ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA4 Application Pending - Travelling - Need VISA to return?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

teekay125

EEA4 Application Pending - Travelling - Need VISA to return?

Post by teekay125 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:40 pm

Hello All,

I already have EEA2 Residence Documentation stamped valid till July'2014. I recently applied for permanent residence stamp (EEA4). I need to urgently travel to India and my passport has been returned by UKBA, along with forwarding letter stating that I will need to apply for Family Member Visa from India before returning to UK(?). I believe I already have a valid visa, & should return to UK on the same. There should not be requirement to apply for a new Family Member visa from India. This letter seems like computer generated one / factually incorrect. Could someone please share your experience with this? Also is there a way to get confirmation from UKBA on this? Phone calls are going unanswered. Is there some email Id to query?
Thanks,
Tony

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:00 am

Your understanding is correct. This is a standard letter issued to everyone so they cover the worst case scenario. As you have a valid RC, you don't need to apply for an entry clearance.

teekay125

Post by teekay125 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:19 am

Jambo wrote:Your understanding is correct. This is a standard letter issued to everyone so they cover the worst case scenario. As you have a valid RC, you don't need to apply for an entry clearance.
Many thanks Jambo for the reply! Seems I can be almost certain of this but before travelling, will be good to have some sort of official clarification / confirmation, & avoid any unpleasant issues later. Is there some way to get UKBA to respond to this? Any mail ID? Or is it completely unnecessary?

By the way I have written to VFS office asking the same question. Will post here when they reply.

Thanks again,
Tony

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:26 am

You can try but I don't think anyone in the HO would give you an definitive answer. The best you could get would probably be - "it depends", "we recommend you have Family Permit", "The Immigration Officer at the airport would decide based on your circumstances" etc.

Don't worry. Have you travelled in the past? Have you had any issues travelling? Nothing has really changed. Your RC is still valid.

teekay125

Post by teekay125 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:46 am

Jambo wrote:You can try but I don't think anyone in the HO would give you an definitive answer. The best you could get would probably be - "it depends", "we recommend you have Family Permit", "The Immigration Officer at the airport would decide based on your circumstances" etc.

Don't worry. Have you travelled in the past? Have you had any issues travelling? Nothing has really changed. Your RC is still valid.
:) Thanks again for the reply. I can clearly see what you are saying and fully agree, just double checking that UKBA / immigration guy using UKBA systems, don't give some nasty surprise. I have travelled many times in past (both alone and with wife/kids) and there were no issues. In fact when I was with my family, UKBA staff asked us to always go via UK/EU citizens queue. I hope the VFS office from India will come back with some response, as it is their job to issue visa.

Have a nice day!
Tony

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:39 am

teekay125 wrote:I hope the VFS office from India will come back with some response, as it is their job to issue visa.
I would not trust what VFS say. They don't issue the visa but just act as a front desk for the BHC. Their understanding of EEA regulations is normally not very impressive.

teekay125

Post by teekay125 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:42 am

Jambo wrote:
teekay125 wrote:I hope the VFS office from India will come back with some response, as it is their job to issue visa.
I would not trust what VFS say. They don't issue the visa but just act as a front desk for the BHC. Their understanding of EEA regulations is normally not very impressive.
VFS have sent this acknowledgement - "Thank you for contacting VFS UK Visa Helpdesk.

With regards to your query, please be informed that your email has been forwarded to the concerned department.

Further, please note that we will get back to you once we get clarity on the same."

UKnow

Re: EEA4 Application Pending - Travelling - Need VISA to ret

Post by UKnow » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:46 pm

teekay125 wrote:Hello All,

I already have EEA2 Residence Documentation stamped valid till July'2014. I recently applied for permanent residence stamp (EEA4). I need to urgently travel to India and my passport has been returned by UKBA, along with forwarding letter stating that I will need to apply for Family Member Visa from India before returning to UK(?). I believe I already have a valid visa, & should return to UK on the same. There should not be requirement to apply for a new Family Member visa from India. This letter seems like computer generated one / factually incorrect. Could someone please share your experience with this? Also is there a way to get confirmation from UKBA on this? Phone calls are going unanswered. Is there some email Id to query?
Thanks,
Tony

Tony, I had the same situation and mine (RC) was even expired when I had to travel. I am not sure if you are travelling with your EU family member or not. If you are and you have a valid visa (RC until 2014) to enter the UK again, then there is nothing for you to worry about.
If you are not travelling with your EU family member, you still have the RC until 2014, then again it should not be a problem.
The standard letter as Jambo mentioned is mainly to draw your attention that the airlines ( which is where the issue could be) may not allow you to board a flight back to the UK if you do not have the right visa to come to the UK.
You have a valid RC ( until 2014) so nothing to worry about at all here.
UKnow

teekay125

Re: EEA4 Application Pending - Travelling - Need VISA to ret

Post by teekay125 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:31 pm

You have a valid RC ( until 2014) so nothing to worry about at all here.
Many thanks for the reply and sharing your experience Uknow.