ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA family permit & MMC

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jundoc
Newly Registered

EEA family permit & MMC

Post by jundoc » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:46 pm

Hi,

I'm new here, and I really find this forum useful.
I'm a fresh non-EU grad doctor. I get married to a spanish national and we are thinking to move to the UK in near future. As known, I should enter the country on EEA family permit which is valid for 6 months. Once I am there I'll apply for a Residence Card (which may take further 4-6 months to be issued).
So, I was just wondering if I can apply for an NHS job while I'm on EEA family permit? or should I wait till I get my Residence Card before I apply for job?

Due to the new MMC system, doc jobs are offered once a year. Unless you can get a job this year, you have to wait another year.

Any help is highly apprecited.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am

UK Government wrote:Do my family members need a residence card?
Your non-EEA family members can, if they want to, apply to the Immigration and Nationality Directorate for a residence card once they are in the UK. They do not have to do this – it simply confirms that they have a right to live with you in the UK because you have a right of residence.

Non-EEA family members who have a valid residence card do not need to get an EEA family permit each time they enter the UK after travelling abroad.

Source: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 068382#Q17
You can start applying for a job as soon as you have a EEA family permit, and may even be able to apply before that (depending on NHS rules). An important part of the European rules is that have to be coming to live in the UK with your spouse.

Medical issues will be more challenging than visas, though maybe you have already sorted them out.

Did you study medicine in a European country? If so I think you need to register yourself with the GMC, which takes a bit of time and costs money but is not too bad. I have no idea what you have to do if you are not a European trained doctor, though it is definitely possible. Will you work as a JHO or SHO? There are always possibilities of jobs outside of the MMC schedule, but you have to be willing to move to very beautiful places in the UK.

osiris

Post by osiris » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:30 am

Looking at the FAQ on the MMC website, Non-EEA family members of EEA nationals would be considered for training.
http://www.mmc.nhs.uk/pages/specialitie ... as[/quote]

Bear in mind that as a Non-EU graduate, you must take an IELTS examination, even if your first language is english.
A minimum score of 7.5/9 is required. In addition, one must gain GMC registration through a number of possible routes. Check out the GMC website.

You mention that you are a fresh graduate. Where did you go to medical school? If from the UK, the IELTS exam will not apply to you.

jundoc
Newly Registered

Re: EEA family permit & MMC

Post by jundoc » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:54 pm

cnt'd
Last edited by jundoc on Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jundoc
Newly Registered

Post by jundoc » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:55 pm

cnt'd
Last edited by jundoc on Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jundoc
Newly Registered

Post by jundoc » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:55 pm

Thanks mates ..

Directive/2004/38/EC:
I will definitely move to the country with my spouse. Intially, I'll apply for an F1 post after I get provisional/limited registeration in GMC. (I'm qualified outside EU, however GMC considers both EU & non-EU medical schools graduates eligible for limited reg as they are exercising Treaty rights in the UK).

osiris:
I've sat in the IELTS and got the 7 which is necessary for the GMC registeration.

I'm only scared of missing one year in case I can't apply for an MMC job while I'm still on EEA family permit.

Thanks again.