ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NARIC COMPARISON HITCH - wording of letter- advice pls-

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

umeshsethi

NARIC COMPARISON HITCH - wording of letter- advice pls-

Post by umeshsethi » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:15 pm

Hi,
MY friend got his naric done. He has done a PGDBM from New Delhi Inst. of Management. Naric guys have put in letter " is considered equivalent to British PG Diploma standard".

Now i dont get what that means. Another guy i know of got his PGDM declared equivalent to masters. Even IIMS in INDIA give diploma if i am not wrong (which is considered equivalent to MBA in India and abroad) .

SO any idea - what does the statement mean - " that they checked and found it ONLY equiv. to diploma and not Masters" OR "they didn't check at all for Masters". Anyone in same boat ?

P.S - He has already sent a mail to them for clarific... Any idea if they are on HOLS ?

Regards
Umesh Sethi

Jk2007
BANNED

Post by Jk2007 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:09 pm

Did your friend send the proof to NARIC that the PGDM has been recognised in India as equivalent to Master degree?

umeshsethi

Post by umeshsethi » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:04 am

Jk2007 wrote:Did your friend send the proof to NARIC that the PGDM has been recognised in India as equivalent to Master degree?
No mate its not really required i believe , it was mentioned in the covering letter. Its their job to evaluate and they strictly ask for only covering letter and xerox of certs and marksheets
Umesh Sethi

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:21 am

Hi Umesh,

So in this case, he can only claim points for the Bachelors degree, if found comparable to UK bachelor.

This is really rediculous.
Any one has any idea, of IIM grads? Does anyone know abt NARIC eavaluation of IIM - PGDM OR PGDBM.

This is an interesting qualification evaluation mess here.

Hope AICTE can help on this. Check with them, try to get a letter fro ACITE or the Institute. There must be some reason, why in India, also it is officially PGDM or PGDBM instead of regular MBAs.
One reason, if the degree is awarded by university it is most likely MBA.
If the degree is awarded by a Deemed university or an AICTE Accredited INSTITUTE, most likely it will be PGDM, or PGDBM.

Hope I am able to give you some idea on this.

NNJ10

Jk2007
BANNED

Post by Jk2007 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:29 am

I think PGDM in this case may be considered as Professional Qualification. In case of Professional Qualifications, it is better to provide proof such as a letter fronm the Institute stating that the PGDM was recognised as equivalent to Master degree.

I am not sure if the Government of India has granted deemed university status to IIMs, then in that case, IIMs could award MBAs rather than PGDMs.

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:48 am

Hi JK,

I dont see PGDM could be considered as a professional qualification.
example of professional qualification is CA, ICWA etc.

PGDM or MBA, are academic qualifications as far as I understand.

NNJ10

Jk2007
BANNED

Post by Jk2007 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:58 am

nnj10,

I think IIMs are premier institutions but I think they are not Universities, that is why they were not awarding degrees. Even their Doctoral programmes are called Fellowship programmes, not Phds.

That is why I thought PGDM might be considered as Professional Qualification.

umeshsethi

degree issues

Post by umeshsethi » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:20 pm

Well i dont think PGDM or MBA etc. is a professional course. Infact i am pretty sure it isnt .... and those who have professional course will have additonal trouble i think because new rules mention that they have to get letter from "BRITISH equiv. governing authority" to prove veracity of it.. HSMP guidance notes - pt 7 i believe...

And also nnj some PGDM guys did get naric equivalency to MBA.... i'm sure it includes IIM's so i guess we just need to enquire at NARIC.

I think NARIC should make it clearer in their letter.. right now its open to interpretation whether equiv. with british master has been checked at all or Not in this case.

nyways thanks for ur suggestions.
Umesh Sethi

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: NARIC COMPARISON HITCH - wording of letter- advice pls-

Post by pantaiema » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:13 pm

I do not know about Indian Education system. But what I know for sure is that In the UK PG diploma is considered lower than Master's degree.

Normally in the UK. PG diploma is Post graduate study leading to Master's degree but Minus Dissertation.
If someone who has got PG dioploma want to get master's degree they need to register again and write their thesis.

Hope this will kanswer your questions.

Pantaiema
umeshsethi wrote:Hi,
MY friend got his naric done. He has done a PGDBM from New Delhi Inst. of Management. Naric guys have put in letter " is considered equivalent to British PG Diploma standard".

Now i dont get what that means. Another guy i know of got his PGDM Regards

freebirds

Post by freebirds » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:31 pm

guys,
one small clarification.
my NARIC letter says,

1. country-India

title of award: MBA
year-93
assessment: is considered comparable to british taught masters degree standard

2. country: India

title of award: bachelor of commerce
year-97
assessment: is considered comparable to british bachelor (ordinary) degree standard..

what does this ordiary mean...does the above two indicate that my MBA and degree are equal to british masters and bachehlor degrees

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:41 pm

I do not really understand what you are asking>
The letter clearly say.
Your MBA degree is equivalent to UK Master's degree (not PG diploma)
Your Bachelor of commerce is equivalent to UK bachelor degree

Pantaiema

freebirds wrote:guys,
one small clarification.
my NARIC letter says,

1. country-India

title of award: MBA
year-93
assessment: is considered comparable to british taught masters degree standard

2. country: India

title of award: bachelor of commerce
year-97
assessment: is considered comparable to british bachelor (ordinary) degree standard..

what does this ordiary mean...does the above two indicate that my MBA and degree are equal to british masters and bachehlor degrees

freebirds

Post by freebirds » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:13 pm

ok. i am new to NARIC kind of things. So I dont understand their english.

someone else in this forum wrote their letter as ' is considered equivalent' and my letter had ' is considered comparable'. this has raised my doubts.

