ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Incomplete Course-Does the 5 Yr Rule & 8 Yr Long Rule ap

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

poonamk
Newly Registered

Incomplete Course-Does the 5 Yr Rule & 8 Yr Long Rule ap

Post by poonamk » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:36 am

Hi

I'd be grateful for the experts advice. I'm currently on tier 4 studying B.Sc hons degree level course since May-2010, the course was going to finish in Feb-13 but I had a major surgery hence was unable to complete the dissertation, the college has agreed to defer the course to May-13. My question is if the 5 yr rule for degree level courses or the 8 yr long student rule applies to me as I first came in the UK in June 2003.

My previous immigration history is as follows:

June 2003 - June 2004: Student leave to study diploma course.

July 2004 - July 2007: Applied for student leave, home office rejected the leave as the college closed down, I appealed against the decision, which was dismissed with the judge's recommendation to make a fresh application.

August 2007: Made fresh application to home office and didn't hear back anything until May 2008.

May 2008 - May 2010: Student leave to study hotel management diploma.

June 2010 - Feb 2013: Tier 4 for B.Sc. hons. hospitality degree course.

As my previous courses were below degree level, will I now get the extension to complete my dissertation until May-13 or will the 5 yr rule cause problems?

Will the 8 yr long rule cause problems as I first came in June 2003, or will the continuity be from May 2008 as I had the gap from July 2004 - April 2008?

My heart is sinking very low, I will be very grateful for all your help.

Many Thanks in anticipation

Deviser

Post by Deviser » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:52 am

I think 8 years rule will cause problem coz after all you were here in UK on student visa during your gap period.

quantum1
Member of Standing

Post by quantum1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:36 pm

I do not think there will be a problem, since you were not granted leave over the period of the gap it should not count.

poonamk
Newly Registered

Post by poonamk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:13 am

Thanks very much Quantum and Deviser for your opinion, much grateful.

I wonder what anyone thinks about the 5 year rule for degree courses?

Deviser

Re: Incomplete Course-Does the 5 Yr Rule & 8 Yr Long Rul

Post by Deviser » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:58 pm

poonamk wrote: June 2010 - Feb 2013: Tier 4 for B.Sc. hons. hospitality degree course.

As my previous courses were below degree level,
You already answered your question. If all diploma courses were below NQF Level 6, I think five year rule will not be a problem.

But, still, I think 8 years rule will cause a problem in your case. But as you got a complicated history, the exact thing will come after application and decision.