ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

travelling to Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

frankie36
Ireland

travelling to Ireland

Post by frankie36 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:52 am

Dear Gurus,

My non-EEA husband and I (EEA citizen) are travelling to Northern Ireland and are planning on visiting the Rep. of Ireland. He currently has an EEA FP to reside in UK with me and is awaiting his RC card. We were not planning to request a visa for the Republic from the Irishh embassy in UK as they request evidence in the form of a stamp in the passport which indicates that my husband is entitled to stay in the UK for a minimum of 3 months after visiting Rep of Ireland. From previous experience we have found that they do not recognise that the FP allows him to stay in UK indefinitely and deem the expiration date on the FP (his has already expired) as the expiration of his visa despite me arguing that it is an entry clearance visa and it does not expire.

My question is, since there are no border checks between the North and the Republic do we need to present ourselves anywhere to seek a visa on arrival in the Republic or are we legally able to enter the Republic without a visa but with the relevant documention (my passport, his passport and marriage cert)in case we are stopped at any point?

Thanks
Frankie

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: travelling to Ireland

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:28 pm

frankie36 wrote:without a visa but with the relevant documention (my passport, his passport and marriage cert)in case we are stopped at any point?
As long as you can prove you are beneficiaries of directive 2004/38/EC you will be fine. However, if you stay more than three months, you would be expected to have applied for a residence card.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:40 am

http://eumovement.wordpress.com/2010/08 ... to-travel/ is worth reading

In the unlikely event you ever have any problems, be sure to tell each person you talk with that you have your marriage certificate with you. And write down the names and badge numbers of each person.

frankie36
Ireland

Post by frankie36 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks for the very helpful advice Gurus :)