing some forward thinking I was going through the British Passport's application form which seems to have changed over the last couple of months!

Just wanted to ask if section 4 needs to be filled in for a 'naturalised' British citizen (born before 31 Dec 1982 and outside of UK to non-British parents)? Also would like to know for such a 'naturalised' applicant, whose non-British parents were born abroad, would there be a need for the full name, town, country, date of birth and date of marriage of the grandparents?

I did write in to the UKPA, and this is the reply I've got
Thank you for your enquiry.

Yes you will have to complete section 4. You will have to submit all this information.

Thank you
What I can't seem to be able to work out is that if one's parents are non-British, then as per the guidance notes it implies one can't claim citizenship by descent, so what's the need of providing information about one's grandparents? And one final thing, are we talking about paternal or maternal grandparents or both?

Regards

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:52 pm

Also what happens if you don't have this information? For example all my grandparents are dead. I can barely remember their names, nevermind their date and places of birth.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:19 pm

Dawie wrote:Also what happens if you don't have this information? For example all my grandparents are dead. I can barely remember their names, nevermind their date and places of birth.
Give as much detail as you can and just explain the rest. There is absolutely no reason for the Passport Office to refuse a passport if you supply a naturalisation certificate and if they behave unreasonably then immediately contact your Member of Parliament.

If they do refuse a passport, they have to refund the fee.

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:57 am

I was told by the post office 'check and send' lady to ignore the parent/grandparent bit as it doesnt apply to naturalised citizens, and my application went through fine.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

Khurram

Post by Khurram » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:10 am

Thanks for the replies. May be there ought to be a bit more explanation within the guidance notes for naturalised applicants.

Once we are at the stage of making the passport application, for the benefit of others I'll update this thread.

Regards

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:43 pm

Khurram wrote:Thanks for the replies. May be there ought to be a bit more explanation within the guidance notes for naturalised applicants.

Once we are at the stage of making the passport application, for the benefit of others I'll update this thread.

Regards
The passport application form is very poor. Not so long ago, there were different forms for different types of applications based on the way citizenship had been obtained. That was all very well, and if you used the right form everything was straightforward enough, but people were forever trying to use the wrong form or were often unclear about which form to use. Therefore, all the information was put on to the one form, but it falls down in that it doesn't explain sufficiently which bits of information are necessary/applicable to which people, as you have discovered. You can't go wrong by filling in the whole form, assuming of course that you have the information to hand.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:05 am

When I put my application in about 6 months ago, I only put my parents details in, not my grandparents as they were almost impossible to confirm. When I was at the desk (I went into Peterborough to get the quick service) I asked the lady and she said dont worry about as long as your parents details are there it'll be okay.

Whats really strange is if you go through the automated system on the website, and you state you are naturalised, you wont even get asked for your parents detials let alone your grand parents details.

Khurram

Post by Khurram » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:59 am

Whats really strange is if you go through the automated system on the website, and you state you are naturalised, you wont even get asked for your parents detials let alone your grand parents details.
Thanks. Seems to be a good option.

Regards

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:40 am

It would make sense that for naturalised citizens there is no requirement for parent's or grandparent's details because there is no way for the Home Office to verify this information. You could make it all up and they would be none the wiser.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:57 am

Dawie wrote:It would make sense that for naturalised citizens there is no requirement for parent's or grandparent's details because there is no way for the Home Office to verify this information. You could make it all up and they would be none the wiser.
And what's more important, the Home Office doesn't actually need to know the information for the purpose of the form - who the parents and grandparents of a naturalised citizen are (or were) is entirely irrelevant to that citizen's application for a passport.