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:58 pm

"Ordinary" word in NARIC letter means "Not Honours".
Here in UK and some universities in India offer two type of bachelor degrees. "Ordinary" and "Honours".
"Honours" degree is considered little higher than ordinary ones, but since last 25 years or so most universities have omitted the word "Honours" since the education standards have increased and there is not much difference between honours and ordinary.

But here in UK they still have some honours degree and just to differentiate "ordinary" word is used in NARIC letter.

Now for PGDBM or PGDM, if you have done from IIT, IIM or CEPT or any other institute, in india institute are not allowed to give "Bachelor Degree" or "Master Degree". Institutes are specialized institution for particular field. Only universities give "Bachelor or Master" degree. Institute give "Diploma" or "Fellowship". For example, my brother did 5 years course in "Building and Construction Technology" from CEPT, Ahmedabad, now he got "Diploma in Building and Construction Technology" but this diploma is considered equivalent or some times higher as in his case than the norma bachelor degree from the university. He further went to Steven Institute of Technology in USA who have considered his diploma as a degree and that is the case for all the institutes in India.
But now if you have done a diploma after your bachelor from this institutes then you get "Post Graduate Diploma" which is considered equivalent to any other post graduate diploma and it is not equivalent to masters, henc your PGDM from IIM new delhi is considered norma post graduate diploma, as IIM can award MBA which is considered Masters degree. Hope this helps.

Jk2007
BANNED

Post by Jk2007 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:34 pm

[quote="neoseal..if you have done from IIT, IIM or CEPT or any other institute, in india institute are not allowed to give "Bachelor Degree" or "Master Degree". [/quote]

IITs award degrees (BTech, MTech, Phds) though. It appears that IITs have got Deemed University status.

first2last4

Post by first2last4 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:27 am

So in a nutshell if freebird would have to submit his "bachelor of commerce" degree he would be awarded point 30 point for that.
Knowledge which is concealed is lost -Hadith

gumnam
Newly Registered

PGDM from IIM is equal to Bristish taught Masters degree

Post by gumnam » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:50 pm

I received my evaluation from NARIC and they have equated my PGDM from IIM (Indian Institute of Management) to a British taught Masters degree

Also as per NARIC, BBS (Bachelor of Business Studies) degree from University of Delhi is comparable to British taught Bachelor's degree

Gallian100

Re: PGDM from IIM is equal to Bristish taught Masters degree

Post by Gallian100 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:18 am

Hi Guys,
What is the difference between Becholar (HONS) and Becholar (Ordinary) in terms of points to claim for?

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: PGDM from IIM is equal to Bristish taught Masters degree

Post by pantaiema » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 am

In term of point, there is no difference at all. If it is recognised, you jshould get 30 points

Pantaiema
Gallian100 wrote:Hi Guys,
What is the difference between Becholar (HONS) and Becholar (Ordinary) in terms of points to claim for?

vimg07

Taught Masters Degree

Post by vimg07 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:48 pm

Hello,

Today i got letter from naric saying..

Degree comparable to British taught masters degree....

What is difference between masters and taught master’s degree...

Also how does it differs in claiming points

Please advice

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: Taught Masters Degree

Post by pantaiema » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:41 pm

In the UK there are two kind of Master's degree. Master By research (MRes) and Taught Master (MSC, MA, etc). For HSMP purpose both are the same you wil be awarded 35 point.

Good luck with your application

Pantaiema
vimg07 wrote:Hello,

Today i got letter from naric saying..

Degree comparable to British taught masters degree....

What is difference between masters and taught master’s degree...

Also how does it differs in claiming points

Please advice

anandpathak

NARIC assesed post graduate diploma..tier 1 points ??

Post by anandpathak » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi Gurus,
I need your help urgently on a unusual assesment done by NARIC .

My qualification details :
Post graduate Diploma in Industrail engineeting
Instute : National Institute of Industrial Engineering
Year of Award :2004.

Today i received a "Letter of comparability" from NARIC stating that my qualification assesment is "is considered comparable to British post graduate diploma standard" The letter was issues on 17th Dec 09.

The unusual part is my Classmate ( same instute, same year of passing ,same course) got the assesment as " is considered comparable to British taught Masters degree standard" .Letter issued of Feb 2009.

I am aware that according to the UK NARIC framework while my assesment falls under NARIC band 12 my classmate's assessment shows under NARIC band 13 and both of these according to FHEQ are Master's level. However my question is ; do all NARIC bands which fall under FHEQ Masters score same '35' points under PBS of Tier I general visa application for Masters Qualification

Please help me if there i anyway i can get this issue resolved.

Best Regards
Anand